Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Sounds fine to me. I did biology, chemistry, music and english literature and had no problems. Have a go at economics for AS then see which one you prefer for A2.

ReputationRep:
    As an aside, Sheffield wants this:

Subjects at AS Level: Chemistry, Biology, another science and any other subject.

ReputationRep:
    I'm only taking Chemistry and Biology alongside English Lit and History, and I assumed that the three sciences policy applied throughout Cambridge colleges! Thanks for the info!

I was initially a bit worried if not having maths would disadvantage me, but I've asked a lot of doctors and even current students and they seem to argue that it doesn't matter and many even encourage variety and wider understanding.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    You need 3 sciences for all Cambridge colleges.
    Stupid *****. :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Jonty99
    You need 3 sciences for all Cambridge colleges.
    Or at least 2 sciences (one of which is chemistry) and math.
    But if it's between Sociology and Econ, I would definately keep Economics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)
    Or at least 2 sciences (one of which is chemistry) and math.
    But if it's between Sociology and Econ, I would definitely keep Economics.
    Why? When you assess candidates (which school by the way?), why do you prefer them to have Economics?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Stupid *****. :facepalm:
    Perhaps you should check their website, as I am correct. (I am counting maths as a science, as that's what cambridge does)

EDIT: I actually don't know if you're calling me stupid for getting my facts wrong (which I did not do), or Cambridge stupid for requesting 3 sciences...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jonty99)
    Perhaps you should check their website, as I am correct. (I am counting maths as a science, as that's what cambridge does)

EDIT: I actually don't know if you're calling me stupid for getting my facts wrong (which I did not do), or Cambridge stupid for requesting 3 sciences...
    Sorry, the swear filter has taken all the meaning out of that, it should read 'stupid ****s'. I think Cambridge are absolutely mad for doing this, but if they're determined to turn out more scientists than doctors then this is probably the way forward...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Sorry, the swear filter has taken all the meaning out of that, it should read 'stupid ****s'. I think Cambridge are absolutely mad for doing this, but if they're determined to turn out more scientists than doctors then this is probably the way forward...
    All depends on where you're applying really doesn't it - we all know if we put our snobby hat on which subjects are seen as "good" and which are seen as "lesser".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philosoraptor)
    All depends on where you're applying really doesn't it - we all know if we put our snobby hat on which subjects are seen as "good" and which are seen as "lesser".
    Oh absolutely. I just think limiting your options (in terms of reducing the applicant pool) especially in this way is quite bad for the future of medicine. I can think of hundreds of good doctors and senior students who wouldn't get a look in these days.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    I can think of hundreds of good doctors and senior students who wouldn't get a look in these days.
    There I agree with you! Definitely - particularly if you look at grades rather than subjects... due to the fact people who have been in for a while probably took sciences etc. I know most of your graduated year wouldn't get in!

ReputationRep:
    Originally Posted by Renal
    I can think of hundreds of good doctors and senior students who wouldn't get a look in these days.
    I completely agree!

(Original post by Renal)
    Why? When you assess candidates (which school by the way?), why do you prefer them to have Economics?
    (This is purely an opinion) but I would say keep economics because it does seem to be more widely respected among the "top" universities (I'm not implying that sociology is not respected, just Economics is more so)
    Also, if you look at the trinity, Cambridge website, it states that Economics is a generally more preferred subject than Sociology.
    Here's the Link:
    http://www.trin.cam.ac.uk/index.php?pageid=604
    Trinity states that "[Sociology and others in the same] lists A-levels we consider to be of more limited suitability"

But good luck!

edit: Keep in mind, this is only one college in Cambridge, so it ight not be representative of all universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)
    (This is purely an opinion) but I would say keep economics because it does seem to be more widely respected among the "top" universities (I'm not implying that sociology is not respected, just Economics is more so)
    Also, if you look at the trinity, Cambridge website, it states that Economics is a generally more preferred subject than Sociology.
    Here's the Link:
    Trinity states that "[Sociology and others in the same] lists A-levels we consider to be of more limited suitability"
    Medicine is, however, an entirely different ball game.

ReputationRep:
    Sociology rocks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kpatb)
    I completely agree!

Here's the Link:

But good luck!

edit: Keep in mind, this is only one college in Cambridge, so it ight not be representative of all universities.
    Sociology is part of the medical curriculum. Economics isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Toiletpaper8)
    What's sociology? :confused:
    I believe it is applied psychology. (E.g. in societies)

However I may be wrong...

ReputationRep:
    I thought I made my mind up but im still not sure, what if i substitute economics with Statistics(Maths) at AS level or A2.???

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.