Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by explosions hurt)
    I got tricked into going to an AIDS party. Never again.
    :rofl:

I'm sure you've made me laugh before.

ReputationRep:
    I'd rather an orgy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barden)
    i think everyone should just man-up....its just flu with the word 'swine' added.
    Yeah, but the word 'swine' just reminds me of,

Though, to be honest..

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was going to be about a swine flu themed party. :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    To all the people saying that their immunity will be no use if the virus mutates:

The virus will only mutate slightly, meaning that the immunity will most likely be to a mutated form also. My limited understanding of immunity is as follows. Please forgive my lack of proper terminology. Antibodies are able to "flag" the antigens (surface proteins - hemaglutinin and neuraminidase), making them targets for destruction. After the infection has been removed, these antibodies stay in the blood in small numbers and can be produced in large numbers very easily. The two surface proteins of swine flu are unlikely to change significantly enough so as to void this immunity.

This is why Tamiflu, a drug developed for other types of flu, works on swine flu. It is a neuraminidase inhibitor.

Anyone more knowledgeable than me, feel free to correct/refine my post

ReputationRep:
    I thought the whole swine flu thing's been over for a while.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granzagirl)
    Unfortunately not. It has just become less newsworthy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mahaneap)
    To all the people saying that their immunity will be no use if the virus mutates:

The virus will only mutate slightly, meaning that the immunity will most likely be to a mutated form also. My limited understanding of immunity is as follows. Please forgive my lack of proper terminology. Antibodies are able to "flag" the antigens (surface proteins - hemaglutinin and neuraminidase), making them targets for destruction. After the infection has been removed, these antibodies stay in the blood in small numbers and can be produced in large numbers very easily. The two surface proteins of swine flu are unlikely to change significantly enough so as to void this immunity.

This is why Tamiflu, a drug developed for other types of flu, works on swine flu. It is a neuraminidase inhibitor.

Anyone more knowledgeable than me, feel free to correct/refine my post
    Something I agree with, not that swine flu parties are a good idea for other reasons. But I think it's important to establish the facts. With my rather modest knowledge of immunology I believe it all depends on the surface proteins too. It's down to luck whether they will mutate dramatically or not. That means that there is a chance you will become immune to the more serious wave predicted for later this year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by granzagirl)
    Yeah it did dry out a little while ago, but its now burst into the public scene again...

Apparently the virus is going to 'swarm' and 'blow' the UK public. Normally I'd say this is a exaggeration, but if a "normal" flu season takes an average of 3,000 lives each year (sky news figures), then imagine what the swine flu virus would do!

Although there are vaccines for the virus for the UK public, it doesn't mean its totally 100% effective. (i.e. it depends when you come in contact with the virus and when you take the vaccine, and even then, normal flu vaccines dont protect fully)

ReputationRep:
    I had it and it wasn't too bad (not being disrespectful saying that, I'm saying in my experience as a fit, healthy 17 year old it didn't affect me too badly)

ReputationRep:
    swine flu bukkake?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Fusilero)
    So is chicken pox, really.

Chickenpox is rarely fatal, normally has mild symptons in childhood, and can have very severe consequences if caught later on in life. It is a very different matter from Swine Flu.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bennn)
    I had it and it wasn't too bad (not being disrespectful saying that, I'm saying in my experience as a fit, healthy 17 year old it didn't affect me too badly)
    Just out of interest...

Was this a confirmed case? i.e. were you tested? or was it like an assumption/precautionary?

Did you take the 'Tamiflu' vaccine? Did they put you in isolation/quaratine or anything like that?

(im just curious )

ReputationRep:
    To be honest no I'm just assuming that, why else would I get the flu in May?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ANAH)
    I'm sure men act like they are dying when they have the man flu:rolleyes:

its been proven that men suffer worse when ill than women....hence we have out own gender specific disease :P

ReputationRep:
    This 'swine flu party' sounds like quite the rave. Do you get Tamiflu in the party bags?

ReputationRep:
    They need to hurry up with the damned vaccine so that people don't panic and actually do this retarded stuff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie_ox)
    This 'swine flu party' sounds like quite the rave. Do you get Tamiflu in the party bags?
    Unfortunately no....

But at least you get glow-sticks!!

ReputationRep:
    You CAN'T GET AN IMMUNITY. Swine Flu-The clue is in the name it is a type of FLU and as we all should know that means it's a virus. Think about it like this, if you can't be immune from a flu then how can you be immune to swine flu when it's so similar.

The base code always changes and so every single swine flu is different and this prevents immunity. It really isn't that hard to understand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.