Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was already well aware of how ridiculously fat my country (America) has gotten. Figures had been thrown at me and I'd searched them out (out of interest, not necessity for my own health or anything).

A bunch of numbers come to mind when I hear obesity...
    - Southern states (not to be stereotypical, but i think Mississippi is leading the fat race so it just comes to mind.)

-something like 30% of children are obese.

-In 31 states, obesity rates exceed 25 percent, and in 49 states and Washington, D.C., the rates are above 20 percent.

-2/3rds of adults are obese or overweight (and there are more obese people than there are overweight!)

-Child obesity at its lowest in America is still 23.3% (Utah and Minnesota) while at 44.4% in Mississippi

All of this disgusts me so much and I don't understand how people can be THAT careless. But i took solace in the thought that America was the only place that REALLY had a problem with it. We are seen as the country of fatties. But then there was a story on BBC's site about a mother who couldn't easily find pants for her son in the UK so she went to the U.S., because the entire world knows that we have enough obese people that not catering specifically to them is a serious economic disadvantage for companies. We are the fat person's Wal Mart of the world, just making it easier for people to get fatter and live unhealthy lives.... one more thing to motivate me to leave i guess.

This was more of a rant than anything. but if you guys have something to mention, have at it.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't got an answer, I'm just happy you care.

ReputationRep:
    Cause they eat so much. I ordered a small coke at some fastfood takeaway place and got what was a british large.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's because you're all sat round a computer looking at TSR waiting for this question to be answered.

Seriously though the size of some food portions in the US is, quite frankly, ridiculous and from what I've seen walking does not seem a very popular option when you can use a car.

ReputationRep:
    it's worldwide, not just in the USA. In the UK, we have it bad as well!

to me, it's diet. too much processed foods and fast food/junk food.

I think either there should be higher taxes on junk food, or junk food should be banned (or have high legal restrictions on them).

I can hear people screaming that this violates people's freedom, but something has to give. Having a global pandemic of obesity has to be resolved somehow, and even though most people KNOW eating fatty foods is bad for you, check out how many people buy KFC, fish and chips, McDonalds, Burger King on a regular basis. :yes:

ReputationRep:
    honestly, watching some documentaries/reading books about it genuinely makes me want to go out and run a mile right now! but that wouldn't be smart seeing as it's dark and people in my neighborhood are either trophy wives married for their looks, not their ability to drive/avoid pedestrians... or they're too old to see me.

ReputationRep:
    It's their problem. Worry about number 1.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by robbo3045)
    It's their problem. Worry about number 1.
    that generally works for a while. then you find out that people are trying to take up 2 seats on an airplane or train but pay the same amount that i do with only one seat. that grinds my gears so much. then they get government aid/are on welfare/other things that the rest of us pay for. 'hey lets go do whatever we want without any consequences, oh it's fine, the rest of the country can pay for my problems.' i can't get past that.

ReputationRep:
    I see where you're coming from, and I certainly don't want to pay for other peoples mistakes, but a lot of these people are unhappy about their situation. Which is why I can't hate/be mean to them for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuriso)
    Maybe it's because you're all sat round a computer looking at TSR waiting for this question to be answered.

Seriously though the size of some food portions in the US is, quite frankly, ridiculous and from what I've seen walking does not seem a very popular option when you can use a car.
    Your not joking!! The portions they have over there would serve like 4 of us here!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anick14)
    that generally works for a while. then you find out that people are trying to take up 2 seats on an airplane or train but pay the same amount that i do with only one seat. that grinds my gears so much. then they get government aid/are on welfare/other things that the rest of us pay for. 'hey lets go do whatever we want without any consequences, oh it's fine, the rest of the country can pay for my problems.' i can't get past that.
    I can understand what you mean. But it's not just fat people claiming welfare, there's a whole array of people out there claiming it, sadly. Obviously them being fat, means they have a problem in their life somewhere with food. You just need to be thankful you don't have the same problem as them, and you're healthy to do the things you want to do. Just leave them be, I'm pretty certain deep down they feel **** about themselves having to have two seats on a plane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bigmo7)
    Your not joking!! The portions they have over there would serve like 4 of us here!!

