Turn on thread page Beta

Why's my Country so Fat??? watch

ReputationRep:
    I don't blame the food... I lived at school with turkey twizzlers and hash browns and fried eggs, they then took out all the healthy food, I eat like a horse, but I exercise enough to balance it out.

I was so mad when they took the foods out, hash brown and bacon roll in the morning at school was heaven, but fat people made the thin people lose out, its a matter of laziness, no exercise and you will be obese..

I'm on TSR now, I'm also still in bed, but I ran the London 10K Race yesterday, and I have football training tonight, its just about putting the effort in to do exercise.

The issue gets worse though, once you are obese, it's harder to lose weight, or so I imagine..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    There was a whole thing about this recently in the news. French women were the thinnest. They said it was because they felt more pressure to look good from men. We should pile the pressure on to keep ourselves healthy and thin
    Actually it's probably more unhealthy to pressure someone into becoming thin, as some people are going to try and take shortcuts, possibly starving themselves etc. What needs to change is attitudes towards diet and exercise. People need to start eating like the Japanese, Mediterraneans, etc.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktom91)
    this is so true though. when i went to usa the mcdonalds chips small box was the same as our uk large box lol. same price though so you cant complain :eek:
    No, it's not. A McDonald's US small comes in a bag and has the same size portion as a UK small.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smalltownboy)
    Logic fail.

America has a larger percent of obesity for a number of reasons; the most pertinent being the increased usage of cars (even for short distances), portion sizes (which ARE vastly different...I go on holiday to the states every summer and it really is a completely different culinary experience, from fast food chains to normal restaurants), the fact that even so-called healthy foods are actually fattening (a salad in McDonalds contains almost as much [or maybe more, i cannae remember] fat as a quarter pounder because of the fatty sauce) and the lack of cheap, available healthy foods.
    How is that a logic fail, I was commenting on the fast food topic, I wasn't even talking about the reasons for American's obesity. Most of the salads on sale in British supermarkets have stupid amounts of fat in them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kuriso)
    from what I've seen walking does not seem a very popular option when you can use a car.
    Unfortunately in the US driving over walking is often done not just out of laziness, but out of necessity. Rather than having all their shops in the centre, American towns tend to sprawl outwards and so you instead have to drive a few miles out of town to get to the supermarkets, strip malls and big box megastores.

Technically you probably could walk to the shops, but you might have to walk along the side of a dual carriageway to do it.

I'm definitely not saying this excuses our general fatness, but the problem is deeper than just us being a bunch of lazy flabtastic mother****ers.

ReputationRep:
    you do have alot of fastfood places, and supersize meals in mcdonalds :O

ReputationRep:
    Hands up all those who knew the OP was from America before clicking on the post.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TJH89)
    How is that a logic fail, I was commenting on the fast food topic, I wasn't even talking about the reasons for American's obesity. Most of the salads on sale in British supermarkets have stupid amounts of fat in them.
    The premise of Super Size Me is that fast food is incredibly bad for you in extremes, not just specifically McDonalds. How it stopped you from touching a Big Mac yet you happily eat a Whopper seems ridiculous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cabbaman98)
    Hands up all those who knew the OP was from America before clicking on the post.
    **puts hand up**

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_KaKa)
    What a great comeback. You should be so proud that you've achieved something today!
    I've always hated prejudiced people.

ReputationRep:
    Portion sizes. When I went to American, and went to Outback, Chilis, etc, those sorts of restaurants, one meal would be double or three times the size of a meal in England. And the prices are so cheap, for so MUCH food. My dad would order a calamari appetizer and be given a gigantic pile of it whereas in England you'd get a few pieces on a plate.
    I don't deny the food is delicious, though. Except chocolate. We win there.
    Also cars -- in Britain most people live IN little towns or villages where there are shops in walking distance, whereas America is often so spaced out that driving is necessary.

ReputationRep:
    fast food is too cheap in america! i watched a documentary and this fat american texan said that it was cheaper for him to eat out every day to cook healthy food for himself at home.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by vander Beth)
    No, it's not. A McDonald's US small comes in a bag and has the same size portion as a UK small.
    That's 100% correct. Since when did McDonalds start selling small fries in large boxes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmalev)
    fast food is too cheap in america! i watched a documentary and this fat american texan said that it was cheaper for him to eat out every day to cook healthy food for himself at home.
    Well, he's imagining things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brouhaha)
    Portion sizes. When I went to American, and went to Outback, Chilis, etc, those sorts of restaurants, one meal would be double or three times the size of a meal in England. And the prices are so cheap, for so MUCH food. My dad would order a calamari appetizer and be given a gigantic pile of it whereas in England you'd get a few pieces on a plate.
    I don't deny the food is delicious, though. Except chocolate. We win there.
    Also cars -- in Britain most people live IN little towns or villages where there are shops in walking distance, whereas America is often so spaced out that driving is necessary.

Agreed. but whichever american thought of putting chocolate and peanut butter together was a genius!:yes:

ReputationRep:
    Honestly I just think It's people's choice. I'm not fat because I exercise and have a 'normal' diet (3 meals a day; Breakfast, lunch, dinner). It could almost come under an addiction.. fatty foods? If only people just had the willpower to eat normally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Howard)
    I've always hated prejudiced people.
    Good for you. Now jog on :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Most of them are sedentary:dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm...I had a pretty crappy day and wasn't going to work out because of it. After reading this thread, I'm hopping on the treadmill lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joshua3)
    Come on, it has worked in France. And if there is no pressure how will they even change to a better diet like you said? There has to be pressure
    Actually, I think it's more to do with the French cuisine not revolving around unhealthy, calorific fast foods like the Americans. A little pressure (to be healthy) will work, but I don't think solely pressurising people to be skinny is the most intelligent way to go about it.

Anyway, I love food. *Daydreams*.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.