Reception Class problem - views please

Watch
This discussion is closed.
Kyrstie Burrows
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I am a Reception class teacher in South of England and a friend has talked to me about her 5 year
old in another school's Reception class.

The problem is that it appears that - due to the children opening closed toilet doors, being noisy
and bad behaviour in the toilets - the Reception class teacher has "banned" her 4 - 5 year olds from
going to the toilet in lesson times. (This has come via the child and mother.)

As a Reception class teacher, and a mum, I know that you can't tell a young child to wait. If they
need the toilet, they need the toilet. However once they have been that's it, unless they have a
medical problem. The issue has got so bad the child concerned is coming back home in wet pants.

My suggestion to the mother was to go and see the teacher + new teacher for next year and ask what
the school policy / class policy is for toilets. Also check the child knows how to use the toilet.
The school concerned still has 2 -3 weeks to run and the mother is worried.

Can any other Reception class teachers give advice, seeing as its not my class or a problem I have
experience of dealing with. What systems operate in other Reception classes? I use the 2 chains, one
for girls and one for boys, system with PHSE lessons covering the need to return quietly and quickly
to allow others who are waiting to go too.

Thanks for any advice.

Kyrstie Burrows
Eddie Newall
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
"Kyrstie Burrows" wrote:
[q1]> I am a Reception class teacher in South of England and a friend has talked to me about her 5 year[/q1]
[q1]> old in another school's Reception class.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The problem is that it appears that - due to the children opening closed toilet doors, being noisy[/q1]
[q1]> and bad behaviour in the toilets - the Reception class teacher has "banned" her 4 - 5 year olds[/q1]
[q1]> from going to the toilet in lesson times. (This has come via the child and mother.)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> As a Reception class teacher, and a mum, I know that you can't tell a[/q1]
young
[q1]> child to wait. If they need the toilet, they need the toilet. However[/q1]
once
[q1]> they have been that's it, unless they have a medical problem. The issue[/q1]
has
[q1]> got so bad the child concerned is coming back home in wet pants.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> My suggestion to the mother was to go and see the teacher + new teacher[/q1]
for
[q1]> next year and ask what the school policy / class policy is for toilets.[/q1]
Also
[q1]> check the child knows how to use the toilet. The school concerned still[/q1]
has
[q1]> 2 -3 weeks to run and the mother is worried.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Can any other Reception class teachers give advice, seeing as its not my class or a problem I have[/q1]
[q1]> experience of dealing with. What systems operate in other Reception classes? I use the 2 chains,[/q1]
[q1]> one for girls and one for boys, system with PHSE lessons covering the need to return quietly and[/q1]
[q1]> quickly to allow others who are waiting to go too.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks for any advice.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Kyrstie Burrows[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]

I can only speak as a parent so this probably isn't much help, but if this was happening to one of
my children I would regard it as a form of abuse. The psychological harm that this cruel treatment
may cause is considerable.

I would see the class teacher immediately and request that this practice is stopped. If I didn't get
a satisfactory response I would take it up at headteacher/school governor level. If I still didn't
get a response I would withdraw the child and take it up at LEA, local/national newspaper level.

--
Eddie Newall http://www.freeinformationcentre.co.uk
Jacquie Long
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
I have temporarily 'banned' the toilet in class time due to bad behaviour, but this was more of a
taking away the privilege, I thought that you could all be trusted to behave etc. thing. Our toilets
are a long way down a corridor, whereas some lucky people have them in their area. The teacher will
know who the children are who need to go frequently, and those who use it as 'time out' or a chance
for an opportunity to make mischief. I think that the child's mum should have a quiet word with the
teacher, as things are not always what they seem, perhaps the child is too shy to ask, perhaps the
child is telling her mum this story because she has some anxieties and is not asking to 'go'. I'm
sure you can't think of many Class R teachers who stop children who need it, going to the toilet. It
causes too many problems, wet children, wet floors. I don't use the chains and labels method, as
wearing and handling those things is very unhygienic. my kids go when they need to. I know who
really needs to and at whar intervals, who to remind as some forget 'til it is too late, especially
after so long in my class. I also think that they need to be encouraged to wait for longer periods,
not go every 15 mins or so. Every child is different. Have you noticed how they want to go
frequently in some activities but when a theatre group or a good story is happening they can wait
for a long long time.
--
Jacquie Long
Angua
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
In message <[email protected] >, Jacquie Long <[email protected]> writes
[q1]>I have temporarily 'banned' the toilet in class time due to bad behaviour, but this was more of a[/q1]
[q1]>taking away the privilege, I thought that you could all be trusted to behave etc. thing. Our[/q1]
[q1]>toilets are a long way down a corridor, whereas some lucky people have them in their area. The[/q1]
[q1]>teacher will know who the children are who need to go frequently, and those who use it as 'time[/q1]
[q1]>out' or a chance for an opportunity to make mischief. I think that the child's mum should have a[/q1]
[q1]>quiet word with the teacher, as things are not always what they seem, perhaps the child is too shy[/q1]
[q1]>to ask, perhaps the child is telling her mum this story because she has some anxieties and is not[/q1]
[q1]>asking to 'go'. I'm sure you can't think of many Class R teachers who stop children who need it,[/q1]
[q1]>going to the toilet. It causes too many problems, wet children, wet floors. I don't use the chains[/q1]
[q1]>and labels method, as wearing and handling those things is very unhygienic. my kids go when they[/q1]
[q1]>need to. I know who really needs to and at whar intervals, who to remind as some forget 'til it is[/q1]
[q1]>too late, especially after so long in my class. I also think that they need to be encouraged to[/q1]
[q1]>wait for longer periods, not go every 15 mins or so. Every child is different. Have you noticed how[/q1]
[q1]>they want to go frequently in some activities but when a theatre group or a good story is happening[/q1]
[q1]>they can wait for a long long time.[/q1]

Teachers can't always tell. I still remember my own wetting the pants episode when in y3. It was a
needlework class and I was one of the top set/good kids who never caused any trouble. I mentioned to
my friend that I'd have to go to the loo in a minute. My "friend" rushed up and asked to go to the
loo. Obviously when I asked a minute or so later I had to wait. My friend took ages - esp as the
loos were outside at the time.

