Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm due to start uni this October and I'm just curious about the payment schedule. I know the details vary from uni to uni and individual to individual, but I'd just like to know, in general, a few things:
    1) I realise the tuition fee loan goes straight to the uni and we don't see it. But the maintenance loan and grant- how is that distributed? Is it normally distributed in 3 termly installments?
    2) If so, how big is each installment? Is the maintenance money simply divided by three, with an equal amount dished out per installment, or are there variations, with some installments larger than others?
    3) Is there any distinction between the maintenance loan and the maintenance grant as far as distribution is concerned? For example, perhaps the grant money is not split up into installments and might be dished out all at once (after all, in my case, it's quite a small amount)?

Thanks in advance for answering these quite unnecessary questions!

ReputationRep:
    The maintenance grant and loan are split into 3 installments which are normally paid around that start of each uni term. So 1 when you start, 1 after christmas and 1 around easter time. The first installment is normally paid to you 3 working days after you first enroll. After this first payment future payments in that academic year should be paid on the days stated in the payment schedule.

The first 2 payments of both loan and grant should be the same but the 3rd payment will be slightly more as it is meant to cover the summer holidays as well.

Doesn't matter how small the grant is they will still split it up. It could be £10 and they would probably pay it as £3, £3 + £4.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by flipshot)
    The maintenance grant and loan are split into 3 installments which are normally paid around that start of each uni term. So 1 when you start, 1 after christmas and 1 around easter time. The first installment is normally paid to you 3 working days after you first enroll. After this first payment future payments in that academic year should be paid on the days stated in the payment schedule.

The first 2 payments of both loan and grant should be the same but the 3rd payment will be slightly more as it is meant to cover the summer holidays as well.

Doesn't matter how small the grant is they will still split it up. It could be £10 and they would probably pay it as £3, £3 + £4.
    Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.