Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i've been seriously ill and in hospital on/off for the past 9 months.. basically meaning i've missed practically all of year 11.

i sat a few exams when i could around my chemotherapy, but for most of my subjects i'm getting a grade based on my coursework alone..

someone told me that if you get a grade just based on your coursework they drop you down a grade or even two because you haven't done the exam.

anyone know if this is true? and anyone else in this situation where they're getting a grade from coursework.?

and i didn't do mocks.. for the same reason.

i'm just worried its gunna get to results day and i'm gunna get a whole load of U's because i didn't go the exams.. i hope things turn out alright, my school have said they've spoken to the exam boards and my oncologist has written a supporting letter which has also been sent to them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elynnor1811)
    i've been seriously ill and in hospital on/off for the past 9 months.. basically meaning i've missed practically all of year 11.

i sat a few exams when i could around my chemotherapy, but for most of my subjects i'm getting a grade based on my coursework alone..

someone told me that if you get a grade just based on your coursework they drop you down a grade or even two because you haven't done the exam.

anyone know if this is true? and anyone else in this situation where they're getting a grade from coursework.?

and i didn't do mocks.. for the same reason.

i'm just worried its gunna get to results day and i'm gunna get a whole load of U's because i didn't go the exams.. i hope things turn out alright, my school have said they've spoken to the exam boards and my oncologist has written a supporting letter which has also been sent to them.
    I know that Edexcel do not award any grade unless you do 50% of the exam component.

OCR/WJEC/AQA i'm not sure about but i think grade based on coursework and teacher assessments but i wouldn't get your hopes up just in case.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT?. i was told that i only have to do 35% of the course, and some of my exams are edexel. oh ****.. now i'm worried.

ReputationRep:
    WHAT?. i was told that i only have to do 35% of the course, and some of my exams are edexel. oh ****.. now i'm worried.
    Nope, it's definitely 50% for edexcel, sorry ;[

Hope you're doing better now

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ben77mc)
    Nope, it's definitely 50% for edexcel, sorry ;[

Hope you're doing better now
    hmm. well my school have told me that they've spoken to the exam boards and that its 35% for gcse's and 50% for A levels. Urgh i hope my school haven't cocked it up for me.. i'm gunna be freaking out until results day now.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure the 50% is for most people and you would not be counted since it would be nearly impossible for you. If the school have contacted the exam boards and there was a problem, the exam boards would have let them know.

ReputationRep:
    hmm. well my school have told me that they've spoken to the exam boards and that its 35% for gcse's and 50% for A levels. Urgh i hope my school haven't cocked it up for me.. i'm gunna be freaking out until results day now.
    Definitely 50% for edexcel GCSE, because I was in hospital for a short time before an edexcel exam, of which I had only taken 20%. Looked everywhere, just in case I'd miss some exams, and found out by myself

ReputationRep:
    If it were impossible for you to be there - by the sounds of it, it was - then I'm sure that they'll organise something for you. Your school shouldn't be leaving you in the lurch like this though, haven't they given you any idea as to what may happen?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    If it were impossible for you to be there - by the sounds of it, it was - then I'm sure that they'll organise something for you. Your school shouldn't be leaving you in the lurch like this though, haven't they given you any idea as to what may happen?
    well the exams i did sit, i sat from my hospital bed - quite literally. because the hospital i'm at is an exam centre. yes my school has pretty much left me in the lurch. they've told me that i'm getting extra consideration, whatever that means.. but apparently exam boards don't disclose what percentage this is?.

my head of year just told me that they've sorted it out with the exam boards, but not really given me any indication of how its been left.

ReputationRep:
    well the exams i did sit, i sat from my hospital bed - quite literally. because the hospital i'm at is an exam centre. yes my school has pretty much left me in the lurch. they've told me that i'm getting extra consideration, whatever that means.. but apparently exam boards don't disclose what percentage this is?.

my head of year just told me that they've sorted it out with the exam boards, but not really given me any indication of how its been left.
    Bloody hell, that's ridiculous! Well done for at least sitting some though, I don't think I would've been able to!

It might be worth actually phoning the exam boards - or getting your parents to - and explaining what's happened, as well as that the school has already informed them, and asked what the likely outcome is. I can't believe they've just left you in the lurch though :/ Generally special consideration is 5% I THINK, so don't quote me on it...

ReputationRep:

I think special consideration is about 5% extra maximum. The exam board can be quite harsh as regards to illness and injury, i know of someone who was hospitalised with a broken neck yet they had no special consediration and where forced to repeat exams the next year.

ReputationRep:
    Crikey, I feel terribly sorry for you OP. I hope your A levels go exponentially better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Yasmeenax)
    Crikey, I feel terribly sorry for you OP. I hope your A levels go exponentially better.
    gahh i'm not even thinking about a levels at the moment. if i don't get my five c's i won't be able to do them anyway!

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.