Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagikMonkey)
    Is this was why I was rejected pre-interview?

Problem Solving 64
    Critical Thinking 61
    Overall 62.6

They're not terrible results, though I should have done better. Wish I knew what the cut-off point was, I'm thinking about reapplying next year...
    Not necessarily. I got an offer with 58.5

(Original post by Kneechuh)
    Problem Solving: 52.2 :o:
    Critical Thinking: 65.6
    Overall: 58.9

I can see why I didn't get an interview now.. :p:
    Some sick ******* got 90+ on the problem solving and ~87 overall...

Edit: [email protected]! - I didn't think people that got scores like that existed. I always thought they were some kind of machine.. (Although there's no proof you're not....:holmes:)
    I got the same as you, maybe a bit lower actually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Looking at the graphs, those results actually make no sense. The graph shows no averages higher than 78-80%. Surely some people must get around 100%? Maybe too few to show up on the graph... I saw the bit which says the scales are constructed on ability/difficulty of the questions and don't represent the actual percentage you got right, but still. I didn't do the last few pages which presumably contained the hardest questions and got 78.8 average. That can't be right. I ticked boxes entirely at random with the paper shut for the last 6 and had to guess a few earlier ones because I ran out of time. What are the chances of that?!
    You must have been perfect on the ones you did. and/or been lucky on the ones you guessed

I don't think the hardest ones were at the end, i didn't notice any change in difficulty

snap!

i reckon one person got 100% on the problem solving, that's why there's a tiny tiny line. since they got 100% the tsa people couldn't scale down his score so it fitted in with the rest.... they did say extreme scores are meant to be rare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilyusha)
    You must have been perfect on the ones you did. and/or been lucky on the ones you guessed

I don't think the hardest ones were at the end, i didn't notice any change in difficulty

snap!

i reckon one person got 100% on the problem solving, that's why there's a tiny tiny line. since they got 100% the tsa people couldn't scale down his score so it fitted in with the rest.... they did say extreme scores are meant to be rare
    Ah I didn't see that line. Ok, they looked like they might have been harder, but as I say, I never got the chance to read them. I think most of what I did was right. I work very slowly and carefully so I don't get much wrong, I just never finish, but I'd have thought that a lot of people would do the same but also work fast enough to finish. How did you think it went?

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys!

Some great scores here.

I got:

PS 68.6
    Crit thinking 58.9
    Overall 63.6

ReputationRep:
    Problem Solving: 56.1
    Critical Thinking: 51.3
    Overall: 53.7
    So I have done really bad and still have been invited for an interview at Hertford:eek:. I feel like an half-idiot right now, but a lucky one at least. The good news is that I must have a really impressive PS and other things, so a low TSA score actually improves my chances for being accepted to other unis:woo:.

Congratulations to those who smashed it, you rock:yes:.

ReputationRep:
    Ah I didn't see that line. Ok, they looked like they might have been harder, but as I say, I never got the chance to read them. I think most of what I did was right. I work very slowly and carefully so I don't get much wrong, I just never finish, but I'd have thought that a lot of people would do the same but also work fast enough to finish. How did you think it went?
    I didn't really know, i thought it was quite good but i can never tell. also after the exam i was so so depressed about my essay, which i thought was pretentious, incoherent rubbish which would get me rejected from balliol, i couldn't really focus on assessing my multiple choice.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't really know, i thought it was quite good but i can never tell. also after the exam i was so so depressed about my essay, which i thought was pretentious, incoherent rubbish which would get me rejected from balliol, i couldn't really focus on assessing my multiple choice.
    Lol, I was happy with what I'd done but disappointed about not finishing and wasting so much time. Which essay did you do? I could barely remember what I'd written after but I have a feeling it was filled with ignorance and sweeping generalisations and such. It was the one about Europe invading America for their use of capital punishment.

ReputationRep:
    Lol, I was happy with what I'd done but disappointed about not finishing and wasting so much time. Which essay did you do? I could barely remember what I'd written after but I have a feeling it was filled with ignorance and sweeping generalisations and such. It was the one about Europe invading America for their use of capital punishment.
    I did the rationality one. i can remember everything.... even the exact (rubbish) structure. ah i guess it can't have been too bad

i remember i couldn't finish the last question, i had to guess between two. i was just so stressed that i had 2 minutes left that i couldn't think!

