Turn on thread page Beta

sacrificing correct form, for bigger weights, how big of a deal is it, really? watch

ReputationRep:
    hi

Basically im when you sacrificing some of the correct wieght lifting form so you can lift heavier weight, is this wrong? or is it a little wrong, but doesnt make that much difference?

I was doing single dumbell lifts, because my left arm is slightly smaller than my right, so i wanted to lift more with my left arm for a few weaks to readdress this balance, but i find when trying to lift heavier weights with my left arm, correct form is often being sacraficed...

ReputationRep:
    Depends really.

For some moves I'll do some heavy stuff not done too well, but will benefit/gain from it.

Stuff like upright rows, lat raises and bicep/hammer curls I'll shift it heavy without great form and then do some lighter with perfect form.

Sometimes you just need to add a bit of momentum to help you shift the weight.

ReputationRep:
    I would agree actually, some body part like my shoulders i use help with my legs, seems good form doesn't seem to work.

Alot of people cheat on the last few reps, its fairly common

ReputationRep:
    Its not a good idea for beginners.

Depends on the exercise really, if you are doing the overhead press and going heavier than you can lift with strict form, you'll bring a little bit of leaning back into play or maybe using your legs to make it a push press. It recruits more muscle groups into the movement and isn't a major problem.

If you're going too heavy on a deadlift though your backside will come up when the bar is still stuck on the floor and it will start to round your back, that is a major problem.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Keep doing the same weights on both arms - you'll soon balance up. If not, you'll end up chasing either side as they develop differently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    Its not a good idea for beginners.

Depends on the exercise really, if you are doing the overhead press and going heavier than you can lift with strict form, you'll bring a little bit of leaning back into play or maybe using your legs to make it a push press. It recruits more muscle groups into the movement and isn't a major problem.

If you're going too heavy on a deadlift though your backside will come up when the bar is still stuck on the floor and it will start to round your back, that is a major problem.
    Bingo

Newbies should stick to perfect form, because it develops bad habits and it may help you lift more now, but less in the future

Once you develop a basis of strength, certain exercises you don't really have a choice but to use SOME momentum to get the weight up there

Example

If you are curling 10kg you shouldn't use any swing

If you are getting to 25-30kg range, then it's acceptable to use some momentum

ReputationRep:
    could lead to injury! Besides, isnt it normal for one arm to be slightly bigger than the other? The more dominant arm used for day to day activites is likely to be bigger than the other one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H.JJJ)
    could lead to injury! Besides, isnt it normal for one arm to be slightly bigger than the other? The more dominant arm used for day to day activites is likely to be bigger than the other one.
    at first yes

but you need to recitfy it over-time
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Anyone who uses good form will tell you it is the most important. Gym queens who throw weights around with bad form will tell you it is fine. You decide whether doing things properly is important or not.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ProStacker)
    Anyone who uses good form will tell you it is the most important. Gym queens who throw weights around with bad form will tell you it is fine. You decide whether doing things properly is important or not.
    You have to make the distinction between bad form and using SOME momentum

A lot of pro's use "bad form" like swinging, etc...

but as I said earlier, at first and this will take you a few years, stick to good form

only when the weights get appreciable, you have to use some momentum

ReputationRep:
    Arnold says cheat

Arnold had biceps like this

And he looks very smug with it.

As such you should follow Arnold and understand that they are all just girlymen, dianabol is the breakfast of champions and if he wants he will give you the wrong advices

ReputationRep:
    as i said, some cheat reps at the end of a set is very common, as said, a difference between using momentum, and bad form

ReputationRep:
    It will not be as efficient for working specific muscles, and if the weights get very heavy sacrificing form can lead to injury.

I did it with military press, started bending the spine to lift more, long story short clicked my spine almost dropped it on my head and am still feeling the effects of the spine clicking to this day.

ReputationRep:
    I doubt you're going to suffer from cheating a bit when it comes to curls, but if you're deadlifting or squatting with incorrect form you're going to know about it.

When it comes to getting one-rep maxes, I can appreciate that form will drop a little bit and you'll do whatever you can within what counts as an ok lift to lift as much as possible. However, I think this is only justified if in your training you're aiming for correct form every time. A one-off slightly dodgy lift from someone who almost always lifts with good form is different to consistent lifting with bad form as a training habit.

ReputationRep:
    The only stuff I might sacrifice form for weight a bit are curls (which I barely ever do), press and occasionally rows, just using a bit of momentum or leg drive. I make sure to be able to do it strict before moving up a weight though.

ReputationRep:
    Well if you're damaging your spine it means you're using bad form and using far too much weight then you are able to lift.

With strict form lets say one person can only do 10 chin ups, but with cheating can eke out an extra 3 chins. He is gaining an advantage with this, as using momentum or swing is essenntially adding assistance to a lift, doesn't mean bad form necesarily.

As said, most bb pros use shocking form sometimes, but they lift huge weights, far more then with strict form. It has its place

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.