Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter

    Wondering if anyone can help me with a very specific question, have looked everywhere on the internet but never been able to find an answer!

    As far as I understand it you're only entitled to 4 years of student support (ie enough for a degree + 1 year for a false start) but what happens if you dropped out in your second year and want to go back?

    Do you still get 2 years of support for your new degree but then in your last year you're on your own? Or because it's not enough to cover the whole course do they just not fund you at all?

    I played around with the student finance caculator and it gave the impression you could still get a maintenance loan but not a grant or tuition fees loan. Is this for all 3 years of your new degree?

    And lastly... and most importantly if you're not eligible for a tution fees loan, does anyone know if you pay the same fees? ie £3225 p/a that it is now, just that you have to pay it yourself? or is that a subsidised figure too meaning that the fees will go up to the same as the International students (around £8k p/a)


    I'm in the same situation really, I started uni in 2002 and dropped out at the end of 2003 (so part way into my 2nd year)
    I have applied for Student finance this year for a new course starting in September. So far I've been told by Student Finance that unless I can provide compelling evidence of why I left in 2003 my funding wont begin until my 2nd year this time around.

    I've sent a letter from my GP explaining why I left, but the guy on the phone at SF told me that the chances of me getting funding for my first year were still slim.

    They have agreed to my maintenance loan but nothing else so far.

    If they find my letter unsatifactory my funding wont start until 2010.

    Let me know if you find out anything more, I'd be grateful :-)

    Funding is for the duration of the new course plus one year, less any previous academic years that you were in attendance.

    You will therefore only be entitled to the maintenance loan in year one, but pick up fee loans and grants if your income is within the thresholds for the 2nd year.
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.