Result one wet floor and very embarrassed 7 year old.

I wouldn't say it traumatised me but it is one of my earliest school memories.

Hence my own policy in most schools is to let one child go at a time but if they seem desperate I
let children out to the loo anyway. In reception and y1 I let children go the loo on demand
normally. In y2 and above I ask if they are desperate or can they hang on till break.
--
Angua

For users, by users For teachers, by teachers www.by-users.co.uk http://welcome.to/staffroom
Russell
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Kyrstie Burrows wrote:

[q1]> I am a Reception class teacher in South of England and a friend has talked to me about her 5 year[/q1]
[q1]> old in another school's Reception class.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> The problem is that it appears that - due to the children opening closed toilet doors, being noisy[/q1]
[q1]> and bad behaviour in the toilets - the Reception class teacher has "banned" her 4 - 5 year olds[/q1]
[q1]> from going to the toilet in lesson times. (This has come via the child and mother.)[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> As a Reception class teacher, and a mum, I know that you can't tell a young child to wait. If they[/q1]
[q1]> need the toilet, they need the toilet. However once they have been that's it, unless they have a[/q1]
[q1]> medical problem. The issue has got so bad the child concerned is coming back home in wet pants.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> My suggestion to the mother was to go and see the teacher + new teacher for next year and ask what[/q1]
[q1]> the school policy / class policy is for toilets. Also check the child knows how to use the toilet.[/q1]
[q1]> The school concerned still has 2 -3 weeks to run and the mother is worried.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Can any other Reception class teachers give advice, seeing as its not my class or a problem I have[/q1]
[q1]> experience of dealing with. What systems operate in other Reception classes? I use the 2 chains,[/q1]
[q1]> one for girls and one for boys, system with PHSE lessons covering the need to return quietly and[/q1]
[q1]> quickly to allow others who are waiting to go too.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Thanks for any advice.[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Kyrstie Burrows[/q1]

My last school had toilets in a cloakroom off each classroom. We had a policy that children just
stood up and went to the toilet whenever they wanted (including in Reception), as long as the
teacher wasn't addressing the class at the time - the idea being that children don't go and play in
the toilet at home so why should they at school. Interestingly, I would say that when this system
was introduced, within 2-3 weeks it halved the number of visits to the toilet.

Russell
Kyrstie Burrows
Badges:
Report 17 years ago
Thank you for your replies. I will let my friend know your suggestions.

"Russell" <[email protected] > wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Kyrstie Burrows wrote:[/q1]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q2]> > I am a Reception class teacher in South of England and a friend has[/q2]
talked
[q2]> > to me about her 5 year old in another school's Reception class.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > The problem is that it appears that - due to the children opening closed toilet doors, being[/q2]
[q2]> > noisy and bad behaviour in the toilets - the[/q2]
Reception
[q2]> > class teacher has "banned" her 4 - 5 year olds from going to the toilet[/q2]
in
[q2]> > lesson times. (This has come via the child and mother.)[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > As a Reception class teacher, and a mum, I know that you can't tell a[/q2]
young
[q2]> > child to wait. If they need the toilet, they need the toilet. However[/q2]
once
[q2]> > they have been that's it, unless they have a medical problem. The issue[/q2]
has
[q2]> > got so bad the child concerned is coming back home in wet pants.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > My suggestion to the mother was to go and see the teacher + new teacher[/q2]
for
[q2]> > next year and ask what the school policy / class policy is for toilets.[/q2]
Also
[q2]> > check the child knows how to use the toilet. The school concerned still[/q2]
has
[q2]> > 2 -3 weeks to run and the mother is worried.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Can any other Reception class teachers give advice, seeing as its not my class or a problem I[/q2]
[q2]> > have experience of dealing with. What systems[/q2]
operate
[q2]> > in other Reception classes? I use the 2 chains, one for girls and one[/q2]
for
[q2]> > boys, system with PHSE lessons covering the need to return quietly and quickly to allow others[/q2]
[q2]> > who are waiting to go too.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Thanks for any advice.[/q2]
[q2]> >[/q2]
[q2]> > Kyrstie Burrows[/q2]
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> My last school had toilets in a cloakroom off each classroom. We had a[/q1]
policy
[q1]> that children just stood up and went to the toilet whenever they wanted (including in Reception),[/q1]
[q1]> as long as the teacher wasn't addressing the[/q1]
class at
[q1]> the time - the idea being that children don't go and play in the toilet at[/q1]
home
[q1]> so why should they at school. Interestingly, I would say that when this[/q1]
system
[q1]> was introduced, within 2-3 weeks it halved the number of visits to the[/q1]
toilet.
[q1]>[/q1]
[q1]> Russell[/q1]
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Regarding Ofqual's most recent update, do you think you will be given a fair grade this summer?

Yes (345)
34.6%
No (652)
65.4%

Watched Threads