ReputationRep:
    I did the rationality one. i can remember everything.... even the exact (rubbish) structure. ah i guess it can't have been too bad

i remember i couldn't finish the last question, i had to guess between two. i was just so stressed that i had 2 minutes left that i couldn't think!
    I got like that in my maths exam last year. It was a really easy paper and I knew there should be plenty of time, so I relaxed and worked even slower than usual... bad idea. I had I think 2 pages left and 15mins and my mind just blanked. I couldn't do anything. My maths teacher said when I saw her later that day, "so how long did it take you? 10 minutes? 20?" (presumably forgetting just how slowly I work) and I was like... yea I didn't finish. Bad times. :o:

My essay had no real structure. It was in a pretty random order. I didn't finish that either. I'd be interested to know how I did on it... I wonder if they give them any kind of mark.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clements-)
    Lol, I am so **** in comparison to most.

Problem solving: 52.2
    Critical thinking: 65.6
    Overall: 58.5
    I got the exact same scores!

Problem Solving: 52.2

Critical Thinking: 65.6

Overall: 58.5

Also got an offer for E&M!

ReputationRep:
    I got like that in my maths exam last year. It was a really easy paper and I knew there should be plenty of time, so I relaxed and worked even slower than usual... bad idea. I had I think 2 pages left and 15mins and my mind just blanked. I couldn't do anything. My maths teacher said when I saw her later that day, "so how long did it take you? 10 minutes? 20?" (presumably forgetting just how slowly I work) and I was like... yea I didn't finish. Bad times. :o:

My essay had no real structure. It was in a pretty random order. I didn't finish that either. I'd be interested to know how I did on it... I wonder if they give them any kind of mark.
    I know, I went through the paper kind of lethargically then in panic at the end.

Hm, do you know if we get any kind of feedback on the essays?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kylesawhney)
    Nope, I got 62.6 and got an offer :p:
    62.6 got me an offer too :p:
    Like others have said MagikMonkey, I don't think the TSA alone has a cut-off point. They probably combine the score with other factors and create a cut-off point from there.

ReputationRep:
    [QUOTE=Ilyusha]Meliare

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Salparadise)
    It was taken by all the E&M, PPE and PPP applicants, and there are ~1000 PPE applicants alone, so getting a score way above average like yours means you are probably smarter than the average Oxford applicant! If they're correlations are right you're a likely candidate for getting a first.
    Oh wow! How did you know how many applicants there were?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirensinging)
    Oh wow! How did you know how many applicants there were?
    Its in the prospectus, and in greater detail in the statistics area of the Oxford website.

ReputationRep:
    Its in the prospectus, and in greater detail in the statistics area of the Oxford website.
    Silly me. I figured just before I saw your response. Wasn't there the whole thing about way more PPE/Oxford applicants this year though?

ReputationRep:
    Evening guys.

My scores:-
    Thinking Skills Assessment

Problem Solving 68.6

Critical Thinking 63.2

Overall 65.9

Rejected pre-interview for E&M unfortunately. My scores aren't great. I didn't do much preparation, though I'm not sure how much I would've gained (my guess is around 5%, hardly groundbreaking!).

I would have hoped to have at least got the chance to impress during an interview, as I'm more of a face-to-face communicator, but I have to accept that there were probably a number of reasons for this decision. I did have 4 "a" grades at A\S and I do participate in a number of sports, but I don't think my personal statement was quite up to scratch.

I'm going to take a year out and then I'll apply via UCAS next year, though I think I'll give Oxford or Cambridge a miss. Only a very small percentage of students are going to have a chance and I accept that I will just miss the cut on most occasions.

Hope you all find enjoyment and success at your chosen university, whether that may be Oxford or elsewhere!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sirensinging)
    I know, I went through the paper kind of lethargically then in panic at the end.

Hm, do you know if we get any kind of feedback on the essays?
    I don't think so. Who knows if they even read them.

ReputationRep:
    68.3 in both, I'm quite pleased! It sounds low but its above average.

It was taken by all the E&M, PPE and PPP applicants, and there are ~1000 PPE applicants alone, so getting a score way above average like yours means you are probably smarter than the average Oxford applicant! If they're correlations are right you're a likely candidate for getting a first.
    There were nearly 1700 applicants for PPE this year

ReputationRep:
    Grge

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.