ReputationRep:
    Well, thats it!

ReputationRep:
    That was amazing!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gibb~)
    Damm i was late
    ME TOO O_____________O

I'm SO angry with myself... No, I'm angry with THEM for launching so damned early. Grrr >__<

I wouldn't be so annoyed if I wasn't only 7 minutes late and hadn't been waiting on time the past few nights when they postponed it. :mad:

:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    As things to watch go, that is one of the best things I have seen. Would love to go watch an actual launch in Florida!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    ME TOO O_____________O

I'm SO angry with myself... No, I'm angry with THEM for launching so damned early. Grrr >__<

I wouldn't be so annoyed if I wasn't only 7 minutes late and hadn't been waiting on time the past few nights when they postponed it. :mad:

If its any consilation, they're showing replays.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    ME TOO O_____________O

I know they could have at least waited for us to tune in. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I wonder how many miles per gallon that thing gets

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom Wigan)
    If its any consilation, they're showing replays.
    Yes! Thanks
    At first seeing it made me more upset xD but that was quickly replaced with awe...
    Amazing!

ReputationRep:
    Enviromentalists get hung up on 4x4's but I have yet to hear them have a go at any space launch which must be polluting hundreds of tiems more than 4x4s. Unless they enjoy the benefits of these launches too much and are just hypocritical muppets...

ReputationRep:
    ZOMG did anyone pass out??

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dhr90)
    Enviromentalists get hung up on 4x4's but I have yet to hear them have a go at any space launch which must be polluting hundreds of tiems more than 4x4s. Unless they enjoy the benefits of these launches too much and are just hypocritical muppets...
    well actually rocket engines run off hydrogen and oxygen
    so the result is nice clean water

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by randomjak)
    well actually rocket engines run off hydrogen and oxygen
    so the result is nice clean water
    WHOAH :eek:

ReputationRep:
    An inch per gallon?

Lets work it out:
    'The NASA space shuttle over 8.5 minutes consumes 1,000,000 kg of solid propellant (containing 16% aluminium fuel) and 2,000,000 litres of liquid propellant (106,261 kg of liquid hydrogen fuel) to take the 100,000 kg vehicle (including the 25,000 kg payload) to an altitude of 111 km and an orbital velocity of 30,000 km/h. With an energy density of 31MJ per kg for aluminum and 143 MJ/kg for liquid hydrogen, this means that the vehicle starts with 5 TJ of solid propellant and 15 TJ of hydrogen fuel.'
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fuel_ef...tation#Rockets

20 trillion joules of energy to move 111km (69 miles). Let's assume that there is no rotational output and the shuttle moves straight up.

1 litre of petrol contains 32 million joules of energy.

Therefore, the petrol equivalent of 20 trillion joules is 625000 litres of petrol.

That's equivalent to 137480 Imperial Gallons.

So 69 miles and 137480 Gallons gives:

0.000502 mpg

That's 31.8 inches per gallon.
    Or 80cm per gallon.
    Or 18cm per litre.

EDIT: Better than I first thought :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FyreFight)
    Beautiful launch. Will be sad to watch the Shuttle program being phased out.
    why what's happening?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz)
    why what's happening?
    They're replacing it with the Crew Exploration Vehicle/Orion spacecraft, launched from Ares rockets.

That's because NASA want to return to the moon.

The Shuttle can't do that and it is too expensive to keep both projects running.

ReputationRep:
    Saw it live; looked like it went well! Can't say I was particularly thrilled by it, but it's good to know that everything went swimmingly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheTallOne)
    They're replacing it with the Crew Exploration Vehicle/Orion spacecraft, launched from Ares rockets.

That's because NASA want to return to the moon.

The Shuttle can't do that and it is too expensive to keep both projects running.
    Orion being those circular coney looking things? (googled)

I'm guessing the shuttle can't do it because there's no landing strip however are they just abandoning the shuttle project for good? eg letting the things fall to pieces? ie no maintenance

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.