Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Old Skool Suzuki Swift (W reg) - Yay or Nay watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Looking to check out one tomorrow (450), so for those who've had one/heard about it, what are peoples opinions on the car for a first time buy, to learn to drive and keep those petrol costs down? From a few google searches, its been (majorly) panned - but those reviewers aren't cash strapped students so...

ReputationRep:
    Why not a 306 1.9D or a 1.4 Petrol?

That's such a better car and in your price range.

The 1.9D will be as quick if not quicker than a 1.0L Swift, definately safer and more refined too, plus 50-60mpg easy!

ReputationRep:
    Well its going to be basic - there are safer/more luxurious/faster cars, but I suppose it would be usable, just dont go on motorways very often or crash it! If you want a small car look for a mk4 Fiesta or something. The best thing I could say would be if you just need it for a bit of driving it'll do the job, and if you get any expensive repairs you can do away with it and move onto something else - how long is the MOT?

ReputationRep:
    A year MOT, 6 months tax - whilst I'm sure I could have gotten a technically better ride for in and around that money, a 1.9L engine is in the minds of my parents and insurance company at least, a bit over the top no?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheEnergizerRabbit)
    A year MOT, 6 months tax - whilst I'm sure I could have gotten a technically better ride for in and around that money, a 1.9L engine is in the minds of my parents and insurance company at least, a bit over the top no?
    That sounds reasonable with the MOT - the 1.9 diesel he mentioned is low insurance, and the Peugeot would be a better car (I'm thinking mainly in terms of safety here), but its heavy, and with next to no power will probably be slower than a 1.0 or 1.3 Swift! Also, you might not be so lucky in terms of getting that 12 months MOT etc elsewhere.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: July 13, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.