Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Basically, someone has offered to sell 10 law books for the first year at City to me for 150 quid, they claim to have spent over 200 odd for them. To be honest, 150 sounds a bit too much for second hand material... also 3 of them are revision guides..

Advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    If you got a list of the titles you could check the web and see if your getting a good deal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    If you got a list of the titles you could check the web and see if your getting a good deal.
    I was given a rather sneeky list of titles, which when searched for online gave me various different books by various authors in various different editions... I asked for actual titles but the bloke never replied to the email...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Get ISBN numbers and author when the guy replies to you..
    Should help you search them up and find the total RRP cost

ReputationRep:
    hmmm you could hold off and try buying them off someone doing your course who is finished. If the seller isn't helpful then he's not worth giving your money to.

ReputationRep:
    Thank you for the advice guys, much appreciated

ReputationRep:
    If he won't give you ISBN or full titles then don't bother with him - if he is legit and sincere then he won't have anything to hide.

ReputationRep:
    You can also search the City library catalogue online:
    www.city.ac.uk/library
    If availability for most books is good (ie. 15+ copies) you might be better off buying only the books which you might not be able to get for exam time etc.

ReputationRep:
    Make sure they are still the newest editions available, or they aren't worth buying.

Also, be wary of the revision guides. They generally aren't detailed enough to be of much help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Devil in Your Details)
    Make sure they are still the newest editions available, or they aren't worth buying.

Also, be wary of the revision guides. They generally aren't detailed enough to be of much help.
    BS, i bought all latest editions and it made no difference at all to some of my mates who had much older editions, the changes are minute.

OP it sounds reasonable, i think my books altogether cost around £200 if not more also.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mos Def)
    BS, i bought all latest editions and it made no difference at all to some of my mates who had much older editions, the changes are minute.

OP it sounds reasonable, i think my books altogether cost around £200 if not more also.
    Cheers, I will bear that in mind, ive got an email and they are like 9th editions, so it looks like it will be ok.

ReputationRep:

Hey, if you want to refer to out of date law, be my guest. Bear in mind though, it won't look too clever if you hand in work referring to defunct cases and judgments.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, if you want to refer to out of date law, be my guest. Bear in mind though, it won't look too clever if you hand in work referring to defunct cases and judgments.
    Yeah because the cases people refer to are always from the past month. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah because the cases people refer to are always from the past month. :rolleyes:
    Recent changes in law are often inspirational to examiners and to academics who will be setting you work.

Also, if you refer to the judgment of a case that has been recently overruled, you will not be quoting accurate precedent.

While it isn't certain that any of the above will happen, the possibility of it is great enough to justify keeping up-to-date. If you want to take the risk, well that's fine; your mark has nothing to do with me.

ReputationRep:
    Recent changes in law are often inspirational to examiners and to academics who will be setting you work.

Also, if you refer to the judgment of a case that has been recently overruled, you will not be quoting accurate precedent.

While it isn't certain that any of the above will happen, the possibility of it is great enough to justify keeping up-to-date. If you want to take the risk, well that's fine; your mark has nothing to do with me.
    Isn't there up-to-date case books you can buy anyway? I only did business law and I bought the new book, but it was similar to the older books so meh, I wouldn't know about the main law mods.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't there up-to-date case books you can buy anyway? I only did business law and I bought the new book, but it was similar to the older books so meh, I wouldn't know about the main law mods.

Is there a need to buy books in advance? I think it's alright if we buy books once we enter university.

PS: I sent you a message

ReputationRep:
    Buy them once you enter, lecturers clarify which books you need from the reading list

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    Buy them once you enter, lecturers clarify which books you need from the reading list
    Ok thanks, I'll wait for the start of term then.. which I believe is 28th Sept or something?

Edit: That is if I get into City, which fingers crossed I hope to do..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teenage Pirate)
    Correct about the date as far as I know, I'm not that concerned about term dates as I'm a placement year student :P
    hah lucky!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.