ReputationRep:
    I bought a text book

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    I bought a text book
    The one they recommend on the TSA site?

ReputationRep:
    I was wondering,

do you think that different colleges require different TSA scores or does the university set the standard as a whole.

Also how important is the TSA compared to our AS and GCSE grades? If we have really solid results but don't do well on the TSA can we still get an interview?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Eager PPe ist)
    I was wondering,

do you think that different colleges require different TSA scores or does the university set the standard as a whole.

Also how important is the TSA compared to our AS and GCSE grades? If we have really solid results but don't do well on the TSA can we still get an interview?
    I don't think that different colleges require different TSA scores. However, it is perfectly possible that some tutors at some colleges put less emphasis on the TSA (of course it is impossible for us to know).

The TSA is crucial when it comes to getting an interview. A friend of mine had an IB prediction of 42-43 and a solid PS and reference, but he got rejected pre-interview for E&M because of his TSA score (in the low 50s). Can't say for PPEists, but at least prospective E&Mists need to remember that they reject about 2/3 of applicants for E&M pre-interview, and I'd say the TSA is the most important discriminating tool when rejecting pre-interview, since most applicants will have the required grades and otherwise decent applications.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    The one they recommend on the TSA site?
    Yes. Have you got it as well?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by izinku)
    Yes. Have you got it as well?
    No, I've been thinking about ordering it. What's it like; an intro to critical thinking skills?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    No, I've been thinking about ordering it. What's it like; an intro to critical thinking skills?
    idk, havent opened it yet

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)
    I don't think that different colleges require different TSA scores. However, it is perfectly possible that some tutors at some colleges put less emphasis on the TSA (of course it is impossible for us to know).

The TSA is crucial when it comes to getting an interview. A friend of mine had an IB prediction of 42-43 and a solid PS and reference, but he got rejected pre-interview for E&M because of his TSA score (in the low 50s). Can't say for PPEists, but at least prospective E&Mists need to remember that they reject about 2/3 of applicants for E&M pre-interview, and I'd say the TSA is the most important discriminating tool when rejecting pre-interview, since most applicants will have the required grades and otherwise decent applications.
    I would agree that the TSA is important for getting an interview, but I wonder how important it is in getting an offer; I scored very highly in my TSA (in the 90's) but didn't get an offer...

Just out of sheer curiosity, how important do you think TSA is in getting the final offer. Also does anyone think other Universities - LSE, UCL that type of place will ask students to sit TSA tests to weed through applications?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Roundabout)

Did you do any particular preparation for it? I'm just really worried about the essay section. I find the first section easy but doubt I'd be able to think of anything to write in the essays

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Did you do any particular preparation for it? I'm just really worried about the essay section. I find the first section easy but doubt I'd be able to think of anything to write in the essays
    Essay, for me at least, will be pretty much luck -- performing on the day, if you will.

I'm not too worried about it though. There's little I can do to prepare for the randomness of the topics that'll come up...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    Essay, for me at least, will be pretty much luck -- performing on the day, if you will.

I'm not too worried about it though. There's little I can do to prepare for the randomness of the topics that'll come up...
    But they're just such random statements that I don't know how to even respond to them.

ReputationRep:
    But they're just such random statements that I don't know how to even respond to them.
    I don't know how your 'essay technique' is, but I'm guessing it's not bad.

My generic 'plan' for essays is just to:
    1) Introduce the main topic/issue being discussed (and for the TSA, state what [theoretical?] problems are raised)
    2) State one solution/side of the argument
    3) Do another
    4) Conclude

I dunno :dontknow:

I need to start/finish ( :rolleyes: ) my personal statement, then I'm going to have a proper look at the essay questions. I just remember them being rather vague...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kneechuh)
    I don't know how your 'essay technique' is, but I'm guessing it's not bad.

My generic 'plan' for essays is just to:
    1) Introduce the main topic/issue being discussed (and for the TSA, state what [theoretical?] problems are raised)
    2) State one solution/side of the argument
    3) Do another
    4) Conclude

I dunno :dontknow:

I need to start/finish ( :rolleyes: ) my personal statement, then I'm going to have a proper look at the essay questions. I just remember them being rather vague...
    Yeah, same here. I think the random topics just throw me off a little. Although I'm someone that mainly performs on the day so perhaps that's why I can't think of ANYTHING I would write atm. Like, on the AEA I couldn't think of anything to write beforehand but wrote loads in the actual exam and got a distinction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JohnKennedy)
    I would agree that the TSA is important for getting an interview, but I wonder how important it is in getting an offer; I scored very highly in my TSA (in the 90's) but didn't get an offer...

Just out of sheer curiosity, how important do you think TSA is in getting the final offer. Also does anyone think other Universities - LSE, UCL that type of place will ask students to sit TSA tests to weed through applications?
    I doubt it plays a big part when it actually comes to deciding who gets the offers. Probably it still counts as a factor (maybe in weight similar to predicted grades), but obviously the interview will be the most important individual component of your application. Your case shows that an exceptionally good score won't guarantee you an offer, but a below-average score will still get you rejected pre-interview.

UCL already asks for the TSA for ESPS, so it's perfectly possible that more unis and courses will start asking for it as well.

I didn't prepare for it on purpose, but I did do the US SAT Reasoning Test twice, where I did two 25-minute essays which probably helped me a bit on the time issue.
    Don't worry about the essay, all it really takes is you to have some sort of an opinion on one of the topics. Then you just introduce the issue, argue for your point of view, throw in some counter-arguments and conclude. I do have one tip though: If you have troubles coming up with good arguments for your view, but feel like you can argue more convincingly for the other side, then no matter how passionately you feel about the issue, just abandon your personal opinion and argue for it from the other side. I think it's better that you are wrong (in your opinion) with a convincing essay than that you're right with a half-finished essay. :p:

ReputationRep:
    E&M - St Edmund Hall here

ReputationRep:
    http://www.cie.org.uk/qualifications...def_id=765_804

not sure if this has been posted before, but some of the papers here contain the same type of questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lol_wut)

not sure if this has been posted before, but some of the papers here contain the same type of questions.
    Ahhhh brilliant

ReputationRep:

Nice one lol_wut!

ReputationRep:

Ohhh, very helpful. Cheers mate

ReputationRep:
    How do people rate those questions against the TSA sample one?

Thanks very much for the link though!

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.