Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I really want to start going to the university gym, but have never been in one and have no one to go with,

will i look weird for going on my own
    will i be taught how to use the equipment as i have no idea :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    I really want to start going to the university gym, but have never been in one and have no one to go with,

will i be taught how to use the equipment as i have no idea :teeth:
    When I attended the Uni gym, I didn't know anyone (at first). Nobody cares if you're on your own. Firstly, most stuff you can do on your own. Secondly, the stuff you need another person for (eg. for a spotter on bench press), people are generally willing to help out if you're polite etc.

As for being shown how to use equipment - if you ask a member of staff they will help you. However, I'd recommend doing some reading on the subject before you go. Eg. if you want to get stronger/build muscle read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, or New Rules of Lifting, or any other good book. What you read of course will depend on your goals.

ReputationRep:
    No you won't look weird at all...quite a lot of people choose to go on their own, it's all down to preferences. Also I'm sure if you ask someone that works at the gym then they will give you a basic induction as to how to use the equipment.

ReputationRep:
    I've always gone on my own... Not weird at all, and quite a few people (if not most) do it. People become familiar with you there very quickly, anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Going on your own will keep you focused. Take music to motivate you.. it's your friend!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be afraid to ask how to use the equipment/ask for a spotter - people in the gym will generally be a lot more helpful/less judging than you first think

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RawJoh1)
    When I attended the Uni gym, I didn't know anyone (at first). Nobody cares if you're on your own. Firstly, most stuff you can do on your own. Secondly, the stuff you need another person for (eg. for a spotter on bench press), people are generally willing to help out if you're polite etc.

As for being shown how to use equipment - if you ask a member of staff they will help you. However, I'd recommend doing some reading on the subject before you go. Eg. if you want to get stronger/build muscle read Starting Strength by Mark Rippetoe, or New Rules of Lifting, or any other good book. What you read of course will depend on your goals.
    +1

Solid advice.

ReputationRep:
    Gym on your own plus Mp3 player = Solid workout .... At least for me

ReputationRep:
    FFS get some balls man.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    FFS get some balls man.
    +1

Solid advice.

ReputationRep:
    For the love of God, don't go alone! Everyone will stare at you and try to trip you up because blatantly, you're like a proper weirdo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    I've always gone on my own... Not weird at all, and quite a few people (if not most) do it. People become familiar with you there very quickly, anyways.
    "IB Courses: $2400
    Exam Retakes: $600
    Graphing Display Calculator: $120
    English Books/Plays: $50
    School Supplies: $100

TOK teaching you it was all for nothing: PRICELESS"

that just made my day hahahah

and on topic, i always go gym alone

ReputationRep:
    i usually go on my own because I tend then not to feel held back when I'm running, i.e. I dont feel i have to change machine when my friend does
    on the other hand having a mate with you makes it more fun, and I tend to do a greater variety of exercises, because he will make me do ab jackknifes and back excercises which I noramally dont do
    You will def not look weird though

ReputationRep:
    I used to go with a mate, but found he held me back on progress. I wanted to do 20 minutes, he'd want to do 2. I'll sometimes go with a friend/few friends, but generally I like to go on my own and do what I want.

It's also very common to go on your own, at least in my gym. Very few walk through the door with a friend. You definatly won't look weird and people really don't give a crap what you're doing as everyone gets on with their own business.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jermaindefoe)
    Oh, for ****'s sake.

ReputationRep:
    imo you will work better on your own, ppl who go in pairs etc end up chatting all the ******* time and their workout is not very intensive.

if you need a spotter ask someone to help, but powecages and **** like that have safetey bars anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Neg Rep)
    is "+1 solid advice" all you can say? Really? Is there a need? Why not just shut the **** up unless you can contribute something useful?
    menstruate much?

ReputationRep:
    I go on my own, i don't mind going with a friend but i find i tend to talk a lot and get much less done, i also find i spend too much time on the wieghts and do no aerobic exercise if im with friends.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.