Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    ...?

ReputationRep:
    I think its all rubbish. Theories can be dreamed up to fit with anything.

The fact is that if a couple will be together forever they will, regardless of age gaps, how the other looks or ages etc etc.
    If a couple break up its because it wasnt the right relationship whether thats after 2 months or 20 years. Thats just my opinion on the matter anyway.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Take the age of the highest person in the relationship. Divide their age by 2, and add 7. If it's lower than the age of the other person in the relationship, it's "morally wrong".

I can't remember where I heard that "rule", though.

ReputationRep:
    I generally find the age old 'half your age, add seven' formula fits my views pretty well. Indeed every girl I've dated fits within that zone. Teenage girls always go on about how they mature faster than guys and while it's true to a degree, it's not an 8 yr gap of maturity.

Plus I don't buy this whole 'men age better' stuff, ever heard of hair loss ? thats hardly a nice side effect of aging, one of which women don't generally experience.

ReputationRep:
    'Half your age, add seven' fits my boyfriend and me. Mwahahaha.

Personally, I have experience of several couples where the wife is older, and pretty much takes care of the husband. They all [3 couples] have very stable relationships and are into their 40s/50s.

But this is all purely anecdotal.

ReputationRep:
    I don't mind a younger lover, but hate to think an older guy as a lover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by milesofsea)
    just generally someone I could sometimes be a bit childish with and it would be ok. I told him this and he said that :
    Well I don't know about you but I'm not planning to stop being childish/playful until I'm dead. Life's too short to be serious all of the time, whatever your age.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ajp100688)
    I generally find the age old 'half your age, add seven' formula fits my views pretty well. Indeed every girl I've dated fits within that zone. Teenage girls always go on about how they mature faster than guys and while it's true to a degree, it's not an 8 yr gap of maturity.

Plus I don't buy this whole 'men age better' stuff, ever heard of hair loss ? thats hardly a nice side effect of aging, one of which women don't generally experience.

Never heard of that formula before!

ReputationRep:
    I know a 21 y/o girl who's dating a 45 y/o man and they both couldn't be happier. I'm sure they're going to get engaged soon too.

ReputationRep:
    And where do all the couples that have been married for 20/30/40/50 years come into this theory? Surely love comes into it somewhere!?

ReputationRep:
    Yeah but theres something about being young you cant get back when you grow up a bit. Theres so much promise and you just feel more carefree and that anything is possible.
    I think a lot of it is people behaving as they think society expects them to behave rather than doing what they want.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rosieee91)
    And where do all the couples that have been married for 20/30/40/50 years come into this theory? Surely love comes into it somewhere!?

Thats what I said. I thought he took it too much from a pragmatic viewpoint but then why do SO many couples split up after 20/30 years when they were madly in love to start with?

ReputationRep:
    Thats what I said. I thought he took it too much from a pragmatic viewpoint but then why do SO many couples split up after 20/30 years when they were madly in love to start with?
    Lots of reasons. I don't think we can really generalise that every single man gets bored of his wife when she starts looking a bit old.

ReputationRep:
    Me too I think 5 years older is the absolute maximum maximum limit.
    I even don't like one- or two years- older guy to think as a lover. But, there's no limit to a younger one (I mean up to the point) as a potential lover. I don't know what is wrong with me!

ReputationRep:
    This has to be an age thing. I know a lot of older people who have large age gaps (eg, 15 years gap for one) between them and with partners and it makes no difference.

ReputationRep:
    I don't reckon it's all superficial. First off, a woman 'ages' a bit if she has a baby, that has nothing to do with actual age. Then there are menopause mood swings, body self-consciousness (meaning crapper sex) and perhaps rattiness if she's tired from looking after a baby and working etc... a man would probably get fed up of it all to some degree...

Also, loads of guys go totally bald in their 20s! I know boys with receding hairlines and grey hairs! And they get potbellies and stuff, not all men are that attractive with age.

Though maybe I'm just making excuses 'cause I've got a toyboy :p:

ReputationRep:
    I think the concept of settling down with someone is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    Me too I think 5 years older is the absolute maximum maximum limit.
    you can allow only 5 years younger ones? Hmm.....

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately many couples I know of, including my own parents, broke up around the 35-45 mark. My dad had an affair when he was 41 and my mum was 36 - this evidence would suggest that the OPs friend is right.

It's a sad reflection of our current society that realationships can only last so long sex and looking sexy are in the equation

Luckily, not all men are that superficial. While most of my male friends seem to care about nothing more than how good looking their partner is, a couple of us actually care more about their personality.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.