Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I did something very recently. Very interesting. I told my computer to square a 16,000 (ish) digits number and it took the machine 6 and half minutes to do it. So I'm just wondering that how long it should take for a computer to do such thing? Any ideas?

Do you agree that computers are stupid? (Computer: this is a biased question..)

ReputationRep:
    was that in the computers calculator?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    was that in the computers calculator?
    Unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    well where then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Camford)
    I did something very recently. Very interesting. I told my computer to square a 16,000 (ish) digits number and it took the machine 6 and half minutes to do it. So I'm just wondering that how long it should take for a computer to do such thing? Any ideas?

Do you agree that computers are stupid? (Computer: this is a biased question..)

You're quite a sad person to be honest. You type 16000 digits on a computer then call it stupid. Let's see you do the square of a 20 digit number in your head faster than a computer mr smartass.

Oh yea and throw away all the computer in your house..since they are all 'stupid'.

....idiot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jndikum)
    You're quite a sad person to be honest. You type 16000 digits on a computer then call it stupid. Let's see you do the square of a 20 digit number in your head mr smartass.

Oh yea and throw away all the computer in your house..since they are all 'stupid'.

....idiot
    You know, I very much doubt he typed 16,000 digits.

ReputationRep:
    I enjoy opening up calc.exe in Windows and doing 99999999999999999999999999999999 x 99999999999999999999999999999999 then multiplying each result by itself until the computer says...

The requested calculation may take a very long time to complete. Do you want to let the calculation continue or stop the operation now? Yes/No

Fun!

a.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by deary_ma_leary)
    well where then?
    A computer program, I should imagine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Allotriophagy)
    I enjoy opening up calc.exe in Windows and doing 99999999999999999999999999999999 x 99999999999999999999999999999999 then multiplying each result by itself until the computer says...

The requested calculation may take a very long time to complete. Do you want to let the calculation continue or stop the operation now? Yes/No

Fun!

a.
    these tossers need a life

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jndikum)
    You're quite a sad person to be honest. You type 16000 digits on a computer then call it stupid. Let's see you do the square of a 20 digit number in your head faster than a computer mr smartass.

....idiot
    Computers only give you answers. They can't teach, they can't tell each other how to do large number multiplication, they can't do calculus, they can't even pick up a pen write something they have just come up with. Something like a poem or whatever. Now then, if you are someone who always follow instructions, you are just as stupid as any machines. A No Brainer. I bet you'll never crack any code.

ReputationRep:
    Computers only give you answers. They can't teach, they can't tell each other how to do large number multiplication, they can't do calculus, they can't even pick up a pen write something they have just come up with. Something like a poem or whatever. Now then, if you are someone who always follow instructions, you are just as stupid as any machines. A No Brainer. I bet you'll never crack any code.
    Mate, technology is on the verge of creating such computers..keep up with the times man!! I bet you're one of those idiots who tries to point out every flaw in everything you see..someone with an opinion on everything. Actually, I've had a lot of poems published in fact..and a no brainer...pffff...you must be kidding.

Maybe it would be better if you lived 100 years ago..you would have suited it more.. why don't you just go live in the woods or something..then technology won't bother you..actually...helicopters planes and all..why don't you just disappear...

ReputationRep:
    Calculators can do calculus. Mine does. They can teach, some of them have built in tutorials. Ha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chrisbphd)
    Calculators can do calculus. Mine does. They can teach, some of them have built in tutorials. Ha.
    The tutorials arent made up by the calculator on the spur of the moment! They are programmed into it by someone, and were written by, most likely, a *human* mathematician.

ReputationRep:
    Computers aren't conscious.

ReputationRep:
    So are computers smarter than people? It is often argued that they aren't based on the fact that they only do what they are programmed to do and it is thought (by some) that they cannot be smarter than their inventors. Yet, mankind invented a crane, and that is more powerful than a human. We invented materials which are tougher than us. Machines which are faster than us. There is no doubt that computers are better at calculations than us but are they more intelligent?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Computers aren't conscious.
    I just wanted to say that your inbox is full so you can't recieve an PMs.

ReputationRep:
    I did something very recently. Very interesting.
    That's a matter of opinion.

ReputationRep:
    i think humans r more intelligent than computers
    if it wasn't 4 humans, comps wouldn't have existed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Saf!)
    i think humans r more intelligent than computers
    if it wasn't 4 humans, comps wouldn't have existed
    erm... That's until humans invent AI. Then we are probably doomed, then "Let the Matrix begin..." I think it'll take another 50 years at least.

I wonder when that happens, would the machines and humans have equal rights? After all, they would be called intellegent beings (may not be alive, but still beings).

Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.