Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Anyone heard of this 'swine flu party' thing? Anyone ever been to one?

I've been invited to one - yet whilst it interests me, I absolutely have no intention of attending

For those who don't know what it is...basically "swine flu parties" are held in an attempt to get immunity against the virus while it is a fairly mild form.

(so basically their reasoning is that it is best, for example, to be infected before the winter when the virus could become more deadly)

Whats your thoughts? is there more sense to this than what at first seem a ridiculous idea?

EDIT: (when i say it interests me, i mean the topic interests me, not the attendance)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mr_qwerty)

I've been invited to one - yet whilst it interests me, I absolutely have no intention of attending

For those who don't know what it is...basically "swine flu parties" are held in an attempt to get immunity against the virus while it is a fairly mild form.

(so basically their reasoning is that it is best, for example, to be infected before the winter when the virus could become more deadly)

Whats your thoughts? is there more sense to this than what at first seem a ridiculous idea?
    Retarded. If the virus mutates, you won't be immune.

ReputationRep:
    There is no swine flu within my town so far so no I haven't been. I wouldn't attend if I was to be invited either. Yes it will give me immunity but surely it could mutate making you able to get it again later on. (Correct if wrong :p:)

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of them, they seem rather pointless in the event of a mutation in the virus.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Which it probably will. Instead of going out of their way to contract the virus they could simply wait for the vaccine... that way less people should contract it, so it will spread slower.

ReputationRep:
    It is a bad idea. First of all, nobody can predict what the personal effect of the virus will be - and the virus is known to be a killer. Secondly, catching the virus as it is now does not guarantee immunity to a mutated verrsion later on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    Yeah eventually this is true, but apparently, you will be less effected and fazed by the mutated version than some1 who hasn't had it before.

Yet I still think its ridiculous...this in fact spreads the virus thus doesn't that itself make it more deadly etc. We should minimize the amount of people getting infected not increase.

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of chicken pox parties when I was little.

ReputationRep:
    i think everyone should just man-up....its just flu with the word 'swine' added.

ReputationRep:

EDIT: (when i say it interests me, i mean the topic interests me, not the attendance)
    I've heard about these and apparently there are people waring against doing it because it can be dangerous. Also, the likelyhood of getting swine flu is already increasing, so I'd let nature take it's course. I agree that it is a stupid idea

Anyway if the virus mutates, which is likely, then the immunity will be irrelevant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SuperSam_Fantastiche)
    Reminds me of chicken pox parties when I was little.
    Yeah its the same concept - people think that because the cpox parties are successful then so will these

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by impervious)
    Instead of going out of their way to contract the virus they could simply wait for the vaccine... that way less people should contract it, so it will spread slower.
    Logically speaking yeah. This is what I would do, but this is the counter argument....

" the fact that only one to two billion doses of a vaccine against the flu would be available to the world's six billion people, as well as the distrust some people have in vaccines, has lead to an active debate as to whether or not these parties are a good idea"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gez_09*)
    Anyway if the virus mutates, which is likely, then the immunity will be irrelevant
    "The logic behind these parties being that by overcoming the apparently mild H1N1 strain of the swine flu virus, the immune system would be better capable of protecting that individual against a more virulent strain that could possibly emerge next autumn"

(Although im still not convinced. Ridiculous idea imo.)

ReputationRep:
    Logically speaking yeah. This is what I would do, but this is the counter argument....

" the fact that only one to two billion doses of a vaccine against the flu would be available to the world's six billion people, as well as the distrust some people have in vaccines, has lead to an active debate as to whether or not these parties are a good idea"
    Screw the world, I think I read that the UK is going to slowly vaccinate the entire population. Ok then, once everyone who trusts the jab has got it, the rest can go to a giant swine flu party.

ReputationRep:
    Sister got it confirmed yesterday, it should get rid within 2 weeks though right? Shes on the Tamiflu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GGecko)
    Sister got it confirmed yesterday, it should get rid within 2 weeks though right? Shes on the Tamiflu.
    Is she in isolation/quarantine?

The strain is still moderately 'weak' and she has tamiflu...but not sure how long the recovery process is. I thinks its different for different people and depends when the flu was caught and when medical assistance was taken etc.

ReputationRep:
    If the virus mutates and it's a killer but has very similar epitopes then it's a great idea - but who's to say the epitopes won't change making it pointless - but then the same could be said about the vaccine, unless they manage to accurately predict somehow what it'd mutate into.

ReputationRep:
    yeah its not a good idea at all, its not a good idea to do it to any virus

you won't gain immunity, influenza are very good at coming in different forms, its why no one is immune against the common cold, or the flu

thats why you have the flu injection every year, and that still dosn't cover you, as you can still get flu

any way normal flu kills 10,000's every year, and we don't have parties for them

ReputationRep:
    Is she in isolation/quarantine?

The strain is still moderately 'weak' and she has tamiflu...but not sure how long the recovery process is. I thinks its different for different people and depends when the flu was caught and when medical assistance was taken etc.
    She's staying at home if thats what you mean? WILL be for the next week at minimum.

(Original post by impervious)
    Screw the world, I think I read that the UK is going to slowly vaccinate the entire population. Ok then, once everyone who trusts the jab has got it, the rest can go to a giant swine flu party.
    Contraversial I know but i won't be advising patients to get swine flu jabs.
    In the 1970s when there was an outbreak in fort dix they did a mass vaccination programm.e far more people died from the vaccine than the flu.

AS for these flu parties...not a good idea. In 1918 the nasty form of flu was preceeded by a mild form. There was no connection found between prior exposure to mild form and dying (or not) from the severe form.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.