Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are you aware that you won't necessarily get a score of 50% if you answered 50% questions correctly?
    They weigh every question according to the percentage of people who got it right. So if you get 25 questions right and everyone else has the same 25 it won't count much. But if you got a question right which noone else had got right it would count a lot more than 2 %

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stashup)
    It's posted on page 32. I think it's safe to say that the 2006 CIE gets considerably harder after the first half.

What do you guys get for these two?

Recent research suggests that, contrary to popular belief, the firms that are making the most
    profit are the ones with the least happy workers. Therefore firms that deliberately make their
    workers unhappy can expect a rise in profits.

Which of the following identifies the main flaw in this argument?

A Unhappy workers are likely to leave their jobs.
    B It assumes workers are unhappy because of their work.
    C It assumes that unhappiness causes a rise in profits.
    D It assumes that there are no other factors than worker attitudes which determine profits.
    E It assumes that customers are displeased when served by discontented staff.

I really can't decide between B and D. Maybe an explanation from someone who trusts he can do so?:eek3:

Recent opinion polls have shown that less than half the population is happy with the health
    service and the majority fear for its future. But isn't the problem that people just expect too much
    of the service? After all, the health service was set up as a public service which would be
    available to all and free at the point of use. To expect from it high standards of individual
    attention, customer choice or an absence of practices which offend our finer feelings is absurd.
    Inevitably, expensive, high-quality services can only be enjoyed by those who can afford to pay
    for them.

Which of the following, if true, most weakens the argument in the passage above?

A Opinion polls taken 20 years ago show higher levels of satisfaction with the health service.
    B Not everyone who wants to use the private sector can afford to.
    C People are not prepared to pay higher taxes to fund better standards in the health service.
    D Public expectations of the health service keep rising.
    E The private sector always offers high quality services.
    for Q.36 i belive its C as rev_pain and others explained.
    Q.38 might be A.
    the argument is that high quality services can be enjoyed only if u pay more. its impossible with current levels of funding. but if ppl 20 yrs back were satisfied it (with presumably pretty much the same funding) then i guess it weakesn the argument right?

hope this helps

(Original post by Salparadise)
    The quant modules at Manc sound great,there's several econometrics modules and some advanced Game Theory. I stumbled across a former student I'd be happy to emulate todayhttp://www.thisismoney.co.uk/news/ar...2&in_page_id=2 .
    Yh but he probs did the bsc in Economics which more sought after I'm not sure of the employment prospects with a ba in Eco/pol then again I really believe earning potential is really to do with you as a person than where u got a degree

(Original post by JRBDK)
    Are you aware that you won't necessarily get a score of 50% if you answered 50% questions correctly?
    They weigh every question according to the percentage of people who got it right. So if you get 25 questions right and everyone else has the same 25 it won't count much. But if you got a question right which noone else had got right it would count a lot more than 2 %
    But I think I got all the easy questions right and the hard ones wrong lol either way not finishing and getting like 50 raw marks doesn't look good, I just gta hope Exeter aren't too funny on the TSA

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hunter85)
    History and Math yes, Politics and Economics no. Those two subjects will actually put you lower down the pecking order then someone who does biology and physcis with math and history, as Philosphy, Polotics and Economics are all seen as "easy" a-levels. (though clearly not at uni)
    I don't think anyone views those as 'easy' A Levels - Maths and History are important for some people to have, but it's not as clear cut as GOOD and BAD. I take Maths, History, Politics and Economics, because I have passions for those subjects; I'm not going to tailor my A levels to subjects I am not as interested in just to appear 'stronger'. It's all about showing them how good you are with the subject matter, how interested you are, how good you will be, and frankly, choosing physics and biology just to show you are a capable person would be a bad choice compared to choosing politics to show that this is not a choice of degree you made on a whim. I agree that taking all three subjects may not be the right thing to do, but as long as you take the hint, and get history and maths (or similar things) in there, then there is no set rule for what else to add other than 'What you enjoy, are interested in, and will do the very best in'.

