Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 7777777)
    Anyone else have any ideas about my OP?
    Stop trying to think for yourself. Your problem has already been answered by Brotherhood.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SMed)
    Stop trying to think for yourself. Your problem has already been answered by Brotherhood.
    Yeah i've read all that before. Just wanted to see if that was all ok for general strength gain. I thought people might be able to add some things.

"starting strength" wasn't what i was looking for either because i'm not starting!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i've read all that before. Just wanted to see if that was all ok for general strength gain. I thought people might be able to add some things.

"starting strength" wasn't what i was looking for either because i'm not starting!
    What are your stats?

Height
    weight:
    Benchpress:
    Squat:
    Deadlift:

How long have you been training?

ReputationRep:
    Height: 5'9
    weight: 10 stone/62kg
    Benchpress: 60kg
    Squat: would have to tell you tomorrow
    Deadlift: 70 atleast (dont have more weights than that..)

How long have you been training: I keep stopping and starting. trying to print and sort out a routine to stick to it, problem is i keep going away. probably only a couple of months this year.

I am really skinny naturally, i could be 9 stone quite easily. so i've been struggling to put weight on all year but starting to progress and i've finally started training again properly.

I also box, i'm not sure whether that helps strength very much.

Not the best stats i know :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Height: 5'9
    weight: 10 stone/62kg
    Benchpress: 60kg
    Squat: would have to tell you tomorrow
    Deadlift: 70 atleast (dont have more weights than that..)

How long have you been training: I keep stopping and starting. trying to print and sort out a routine to stick to it, problem is i keep going away. probably only a couple of months this year.

I am really skinny naturally, i could be 9 stone quite easily. so i've been struggling to put weight on all year but starting to progress and i've finally started training again properly.

I also box, i'm not sure whether that helps strength very much.

Not the best stats i know :rolleyes:
    You are starting.

ReputationRep:
    Textbook Starting Strength candidate. Seriously.

Did you just see the word "Starting" and think, "Nope; that's not for me!"?

ReputationRep:
    I just wanted people to go over what i had set, and yes i said that so you'd make an attempt to answer :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    What you had set isn't really worth an answer. Why are you opposed to Starting Strength? Do you think your routine is better?

Obviously we can force you to do SS, I'm just interested. Sorry for the SS-Gang Rape.

ReputationRep:
    I'd definatley go with Starting strength untill you get some bigger lifts.

ReputationRep:
    I read starting strength (the rippletoe one)and my routine is very similar which is good.

Have you a blog? if not I would be interested to know:

If not what exercises do you tend to do?

Height
    weight:
    Benchpress:
    Squat:
    Deadlift:

cheers.

edit: that was directed at SMed but brotherhood/keith feel free to answer if you like

ReputationRep:
    I read starting strength (the rippletoe one)and my routine is very similar which is good.

Have you a blog? if not I would be interested to know:

If not what exercises do you tend to do?

Height
    weight:
    Benchpress:
    Squat:
    Deadlift:

cheers.
    Your routine isn't similar at all. Who are you addressing?

5' 11.5
    84kg
    ~four months

ReputationRep:
    It is similar? It includes everything rippletoe goes on about.

What weights do you do for bent rows and upright rows?

ReputationRep:
    No blog. I went to the gym for about a month; just dicking around. Had to take time off; discovered SS. Ran SS hard for about a month. Had to take a month off. Then went on SS for a month. Now I'm off again for resits.

Height: 1.75m
    Weight: 81kg (73kg at start of SS, and always skinny-fat.)
    Benchpress: 77.5kg (60kg)
    Squat: 112.5kg (80kg)
    Deadlift: 140kg (60kg: had a herniated disc)

I've still got plenty left to gain from SS. Plenty. Nothing stalling, and I increase the weight every single session. I should be stronger for my size but, meh.

ReputationRep:
    It is similar? It includes everything rippletoe goes on about.

What weights do you do for bent rows and upright rows?
    It contains two out of the five exercises and neither of the two optional extras. Since when does containing exercises make something similar anyway? The structure's completely different, there are far more exercises and no idea what your rep range is.

I don't do upright rows, they're bad for your shoulders. I haven't BB rowed for ages but can do 100kg+ Pendlay. Why?

ReputationRep:
    You could be stronger for your size but you could also be much weaker. I know taller people than me who can't lift **** all!

Herniated disc must have been painful, i'd need to be purchasing more weights before i can herniate any discs!

What can you lift for bent rows and upright rows - assuming you do them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brotherhood)
    It contains two out of the five exercises and neither of the two optional extras. Since when does containing exercises make something similar anyway? The structure's completely different, there are far more exercises and no idea what your rep range is.

I don't do upright rows, they're bad for your shoulders. I haven't BB rowed for ages but can do 100kg+ Pendlay. Why?
    Rep range is similar.

"Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans "

front and back squat, bench press, deadlift, press.. yeah, powerclean is just the same muscles as deadlift+upright row and front press or bent row

Thats what i keep reading, anyway feel free to point out what it needs

ReputationRep:
    Rep range is similar.

"Workout A
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Bench Press
    1x5 Deadlift

Workout B
    3x5 Squat
    3x5 Press
    5x3 Power cleans "

front and back squat, bench press, deadlift, press.. yeah, powerclean is just the same muscles as deadlift+upright row and front press or bent row

Thats what i keep reading, anyway feel free to point out what it needs
    Your original post only has front squats, it should be a back squat. Press should be military. Power cleans should be power cleans, rows are a substitute. Squatting every session is the point, you are not. You've added unnecessary exercises.

What it needs is to be SS, or choose another routine. Why are you so set on having your own rather than using a tried and tested one? You're only a beginner. When you're more advanced, then start thinking about changing things.

SS results speak for themselves. It's up to you.

ReputationRep:
    alright, cheers for the help :awesome:

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.