Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kwinten)
    Really? That's brilliant. Where did you stay? Huis ter Duin? Wassenaar is still like half an hour away :p:

My school is just the local secundary school, Leeuwenhorst. I reckon your cousin is going to the International school in Wassenaar?
    Nah I stayed at my cousins', I just visited the beach at Noordwijk. :p: And yeah my cousins went to ASH (American School of the Hague).

Small world.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by passthelemon)
    this is bullsh*t. At Exeter College at least in last year's selection process for PPE, all decent essays got an interview - regardless of multiple choice performance.
    in true style of the TSA, the fact that they had good essays and got an interview does not mean it was cause and effect. You didn't say how they did on multi choice? I didn't say a good essay was worthless, only that the mutliple choice was more important.

I base this on what my teacher told me, who actually asked admissions tutors at oxbridge and was told that the multiple choice was more important because

-tests candidates on a much wider range of skills than the essay
    -with the essay it is possible to have a 'bad day', tackling a title you don't like and messing up. however, with the multi choice, there are no plausible excuses for poor performance (other than health).
    -multi choice more objective and easier to compare candidates. essay critique is quite subjective.

put that in your pipe and smoke it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    PPE regents park.

btw thanks to amy here.

there was this question where I could you use t1 + t2 = t3

i think it was "x/2km/h + x/4km/h = 4,5h" for the up/down hill question.
    (was this in the test or in a paper i did before?^^)

anyway, thanks
    was that me??

ReputationRep:
    random question.
    Everyone keeps talking about the pyramid question - what was that, seemly i've forgotten it.

ReputationRep:
    I think it was the last question, with coloured sides?

Okay, I REALLY messed up.

ReputationRep:
    yep, i think that was you.

do u mean only the first part?
    everyone was worse in the actual test than he was before, so its okay to mess up a little.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stashup)
    Thx Athena for opening the thread again.

I really do think it was harder. I'm afraid I might only have gotten about 30/50. I too skipped a lot of the "long calculation" questions but I think even the flaw-finding tasks etc. were much harder. I believe that if it's the general consensus that it was harder than last years and any of the similar practice papers I think they might take that into account and be a little less harsh with the interview-selection.
    I found the essay questions not to be what I had expected. Anyway I took the "giving a reason for actions = rational actions" question and argued that there are reflex or emotional actions have a reason but are not the result of a conscious (rational) calculation. I believe it went quite well so I'm not writing myself off just yet^^
    I thought it was harder than last year too, and I used just the same argument in that essay. But I think I did not manage bad at all.

ReputationRep:
    i'm going to be honest I really screwed up the multiple chocie, though the essay question was absolutely fine. anyone else do the europe invading the usa to stop the death penalty one?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achajecki)
    Yep, I did

What did you get on the long mathsy 'minimum price for a meal' question? I remember I must have made an arithmetical error somewhere because I calculated 17 (which sadly wasnt one of the answers) so I put down 16.
    That one i put 22, i spent ages on it because i read it as it only does evening sessions on Tuesday and saturday instead of tuesday to saturday.

my reasoning was:
    36000 for rent
    9000 other bills
    1200 a week (45 weeks wages)
    10 sessions a week x 20 average in a session x £5 for the meal x 45 weeks
    add all that up then divide by 10 x 20 x 45 (total amount of people in a year)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    I don't know whether this will take off, but while searching through old theads, I saw that there had been a 2008 TSA thread so I thought we could do we a 2009 one...

So, to all PPE, E+M, EP and PPP applicants,

how are you planning on preparing for the test this year?

People often suggest past papers but how can we access these? Only one seems to be available on the TSA site...

I also did Critical Thinking AS level and the questions seem quite similar so I suppose I'll be looking through my old notes...

Has anyone (past applicants) found the suggested reading useful for preparation?

Thanks!