ReputationRep:
    how do we find out the results?

(Original post by Kazayami)
    I don't think anyone views those as 'easy' A Levels - Maths and History are important for some people to have, but it's not as clear cut as GOOD and BAD. I take Maths, History, Politics and Economics, because I have passions for those subjects; I'm not going to tailor my A levels to subjects I am not as interested in just to appear 'stronger'. It's all about showing them how good you are with the subject matter, how interested you are, how good you will be, and frankly, choosing physics and biology just to show you are a capable person would be a bad choice compared to choosing politics to show that this is not a choice of degree you made on a whim. I agree that taking all three subjects may not be the right thing to do, but as long as you take the hint, and get history and maths (or similar things) in there, then there is no set rule for what else to add other than 'What you enjoy, are interested in, and will do the very best in'.
    i did physics and biology because i love science i would have taken politics and economics if they were offered at my school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_chic)
    We register on the TSA site no earlier than ten days before the 15th January...did you get a sheet from your school with your login details??

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Meliae]I did go round St Johns. I remember there was a closed off bit of the library with really really ancient books (like Medieval or something)... That looked cool. Not that I'd ever be allowed access to them.

They said at the EP talk that admissions were all done centrally - they decide who to invite to interview as a department so college choice doesn't come into it. I think they meet up again after interview to make the final decisions.

Ah okay, cool. I'm applying to Psychology and Physiology but i guess it's the same psychology admissions people? I had to email my college admissions lady about a change to my results and she said she'd pass the info on to the tutors so sounds like it is central...i'm just gonna sit back and wait now lol :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazy_chic)
    your centre gives you a password and you get them online, but they might be waiting until nearer the time cuz it's not till 15th January good luck

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mashed potatoes)
    for Q.36 i belive its C as rev_pain and others explained.
    Q.38 might be A.
    the argument is that high quality services can be enjoyed only if u pay more. its impossible with current levels of funding. but if ppl 20 yrs back were satisfied it (with presumably pretty much the same funding) then i guess it weakesn the argument right?

hope this helps
    Ach I think I misread 36 and got it wrong , silly mistakes are going to cost me

And I'm applying for psychology and physiology aswell
    can som1 add me to the list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musty129)
    Ach I think I misread 36 and got it wrong , silly mistakes are going to cost me

And I'm applying for psychology and physiology aswell
    can som1 add me to the list
    So that's PP? Is that how your course is referred to? And what's your college?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Graphix)
    So that's PP? Is that how your course is referred to? And what's your college?
    Lol no

It's PPP, and Hertford college

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musty129)
    Lol no

It's PPP, and Hertford college
    Okay - I'll add you now!

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying to PPE at Balliol.

I just want to know like, now. Hahhaa.

ReputationRep:
    Hello Rophy,

I am applying for psychology and physiology as well (:
    For which college are you applying to? (me, LMH)

You wrote that they decide who to invite to interview by the department. Does that mean that college tutors aren't involved in the decision process?

Did you find the TSA hard?

Bye
    Nilu

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nilu)
    Did you find the TSA hard?
    Nilu
    I'm from the United States so my only major comparison to the TSA would be the SAT and I thought the TSA was more challening. But also, I thought the TSA actually tested thinking skills and was like what the SAT should be.

The questions, on balance, were manageable but not super easy.

ReputationRep:
    So do we find out our results after we do/don't get offers. I guess oxford gets the results way befoe the 15th Jan??

oxford have our results now, they use them to decide who gets an interview, and we will get offers or rejections before xmas, so finding out the results is just a formality!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pokerplayer1191)
    I'm from the United States so my only major comparison to the TSA would be the SAT and I thought the TSA was more challening. But also, I thought the TSA actually tested thinking skills and was like what the SAT should be.

The questions, on balance, were manageable but not super easy.
    That's exactly what I thought. The SAT has a lot of knowledge content involved, whereas the TSA actually seems to rely on logical rigour...

Btw, PPE at Balliol here. :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.