Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey im hoping to be staying at student village 09 start, I just wondered if anyone knows what the internet regulations are at Bournemouth, e.g. download limits, xbox live, downloading sites, whatever else. I kinda live on the internet so its a big deal to me

ReputationRep:
    Can't help sorry, but I'm wondering the same thing. Plus, need to look into how to hook xbox live up to a laptop, so I don't have to buy a TV

ReputationRep:
    just use iplayer 4od, etc ??

i have a tv ill prob just use that with a license but i think space might be an issue there.

Need to know about this internet, i actually wouldnt go if i couldnt get music or play xbox lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfernoUk)
    just use iplayer 4od, etc ??

i have a tv ill prob just use that with a license but i think space might be an issue there.

Need to know about this internet, i actually wouldnt go if i couldnt get music or play xbox lol
    Oh yeah I got that bit planned out... 4OD, iPlayer, itv Player. I've got a few movie sites and I'm told from uni mates that you're allowed to watch movies online... and apparently torrent sites aren't blocked, so that's the music sorted.

All I need is the xbox. At the very least, party chat = stay in touch with mates

ReputationRep:
    well they have pc gaming societies so im guessing live wont be blocked, torrents normally are though unless you know specifically here that there not, most use rapidshare like me.

ReputationRep:
    no one atall able to help? this info isnt on the site and im guessing they wont talk about download sites, someone help ??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InfernoUk)
    no one atall able to help? this info isnt on the site and im guessing they wont talk about download sites, someone help ??
    I can help! I've not lived in the student village, I lived in Corfe House, but I assume that their policies are the same everywhere. I do the tours and things so we have to tell people that it's subject to fair usage.

I assume this means that they'll give you a warning if they see you using up the bandwidth consistenty and unfairly and they're able to track it to you (i don't know how technologically possible this is seeing as they'll have hundreds of people connected to the same network doing the same thing)

Anyway, I downloaded movies and music and watched iplayer (all legally of course) whilst I was at corfe and I never got asked to stop, and i know other people who did it too.

It's set up on wired ethernet cables in all the rooms in the student village but you can all pitch in to buy a wireless box for the house if it's easier for you too. Speeds aren't great but again, depends how many people are using it at once.

Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    kk, i thought unis had the best internet generally, also i dont download everything legally so wanted to know what they block, ill try email the uni directly for exact info, thanks though

ReputationRep:
    Heyyyy

Im a second year at Bomo Uni.

You'll have no problem downloading/Xbox live.
    There quite relaxed with what you download, just not obsessive amounts haha :p:

If you wanna know anything else, just send me a message =]

ReputationRep:
    o cool thanks are there no specific blocked sites? also whats the up/down speeds if you know ? thanks !

ReputationRep:
    Nah no specific blocked sites, although they keep an eye on torrent sites. Due to viruses e.t.c.

I use things like Limewire a lot and used to use thepirateb_ay a lot as well =]
    Well the connection will depend on which part of the village your at haha. Although generally there pretty good. With regards to XBL the usual connection is pretty good =]

ReputationRep:
    ok cool, i use rapidshare instead of torrents, just need someone to let me know speeds but i guess no1 is really at uni atm holidays and all, i emailed them and they said they didnt know the speeds which is reassuring : /

ReputationRep:
    yea the speed varies mate. kinda annoying at times. just remember the more people who are sharing your router the slower it will be haha. so when your housemates have assignments to hand in and stuff, it will prbs be reallllllly slow haha.

ReputationRep:
    dno man only thing that rly slows net down is distance and heavy downloads, id b more annoyed if i had loads of downloaders round me that would kill it, most unis seem to have 25MB net which is kl, normally id wont slow down cos itll be a T1 line but thats hard to explain i just wanted sum speed test info but then i remembered that every1 is back home so not gonna happen

ReputationRep:
    Yea that is annoying that were at home for summer.

Did you already contact the IT support desk then??

Because they should be able to help you out?
    If not then you'll just have to wait and see haha.

BTW what subject you taking?

ReputationRep:
    ill be doing marketing if i get the grades, i contacted general support, they forwarded it to accommodation support and they said they didnt know so i gave up.

ReputationRep:
    Oh ok. Well one sec, I may have an email for the IT support desk. They would be your best bet. One of my housemates does Marketing, it looks hard hahaha.

ReputationRep:
    [email protected]

Thats the head of IT support in the main library, she should be able to sort you out. If not then i'm our of ideas haha. She's called Anne =]

ReputationRep:
    thanks ill email them 2moro when im on my email pc, marketing hard? in what way ?

ReputationRep:
    Just a lot of work haha

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.