Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be a virgin to get it, but obviously if you've been having sex before there's a chance you've already got cancer :p: And it doesn't protect against it completely.

Most people feel fine afterwards, just a bit sore, but there are the odd few people it just doesn't like. One of my friends got a horrible rash she had to get medication for, and it made me feel really sick and weak- I almost fainted a few hours after my 3rd :p:

ReputationRep:
    Are you only just getting them? In my area we had these injections last year!! I guess we were some of the first people then! I got no side effects what so ever from them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by missaphrodite)
    So, I got the HPV vaccine letter through the post the other day
    I'm terrified of needles/injections and apparently there are loads of possible nasty side effects...and also I'd have to have an injection on 3 separate occasions...just thinking about it makes me feel faint :/
    My mum is all for it, but it's not like it's a cure for cancer is it?
    Does anyone know the solid facts about the vaccine?
    Also, I thought you had to be a virgin, hence why they were giving them only to younger students than myself at first (I'm 17).
    Im thinking what exactly is it about this needle that you're "terrified of"?

The expected pain? (which is nothing but a tiny little scratch, the more you relax the less it hurts too)

That you think It can kill you? (it won't! lol)

You're going to come across many needles, injections etc as you get older, its better to face this phobia/paranoia/fear NOW rather than later

does make me lol though when a pt with numerous body piercing tells me they don't like needles...:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    i've had 2 of the 3, and like everyone else is saying go for it. these horror stories are exactly that, stories. there has been another thread on this where i said the same thing. if i'm offered something that can prevent some types of cancer, them i'm gonna take it up...just like BCG, meningitis etc etc.
    and i don't like needles either, but don't look and it's really not that bad! arm just hurts for a couple of days. 2nd one is the worst so i'm told.

ReputationRep:
    I recently had my last injection and I didn't get hardly any side effects from any of them. Apart from my arm aching afterwards for a bit, and after the second I felt a little bit light-headed for a few minutes but it was a boiling hot day.

It's definitely worth having, although you still need to have smear tests and everything when you are older.

ReputationRep:
    Im terrified of injections aswell & Ive had the 1st two! I go faint after but just stay sitting down for a while n drink water then get up n go! Not that bad altho they do ache a bit for the next few days. Id say its worth it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hexasol)
    xP Thanks

I want to have the vaccine, I just missed it at school and I have no idea when they'll do it at college..

At times like these I wish I was a guy
    Thanks for the link too Found this : http://www.immunisation.nhs.uk/files...chedule_v2.pdf

it tells you when they'll offer the vaccine in yrs 12 & 13, hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    You don't have to be a virgin.
    The side effects are very very rare.
    It protects you from one of the most common forms of cervical cancer - so it might not be a "cure" for this type of cancer but it's a prevention, which is better.

ReputationRep:
    I've had no problems except for a sore arm. I was getting a cold anyway, so that's not down to that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I'm 18 and havn't been replying to the letters they have been sending me from the doctors surgery- they sent it twice. Can I still get it done or is it under 18s only? I am a virgin.
    yes you can

ReputationRep:
    i am terrified of needles, but if i had the choice i'd get the HPV vaccine

damn my not being eligible!

"Girls born before 1st September 1990:

There is no current plan to offer the vaccine to those aged 18 and over as part of a national programme."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)

There is no current plan to offer the vaccine to those aged 18 and over as part of a national programme."
    That doesn't exclude you. That's just the initial wave of the planned immunisation programme. Go to your GP practice and ask for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    That doesn't exclude you. That's just the initial wave of the planned immunisation programme. Go to your GP practice and ask for it.

afaik, atm it is avaliable on the NHS for girls born after 1990 or something

ReputationRep:
    I've had all three. Just another jab and definately worth getting. Just relax your arm. Doesn't hurt like the bcg jab. Every one I know got theirs, no problem. Get yours and be protected.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xXMessedUpXx)

well I was born on in november 1990 and they allowed me to have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jessyfantastic90)
    well I was born on in november 1990 and they allowed me to have it.
    That's because you were born after September 1990, not before.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 17, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.