Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JRBDK)
    yeah, the respected teachers, lecturers and tutors that play a huge part in making a unversity rank high haven't necessarily studied at top universities themselves. But they achieved respect through work and new ideas
    The most excellent student is not the one to graduate from Oxford but the one to make his own way throughout the hardship to respect.

Be it through Oxford or not.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Oxford is not the be all and end all, I'm very happy with my offer for Politics/Philosophy from Sheffield. It's a highly respected institution, especially for my my course and I find the prospect of learning there for three or more years genuinely exciting

It's even outranked Oxford on its' research score some years. (Obviously League Tables are subjective, before I end up opening this debate again!)

Not saying getting into Oxford for PPE wouldn't be fantastic, I would obviously be delighted if that happened, but it's not likely, and I don't see any shame in going to the next best.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amy123123)
    A place by 21st december?!! Which college have you applied to???????????
    st johns, their timeline says that's when they send out the decision letters by!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Yeah that's right. You don't find out how badly you messed up until after you know if you're in or not. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing... neither really.
    hmm...guess i'll cross that hurdle when i come to it
    i hope you get and interview and whatnot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Coughsplutter)
    Yeah, Oxford is not the be all and end all, I'm very happy with my offer for Politics/Philosophy from Sheffield. It's a highly respected institution, especially for my my course and I find the prospect of learning there for three or more years genuinely exciting

It's even outranked Oxford on its' research score some years. (Obviously League Tables are subjective, before I end up opening this debate again!)

Not saying getting into Oxford for PPE wouldn't be fantastic, I would obviously be delighted if that happened, but it's not likely, and I don't see any shame in going to the next best.
    I got an offer last month for exactly that course...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rophy)
    hmm...guess i'll cross that hurdle when i come to it
    i hope you get and interview and whatnot
    Good luck. Did you go to the open day? I'm sure I remember them saying in the talk that if you met their grade requirements you were guaranteed an interview and if you didn't, your TSA scores would help them decide. Haven't heard that anywhere else though, I'm wondering if I misheard/misunderstood or just dreamt it or something...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    I got an offer last month for exactly that course...
    Congratulations! :woo:

Great minds must apply to the same courses

Sheffield's definately my most realistic choice, though I can cling onto a teensy glimmer of hope for Oxford, if any hope at all :rolleyes: :o:

I wish they'd just hurry up with the invites/rejections already!

ReputationRep:
    Congratulations! :woo:

Great minds must apply to the same courses

Sheffield's definately my most realistic choice, though I can cling onto a teensy glimmer of hope for Oxford, if any hope at all :rolleyes: :o:

I wish they'd just hurry up with the invites/rejections already!
    Tell me about it :P

I can't complain though, I already have double the offers I got last year, even if they're my 9th and 8th choices

Where else did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amiparanoid)
    Tell me about it :P

I can't complain though, I already have double the offers I got last year, even if they're my 9th and 8th choices

Where else did you apply?
    Exeter, Cardiff and Brookes. Cardiff is the intended insurance in the case that I'm rejected from Oxford and firm Sheffield. I am very familiar with the city having spent several months living there and I have a friend base so it made sense at the time I was choosing, but I'm having second thoughts.... I assume it's just the general UCAS 'Aaaagh I've chosen the wrong places!' but am questioning whether it's right for me anymore...:confused: I think I want somewhere new, and want a fresh slate, so going somewhere I've lived before wouldn't fir with that... oh well.

Chose Exeter for the fact the Political Economy and Politics course looked really interesting, plus I like the city.

Brookes, I can't remember why I chose it actually, my tutor was pestering me to choose a much lower offer than my predicted grades and I loved Oxford as a city whenever I've visited so I went with it.

I really wanted to apply to LSE but they're worse than oxford for GCSE's and my academic history is inconsistent. I have more extenuating circumstances than cells in my body but at the end of the day, given the competition, it would be massively unrealistic to have both on my application and I think Oxford was audacious enough a choice :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Exeter, Cardiff and Brookes. Cardiff is the intended insurance in the case that I'm rejected from Oxford and firm Sheffield. I am very familiar with the city having spent several months living there and I have a friend base so it made sense at the time I was choosing, but I'm having second thoughts.... I assume it's just the general UCAS 'Aaaagh I've chosen the wrong places!' but am questioning whether it's right for me anymore...:confused: I think I want somewhere new, and want a fresh slate, so going somewhere I've lived before wouldn't fir with that... oh well.