................................ ................................ ...............................
    Okay, so I've decided to compile a list of applicants posting on this thread so we know who everyone is:

PPE applicants
    Graphix (Univ)
    Kneechuh (Univ)
    trollman (Exeter)
    Buffyboy (St. Peter's)
    Mia:X (Oriel)
    PaddyD15 (Oriel)
    Caerus (New)
    Merk that Sike of a Mike (New)
    izinku (Wadham)
    moreiniho (St. Anne's)
    Salparadise (Manchester Harris)
    Coughsplutter (Balliol)
    PNEJOE (Trinity)
    TopSlacker (Jesus)

EP applicants
    Melaie (St John's/Wadham/Balliol)
    Retrospect
    llacerta (Brasenose)

E&M applicants
    Adam92 (Pembroke)
    Clements- (Hertford)
    *shooting*star* (Hertford)
    Kwinten (Brasenose)
    j1991 (St Edmund Hall)
    kaderk (Wadham)
    MrBosley (Trinity)

PPP applicants
    Rophy (St. John's)
    Hey, add me! xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Achajecki)
    What did you get on the long mathsy 'minimum price for a meal' question? I remember I must have made an arithmetical error somewhere because I calculated 17 (which sadly wasnt one of the answers) so I put down 16.
    I did the following calculation:
    There are 200 meals a week, 9000 a year,
    If you added the rent and other cost, it was 45000. Divided by 9000, because these were yearly costs, that makes 5 pound a meal.
    The wages were 1200 a week in total, divided by 200 is 6 pound a meal.
    Then there was the buying of ingredients, which was also 5 pound a meal.
    5+6+5 = 16

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randythedude)
    Hey, add me! xxxx

Add me to E&M applicants (Balliol)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    I did the following calculation:
    There are 200 meals a week, 9000 a year,
    If you added the rent and other cost, it was 45000. Divided by 9000, because these were yearly costs, that makes 5 pound a meal.
    The wages were 1200 a week in total, divided by 200 is 6 pound a meal.
    Then there was the buying of ingredients, which was also 5 pound a meal.
    5+6+5 = 16
    If I remember correctly I got the same answer but used what was, in my opinion, a slightly more simplistic calculation. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMCerdeira)
    Add me to E&M applicants (Balliol)
    I'm exactly the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    PPE has been about 50% in the past years, though I reckon it's a bit less this year.
    Is this less than 50% of candidates being interviewed? If so I'm starting to doubt my chances - I thought that the interview could have been one of the strongest parts of my application. :eek3:

I just hope that my multi-choice and rationality essay were good enough. The essay seemed to go quite well and I talked about inherent human biases and how we always seek to affirm our beliefs. Therefore our arguments could well be ignorant of the 'rational' point of view...

I suppose whether I get an interview will also depend on the number of people who have applied to the same college as me, as well as the quality of these applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Consti.Rules)
    Is this less than 50% of candidates being interviewed? If so I'm starting to doubt my chances - I thought that the interview could have been one of the strongest parts of my application. :eek3:
    I'm pretty sure it's near the 50% mark, and I'm also pretty sure that nearly all of us would claim that the interview would be the strongest part of our application (although if you've got straight A*s, I can't see this being the case).

We can only wait and hope... :o:

ReputationRep:
    just under 50%? =/ Wow. *prays to every god imaginable for an ass kicking TSA score*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randythedude)
    Hey, add me! xxxx
    Ok!
    xxxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JonatanMarc)
    Hey guys

Just signed up to give my input on the TSA.

For you guys who calculated it to 17, could it be that you forgot the 5 dollar cost per meal, meaning you should have picked 22? I can't remember what I picked, but I remember my calculations fitting one of the choices.

On the Lorry Driver part I think the important part was that it was straight routes from each city to the other. The one I thought that could not have been right was something like XABXCX, because the lorry driver would have had to drive back through A again after going to B. It's hard to say right now, as I cannot remember the question 100 % after drinking yesterday, but when I sat in there I was looking at it without it making sense and suddenly I realised that this was different from the others and could not be the shortest. It was something with an X missing somewhere... Sorry that this is VERY unclear

On the Zoo question I put that the animals would be unable to live in the wilds, as the main argument of the text was that money should be spent on wildlife habitat instead of on Zoos.
    good to se that at least somebody got the same answers on question all the other ones get different answers! I also got 22 for the meals, XABXCX for the lorry driverm and the wildlife answer to the zoo question..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    yep, i think that was you.

do u mean only the first part?
    everyone was worse in the actual test than he was before, so its okay to mess up a little.
    Mess up a little? I've really messed up, the essay didn't go to well either. Thinking about it, I could have written something better! How long was your essay?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: October 8, 2010
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.