Okay now I'm looking for a legitimate answer, no exaggerations... honestly how much larger are the portions? like, a small mcdonalds coke vs a small random-uk-chain soda or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anick14)
    I was already well aware of how ridiculously fat my country (America) has gotten. Figures had been thrown at me and I'd searched them out (out of interest, not necessity for my own health or anything).

A bunch of numbers come to mind when I hear obesity...
    - Southern states (not to be stereotypical, but i think Mississippi is leading the fat race so it just comes to mind.)

-something like 30% of children are obese.

-In 31 states, obesity rates exceed 25 percent, and in 49 states and Washington, D.C., the rates are above 20 percent.

-2/3rds of adults are obese or overweight (and there are more obese people than there are overweight!)

-Child obesity at its lowest in America is still 23.3% (Utah and Minnesota) while at 44.4% in Mississippi

All of this disgusts me so much and I don't understand how people can be THAT careless. But i took solace in the thought that America was the only place that REALLY had a problem with it. We are seen as the country of fatties. But then there was a story on BBC's site about a mother who couldn't easily find pants for her son in the UK so she went to the U.S., because the entire world knows that we have enough obese people that not catering specifically to them is a serious economic disadvantage for companies. We are the fat person's Wal Mart of the world, just making it easier for people to get fatter and live unhealthy lives.... one more thing to motivate me to leave i guess.

This was more of a rant than anything. but if you guys have something to mention, have at it.
    This is no longer a uniquely American problem. Obesity is becoming epidemic all over the developed (& developing) world. Here's Britain....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/5282446.stm

Even the "sporting and culinary nations" of Australia and France respectively are seeing huge surges in weight and obesity problems. Hardly surprising since Australians spend only about a third as much time as they did outside 20 years ago and France has abandoned their slow food culture is now the second largest market for MacDonalds in the world.

Nobody can point a fat finger at the yanks for being the only nation of lardasses anymore.

ReputationRep:
    An American small is a British large?!

Oh God, this is gonna be a long year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    An American small is a British large?!

Oh God, this is gonna be a long year.
    No it isn't. A small coke in McDonalds in the US is about the same as a small coke in McDonalds in the UK. Same with the french fries. And a Big Mac is a Big Mac.

The difference is in the "supersizes" which generally aren't so available in the UK.

ReputationRep:
    Because they stuff everything with bacon, cheese and sugar. It's disgusting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    No it isn't. A small coke in McDonalds in the US is about the same as a small coke in McDonalds in the UK. Same with the french fries. And a Big Mac is a Big Mac.

The difference is in the "supersizes" which generally aren't so available in the UK.
    Oh thank goodness.

Then what are all these people talking about?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Because y'all eat too much crap. Americans tend to eat fatty foods by the bucket. Its getting similar here though.

ReputationRep:
    It's all the junk food you can get for ridiculously cheap prices. I was at In N Out one time and I ordered a large Coke but then saw for 20 cents more, you could get an extra large. When I got it, it was like a massive big popcorn barrel! I didn't measure it but it felt like a 1.5 litre bottle at least!

The fact that they have cupholders for extra large drinks in many vehicles over there compared to the rest of the world really does say something too.

Speaking of which, I really fancy an In N Out burger right now; it's not the best but nothing compares to the experience when you haven't had one for ages....

/lickslips

PS. During my year over there, I couldn't find ONE place in California that did a Doner Kebab like we do over here! I was like OMG, first thing I'm getting is a nice greasy Doner Kebab as soon as I got back home lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1tadakimasu)
    It's all the junk food you can get for ridiculously cheap prices. I was at In N Out one time and I ordered a large Coke but then saw for 20 cents more, you could get an extra large. When I got it, it was like a massive big popcorn barrel! I didn't measure it but it felt like a 1.5 litre bottle at least!

The fact that they have cupholders for extra large drinks in many vehicles over there compared to the rest of the world really does say something too.

Speaking of which, I really fancy an In N Out burger right now; it's not the best but nothing compares to the experience when you haven't had one for ages....

/lickslips

PS. During my year over there, I couldn't find ONE place in California that did a Doner Kebab like we do over here! I was like OMG, first thing I'm getting is a nice greasy Doner Kebab as soon as I got back home lol
    Shush, In-N-Out burger is the best kinda burger ever!

And it's actually slightly more healthy than most other fast food.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 15, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.