Chose Exeter for the fact the Political Economy and Politics course looked really interesting, plus I like the city.

Brookes, I can't remember why I chose it actually, my tutor was pestering me to choose a much lower offer than my predicted grades and I loved Oxford as a city whenever I've visited so I went with it.

I really wanted to apply to LSE but they're worse than oxford for GCSE's and my academic history is inconsistent. I have more extenuating circumstances than cells in my body but at the end of the day, given the competition, it would be massively unrealistic to have both on my application and I think Oxford was audacious enough a choice :rolleyes:
    Ahh, you'll be fine! I've applied for Oxford, LSE, Durham and Exeter (and Sheffield). But then, I already have my grades so it's kinda different...

ReputationRep:
    Good luck. Did you go to the open day? I'm sure I remember them saying in the talk that if you met their grade requirements you were guaranteed an interview and if you didn't, your TSA scores would help them decide. Haven't heard that anywhere else though, I'm wondering if I misheard/misunderstood or just dreamt it or something...
    sorry but what course is this? because i thought they only interview a third of the E&M applicants and surely almost everyone would meet their grade requirements.

ReputationRep:
    i went to all the oxford talks but i hadn't decided my college by then so never went to st johns lol and all the big talks i sent my parents to while i wondered round the natural history museum going 'wowww' and the science library...it was big... *guilty face* lol i went on a pratise TSA day and was told that all the colleges treat the TSA differently, because it's so new, i guess we'll just have to see!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rophy)
    i went to all the oxford talks but i hadn't decided my college by then so never went to st johns lol and all the big talks i sent my parents to while i wondered round the natural history museum going 'wowww' and the science library...it was big... *guilty face* lol i went on a pratise TSA day and was told that all the colleges treat the TSA differently, because it's so new, i guess we'll just have to see!
    I did go round St Johns. I remember there was a closed off bit of the library with really really ancient books (like Medieval or something)... That looked cool. Not that I'd ever be allowed access to them.

They said at the EP talk that admissions were all done centrally - they decide who to invite to interview as a department so college choice doesn't come into it. I think they meet up again after interview to make the final decisions.

(Original post by vivianyuen)
    sorry but what course is this? because i thought they only interview a third of the E&M applicants and surely almost everyone would meet their grade requirements.
    Really? Is that all? No, I'm applying for EP. I think they ask for 6 A*s at GCSE (edit - checked the website looking for % asked to interview, and it actually says at least 4A*s)... there might be a fair few without that. The uni as a whole interviews 85% of applicants on average (according to an Oxford admissions tutor who visited our school) and some departments interview near enough everyone. Not actually sure what percentage for EP... never seen the stats on that.

ReputationRep:
    I did go round St Johns. I remember there was a closed off bit of the library with really really ancient books (like Medieval or something)... That looked cool. Not that I'd ever be allowed access to them.

They said at the EP talk that admissions were all done centrally - they decide who to invite to interview as a department so college choice doesn't come into it. I think they meet up again after interview to make the final decisions.

Really? Is that all? No, I'm applying for EP. I think they ask for 6 A*s at GCSE (edit - checked the website looking for % asked to interview, and it actually says at least 4A*s)... there might be a fair few without that. The uni as a whole interviews 85% of applicants on average (according to an Oxford admissions tutor who visited our school) and some departments interview near enough everyone. Not actually sure what percentage for EP... never seen the stats on that.
    Well that sounds quite promising doesn't it...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stashup)
    Well that sounds quite promising doesn't it...
    When you say 'doesn't it' did you get the impression I thought something I said wasn't promising or is it just a random comment?

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'doesn't it' did you get the impression I thought something I said wasn't promising or is it just a random comment?
    just a random comment to boost all our hopes of getting an interview although the TSA might not have gone as well as we had hoped

i actually think i may have got 50% :/

ReputationRep:
    xxx

(Original post by Salparadise)
    Same here blad,my essay went well but I 'fluffed my lines' and panicked in the during the problem solving part! I had to guess the last 8 questions Still Manc has come through for us and there will be more
    :woo:
    go manchester although mine is economics and politics, meh close enough ABB is penggggg! come on york *crosses fingers*

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=trollman]:woo:
    go manchester

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.