Turn on thread page Beta

Green Day: 21 Guns watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FoxboroHotTubs:))
    In what way do these lyrics seem like they were written by a 13 year old?
    Mostly because they're just a series of vague, meaningless, psuedo-philosophical questions, like many other wannabe-deep 'angst rock' songs, whose aim is to encourage emotionally immature teenagers to 'identify' with the singers apparent unhappiness and oppression, despite the fact that said singer is not only 30 years old but most likely up to his neck in $100 bills from the last 'angst rock' album he released, and whose only major problem in life is how to write the next 3-minute, 3-chord artistically-void sing-a-long single.

Short version, because they're rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    I bloody hate it.

I've been a big green day fan for the past 9/10 years, but they just keep changing!
    Old School GD ( when I come around, basket case, she, welcome to paradise, Good Riddance, Hitchin a ride etc.) were amazing. Then their vocal/lyrical style changed by the time they got to the American Idiot album, and still, I loved it. But now it seems like Billie Joe is just writing lyrics about things that don't relate to him in an effort to sell records. His voice is gruff and coarse and it's supposed to have a kind of 'been there, done that, bought the T shirt' vibe to it (evident in all the songs in albums like dookie and nimrod).. so when he starts singing in a falsetto and higher range with these awful lyrics, sounding like a cross between the old BJ and dolly parton.. that's when I dislike -.-

Sorry, needed to rant lol.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Altruistic1. I kinda laugh when people say old Green Day then say American Idiot. Their early stuff is still my favorite.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A is for Awesome)
    Mostly because they're just a series of vague, meaningless, psuedo-philosophical questions, like many other wannabe-deep 'angst rock' songs, whose aim is to encourage emotionally immature teenagers to 'identify' with the singers apparent unhappiness and oppression, despite the fact that said singer is not only 30 years old but most likely up to his neck in $100 bills from the last 'angst rock' album he released, and whose only major problem in life is how to write the next 3-minute, 3-chord artistically-void sing-a-long single.

Short version, because they're rubbish.

They don't try to encourage emotionally immature teenagers to 'identify' with the singers apparent unhappiness at all. You can talk badly about them all you want, trying to make yourself sound all clever and mature but really, it appears you know very little about Green Day. Billie Joe (need I explain who he is?!) is not trying to write angsty rock songs. If you knew or understood the album you would realise that it actually a concept album involving two characters. It is about struggles and a destructive attitude yes, but it also shows how the one character tries to sift through the mess and make the best of a not so good situation. They are all 36/37 actually and there is no pretense in their lyrics. The song isn't even about their unhappiness for goodness sake. Just because their work has made them wealthy it doesn't mean they have to be completely content and happy with the world. It doesn't make them oblivious to how awful Bush was or ignorant to the crises experienced. They have their own opinions and thoughts and are actually very conscious about what is going on in the world. Please don't pretend to know everything about a band or their morals 'cause it just makes you look and sound pretentious and arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    Love it.

ReputationRep:
    It's a very good song, and in context with the rest of the album, it's even better.

It will continue to be a good song until the radio kills it, and then it'll really start to piss people off. I would have picked Restless Heart Syndrome as the second single from 21CB though, it's better than this by some distance.

ReputationRep:
    I like it, yes. But Dookie will always be their best album imo.

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.