Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey

I have 9 months experience working in the chambers of a court, but not in the UK. A lot of my foreign colleagues, mainly americans but also others, clerked for judges or assisted them on a part-time basis during their studies. I have searched and searched but I can't seem to find a similar position in the UK (pref: scotland). I found the work really interesting , like analysing evidence, legal research and assisting with drafting judgements and would like to experience it in my own jurisdiction.

Has anybody heard of anything like it? I mean maybe I could shadow a judge or something but I already have a law degree and as mentioned experience, so would prefer something more serious.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    For England, it is called marshalling and your best bet would be to contact one of the Inns of Court in London and see if they would be able to help.

For Scotland, try the Faculty of Advocates (http://www.advocates.org.uk/).

ReputationRep:
    There's the judicial work shadowing scheme
    http://www.judiciary.gov.uk/workshad...ligibility.htm
    But I think that's for lawyers who are thinking about becoming judges. But might be worth having a look round that site for something similar.

I marshalled a judge for a week but that was done through personal contacts and would have been probably impossible for me to get otherwise.

ReputationRep:
    Marshalling can be arranged through the Inn. However, it is not what you are talking about. Marshalling is simply being attached to a Judge and watching them. It is enjoyable but it would be very unusual for the Judge to actually want you to do any work.

The type of law clerking you are talking about is offered here but normally only to barristers and solicitors who have already qualified. Every year the Court of Appeal advertises for law clerks - that is the job you want. You would have to contact the Court to see if you were eligible and when the next competition is. The qualification level is pretty demanding - one of my pupils did it and hugely enjoyed it but said it was very tough.

Whether you could contract yourself to a Judge I don't know. I think you would have to ask the Judicial Office about this - or get a Judge you know to ask them. I am pretty sure it would be unpaid but I suppose it is possible in a big case. However, never having heard of it I suspect that the answer will be no - sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies.

The Court of Appeal clerking is exactly the kind of thing I was looking for; however, since I'm not qualified it's not for me. I guess clerking for judges in general is just more common in other jurisdictions: some of my American friends were assisting judges at first instance courts during their first year of law school, although I suppose the level of work they were actually doing must not have been too complex.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.