Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is very random (&not appropriate for this thread..but I'm hoping to be forgiven, im guessing everyone here has good taste so I thought i'd ask..)
    I need help choosing a birthday present for my friend. He's quite strange, he doesn't like books, he owns tons of DVD's, he downloads music, I can't buy aftershave/clothing, I have no idea what ps3 Games he likes..what on earth is left?! please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randythedude)
    Hey, add me! xxxx
    add me to PPE magdalen

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    This is very random (&not appropriate for this thread..but I'm hoping to be forgiven, im guessing everyone here has good taste so I thought i'd ask..)
    I need help choosing a birthday present for my friend. He's quite strange, he doesn't like books, he owns tons of DVD's, he downloads music, I can't buy aftershave/clothing, I have no idea what ps3 Games he likes..what on earth is left?! please help!
    Depends on your relationship.. :borat:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    Depends on your relationship.. :borat:
    Erm, that's extremely tricky! :eek3: So, any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by marie303)
    add me to PPE magdalen
    I think you mean to quote me...?

But - okay...!

ReputationRep:
    Erm, that's extremely tricky! :eek3: So, any ideas?
    Judging by how your list exhausts a lot of 'standard' options, have you thought of a novelty gift, or something like 'good' ales that you can pickup?

ReputationRep:
    music.
    u can never download the feeling of a good ----> concert <----

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 09911041)
    music.
    u can never download the feeling of a good ----> concert <----
    I know:p: , I initially bought him tickets for Beyonce (she was performing ON the day of his birthday) and Micheal Mc Intrye (day after), but we erm had an argument, so I ended up selling the Beyonce tickets, and I'm going to see Mc Intrye with my best friend.
    I was hoping to buy something small and thoughtful, I don't particularly want to buy him 'good ale'- I need to post it to him!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tommy Jay)
    ...the multiple choice was more important because

-tests candidates on a much wider range of skills than the essay
    -with the essay it is possible to have a 'bad day', tackling a title you don't like and messing up. however, with the multi choice, there are no plausible excuses for poor performance (other than health).
    -multi choice more objective and easier to compare candidates. essay critique is quite subjective.
    I do not understand how you can have a 'bad day' on the essay but not the multiple choice. As we have all seen, the 2009 TSA was harder than we expected because we were used to the practice exams. It is just as possible that someone would do horribly on the practice exams, found these harder questions actually easier for them. Additionally, multiple choice allows guessing, giving you a 1/5 chance of getting the correct answer. Although the probability of getting all the answers correct is around .0000000000000000000000000000000 0001126, it is still possible. I agree with you that a multiple choice score is more objective than an essay score. It takes a similarly wide range of skills to formulate arguments, find examples, express sound reasoning, and organise it into an essay in 30 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elieshout)
    I did the following calculation:
    There are 200 meals a week, 9000 a year,
    If you added the rent and other cost, it was 45000. Divided by 9000, because these were yearly costs, that makes 5 pound a meal.
    The wages were 1200 a week in total, divided by 200 is 6 pound a meal.
    Then there was the buying of ingredients, which was also 5 pound a meal.
    5+6+5 = 16
    Excellent. This was the answer I got, and started freaking out a bit because everyone else seemed to get 22.

Also, am I the only one who got different essay questions? Well, not literally the only one, but essay questions I had were to do with increasing wages or majority getting its way (can't remember the other two)

I should really stop looking here though. Just freaking me out and there's nothing I can do about it. Have to focus on IB exams

ReputationRep:
    anyone applying to worcester for ppe?

i majorly mucked up the tsa - especiall multiple choice.
    anyone can guess what percentage you need to get an interview?

ReputationRep:
    do people have to do well in the tsa in order to get an interview or do they look at other factors as well?
    i've messed up the tsa and i just want an interview really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kitkatppe)
    anyone applying to worcester for ppe?

i majorly mucked up the tsa - especiall multiple choice.
    anyone can guess what percentage you need to get an interview?
    worcester for E&M
    but i've messed up the tsa so i doubt i'll even get to the interview stage.

ReputationRep:
    yeah neither.
    the student room is too stressful.
    i think i got around 40%! (if that...) i missed out so many

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TsarinaMeg)
    see? I swear, the papers were different!!
    My one had:

1. something about science
    2. electoral systems
    3. whether the law was to make people good, or to stop people from being bad
    and 4. something I can't remember.

Others have had the capital punishment/US-Europe one...
    I don't know... maybe you and Mike had the same paper??
    I think mine had what you're calling the science etc question too, i definitely didn't have the capital punishment/US-Europe one! - i'm in Australia, so i figured that the different questions might have been because of time zones etc, so we couldn't cheat, but maybe they're just being tricky, because the other 3 questions i had were not the same as on your list. i wonder how many lists of questions there were? wierd.

ReputationRep:
    Wow, that sounds great!! I spoke about the how if the elderly are living longer, the total %of illnesses (related to them) would increase. atm its 1/3 people who suffer from dementia, and it set to (nearlly) double by 2050 because of the ageing population. So seeing as they havent yet found a cure, its really important to find something to help them live a better quality of life. So the science research people/scientists and stuff will need to work together.

Then about how the retirement age must go up, and they might be discriminated against due to old age. They may also suffer from alienation etc, so society needs to make sure they have a common consensus etc. (Can't remember what else i wrote!) Then a uberly short conclusion! How long was your essay..one side..or??
    I just about got 2 pages out of it, though my handwriting is a bit bigger than the average. It also deteriorated rapidly when we were told "5 minutes left"...

My conclusion was fairly poor as well, basically restating the question. :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TsarinaMeg)
    see? I swear, the papers were different!!
    My one had:

1. something about science
    2. electoral systems
    3. whether the law was to make people good, or to stop people from being bad
    and 4. something I can't remember.

Others have had the capital punishment/US-Europe one...
    I don't know... maybe you and Mike had the same paper??
    2 and 3 sound like such nice questions! I think if those had come up in my paper I wouldn't have been able to stop smiling. As it is I think the essay still went pretty decently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagikMonkey)
    I just about got 2 pages out of it, though my handwriting is a bit bigger than the average. It also deteriorated rapidly when we were told "5 minutes left"...

My conclusion was fairly poor as well, basically restating the question. :o:
    Thats the reason I decided not to attempt the elderly question. Although, having studied economics, I would have felt more comfortable answering it, I would have absolutely died in the exam because I knew I would have thought of too many ideas, would have wanted to write about them all and then would not have concluded it properly. I think I would have probably talked about political change as well as economic change etc. Maybe would have talked about how important demography is in providing circumstance through which economic growth can be acheived (read an article about demography in Africa recently.)

I'm just worried that whoever reads my 'rationality' essay will not be able to read my handwriting - tis a bit of a scrawl!

ReputationRep:
    Yay TSA discussion.

I thought the test was good, it was just more of the same questions really. I did the 'social effects of an increasing life expectancy rate' essay because we've covered that for weeks in the Economics of Work and Leisure so I felt more comfortable answering that one

ReputationRep:
    so guys, when do we register for the results?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.