x Turn on thread page Beta

When should I be applying for Oxbridge? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    LOL at this person!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Lmao poor guy. Seriously, you don't even have your GCSE results yet. Chill the **** out. You've got another year yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clozet)
    Well, to be 100% sure of a place, it is advised you apply September 31st at one minute past noon in any given year. Obviously grades are secondary to your timing here.

:rolleyes:
    This is fallacious information.

Spoiler:
    Show
    everyone knows oxbridge only give offers to the applications sent in last. everyone else is regarded as a right keeno

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by histon)
    September Yr12 or Yr13?
    You seem very clueless about the process, so I recommend giving the following a read:

www.ucas.com

www.ox.ac.uk

www.cam.ac.uk

ReputationRep:
    Okay, September/October 2010 it is. Sorry if I appear to be ill-informed, as I probably am - blame my connexions advisor!! LOL.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    OP, your advisor is a bit of a mug, and should have known the limitation. As the others have said, you can only apply to one of Oxford or Cambridge, and unless you are a genius, who will certainly get at least 1 A* at A2, calm down on the application. Do you know what you want to study yet, as that'll help you decide which of the Oxbridge to apply to. I'd recommend a uni like Birmingham, Cardiff, or Warwick as a back up choice (still extreamly good, and a honour to attend, but won't give you such a high offer)

That said, congratulations on thinking about your future this early, it'll hold you in good stead for the 6th form!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    And why can you not?
    Applications to the two unis would almost double (a LOT of people would apply to both if they could), reducing the effectiveness of the selection process.

ReputationRep:
    You can't apply for both Oxford and Cambridge for the fact they are pretty equal in terms of the ability they except and if you could apply to both, many would so that if they don't get into one then they do get into the other possibly. Now let's consider this, if the majority who applied to one and the other then Oxbridge are going to be plagued with applications and would struggle to get through them all, hence you can only apply to the one.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, you're certainly ill informed and very keen but the keenness at least is not a bad thing :o: keep the motivation up into AS year, perhaps start some bridging work over the summer to make the jump easier and work hard to get not just A's but very high A's in AS! Good luck! Don't worry about Oxford vs Cambridge or colleges yet ... perhaps start after Easter next year when you have your January module results and know that you're def aiming at grades that will get you in.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't even started sixth form yet, but I am making sure I don't apply to late. I will be applying to Oxford, Cambridge, LSE, UCL, and Bristol. When exactly should I be applying to be sure of a place?
    you should apply to places that would give you a range of offers, there is a strong likelyhood you will get five rejections with those places, and besides as stated you can't apply to both ox and cam.

ReputationRep:
    So basically OP, wait 1 year and 2 months.

ReputationRep:
    You can't apply both Oxford and Cambridge.
    and i think you should wait for your results first

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody know if you have just finished year 13 and you get your AAA/AAAA this August , when and how do you apply to Oxford or Cambridge for the next year ?

Is the date the same for this situation ( unconditional offer ) ?

ReputationRep:
    lol what a noob

ReputationRep:
    Okay, September/October 2010 it is. Sorry if I appear to be ill-informed, as I probably am - blame my connexions advisor!! LOL.
    You got ur advise from a connexions advisor? please report him as hes doing an awful job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Free_Spiritz)
    Does anybody know if you have just finished year 13 and you get your AAA/AAAA this August , when and how do you apply to Oxford or Cambridge for the next year?
    The application process is exactly the same for those on a gap year as for those still in school. The only difference is that the offer, should you get one, will be unconditional rather than conditional.

ReputationRep:
    Your life is really planned out lol. How can you pick 5 Universities a year in advance?

ReputationRep:
    Just to re-emphasize you cannot apply to BOTH Oxford and Cambridge.

ReputationRep:
    And why can you not?
    Think about it. If it was allowed, a very large percentage of the top candidates would apply to both universities. This would greatly increase the number of interviews required at both universities. They already have enough applicants per place that they really don't want this, and it also avoids situations with candidates getting offers from both universities. As it stands they can work on the assumption that most people who receive an offer will accept it, which simplifies matters.

ReputationRep:
    They'll smell your desperation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.