Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Most underrated:

Who's yours?

ReputationRep:
    The Edge. The band's overrated, but he's amazing.

ReputationRep:
    Most overrated is Hendrix. Only because when you're that good, people are likely to exaggerate.

ReputationRep:
    Jon Gomm is pretty damn good.

ReputationRep:
    Dimebag, John Petrucci, Nuno Bettencourt, Alex Lifeson, and some others I've forgotten
    EDIT: ****, I just remembered Rory Gallagher, by far the most underrated ever. Interestingly, Hendrix was (allegedly) asked what it was like to be the greatest guitarist in the world, to which he replied "I dunno, ask Rory Gallagher".

ReputationRep:
    Stevie Ray Vaughn - he's not under-rated by the people who know him but he is the best guitarist of all time IMO and doesn't get nearly the amount of hype that hendrix etc. do (in the UK at least).

ReputationRep:
    Tommy Emmanuel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daniellake)
    Most overrated is Hendrix. Only because when you're that good, people are likely to exaggerate.
    Can't agree with that, there was virtually nobody that could get near him. The Who refusing to play after Jimi because he just blew the place apart, Eric Clapton saying he went home and cried after he saw Jimi and swore to never again play the guitar etc

Yes he's not as technically proficient as some guitarists (especially today), but that's completely missing the point of Hendrix.

And that isn't before you get into the cultural impact he had.

Please, stop what you're doing for an hour, and enjoy:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...64972665945187

ReputationRep:
    Hey, Hendrix is my favourite guitarist. The emotions he could conjure from a guitar were unimaginable.

In terms of recognition from his peers, he certainly has the largest following. Almost to an extent where people wish to distance themselves from him, because so many have tried to emulate his style and failed.

I should also note that although I liked SRV, he really is just the guitarist that came closest to imitating Hendrix, if he were alive I'm sure he would say Hendrix was miles ahead of anyone, perhaps ever. I really don't like comparing musicians in those terms, but when it comes to Hendrix, he just epitomises originality.

ReputationRep:
    a truly amazing guitarist is jose feliciano . jus amazin , theres a video somewhere on youtube of him playing flight of the bumblebee

ReputationRep:
    For anyone with Spotify, The Wagoner's Lad by Bert Jansch is ******* epic. He might be on the banjo though.

Bert Jansch:

Rory Gallagher - although he has a large cult following his acoustic is often ignored:

ReputationRep:
    Gary Moore??

ReputationRep:
    Davy Graham:

ReputationRep:
    Jerry Cantrell

ReputationRep:
    Oh, and I'm going to shove in a little classical guitar here. :p:

Pepe Romero. The tune's not that great, but skip to 2:55 to see the most ridiculous guitar playing ever:

ReputationRep:
    Brian Setzer is incredible.

ReputationRep:
    Guitarists get a mahoosive :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Peter Buck, imo

<3

ReputationRep:
    this:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revolution is my Name)
    Dimebag, John Petrucci, Nuno Bettencourt, Alex Lifeson, and some others I've forgotten
    EDIT: ****, I just remembered Rory Gallagher, by far the most underrated ever. Interestingly, Hendrix was (allegedly) asked what it was like to be the greatest guitarist in the world, to which he replied "I dunno, ask Rory Gallagher".
    The irony being that he's only really 'under-rated' insomuch as other (inferior) guitarists are over-rated.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Articles:

TSR wiki music section

Quick link:

Unanswered music threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.