Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello...

I am coming to the UK this fall for school and wanted to know what people in the UK generally think of Canadians??? Are there any negative stereotypes associated with Canadians that I should be aware of.... don't want to be shocked when I get there....

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    Well I had a Canadian teacher at school.. she was pretty nice. When you meet people for the first time they might think you are American; I know I certainly find it hard to tell the difference in accent. I think there is a certain degree of anti-Americanism amongst some people (not a majority!) in the UK, but I don't think anybody associates that with Canadians too, so when you explain who you are you probably wont have a problem with that.

Besides, anybody who judges somebody based on their nationality is probably not somebody who is really worth hanging out with... clichéd advice I know, but I think its worth remembering

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by youes25)
    Hi
    Well I had a Canadian teacher at school.. she was pretty nice. When you meet people for the first time they might think you are American; I know I certainly find it hard to tell the difference in accent. I think there is a certain degree of anti-Americanism amongst some people (not a majority!) in the UK, but I don't think anybody associates that with Canadians too, so when you explain who you are you probably wont have a problem with that.

Besides, anybody who judges somebody based on their nationality is probably not somebody who is really worth hanging out with... clichéd advice I know, but I think its worth remembering

Completely agree with youes25. I also had two canadian teachers attend my schoolthis year, and again for some reason they were classed as 'Americans', but there wasn't any anti-Americanism. Honestly, I think you will be fine, your attending school so you should just be focusing on studying. It may take some time to get used to the "cool. she has an american accent" thing, but it will pass.

ReputationRep:
    Personally I love canadians! I stayed there for the past month (in London, Ontario) and love the enthusiasm and politeness of the canadian people. 1 month there has actually persuaded me to swerve off america for canada when i decide to emigrate. Go canadians I shall give you rep for being canadian! Whereabouts are you from?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meskell)
    Personally I love canadians! I stayed there for the past month (in London, Ontario) and love the enthusiasm and politeness of the canadian people. 1 month there has actually persuaded me to swerve off america for canada when i deice to emigrate. Go canadians I shall give you rep for being canadian! Whereabouts are you from?
    I'm from Vancouver, BC.... (where the 2010 winter olympics are happening )

Thanks everyone for the input... I'm not as nervous now knowing that I won't be "hated" just because I'm from Canada .....

P.S. I, at times, can't tell the difference from our accent and the accent of northern americans, and I've lived here my whole life... :yes:

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Vancouver is where my uncle lives, I am visiting next year I believ.
    If I have the money I am heading back to London again this winter, I really do love canada now and have fell in love with the people!

Where are you going to in England?

I think the main difference between Canadian and north american accents is that canadians say 'eh' A LOT! As well as 'aboot' which is genius!!

Ah canadians!!

ReputationRep:
    Don't be upset if people ask where you are from in America, it happens alot, and we're sorry. You'll get a very good response when you explain that you're not from Canada, it will make you feel good =)

ReputationRep:
    Aha! Vancouver is where my uncle lives, I am visiting next year I believ.
    If I have the money I am heading back to London again this winter, I really do love canada now and have fell in love with the people!

Where are you going to in England?

I think the main difference between Canadian and north american accents is that canadians say 'eh' A LOT! As well as 'aboot' which is genius!!

Ah canadians!!
    Im going to Sheffield for uni... excited but at the same time worried about the culture shock....:eek:

If you liked London, you'll love Vancouver... its one of the best places as its close to one of the best mountain resorts around and great for the outdoors at anytime of the year...

And only the easterners say "aboot"... we on the west coast say "about".. west coast canadians have a similar accent to those from L.A. And "eh" just sets us apart... we don't even realize we are sayin it tho :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Harp35)
    Im going to Sheffield for uni... excited but at the same time worried about the culture shock....:eek:

If you liked London, you'll love Vancouver... its one of the best places as its close to one of the best mountain resorts around and great for the outdoors at anytime of the year...

And only the easterners say "aboot"... we on the west coast say "about".. west coast canadians have a similar accent to those from L.A. And "eh" just sets us apart... we don't even realize we are sayin it tho :p:
    Ah when the London canadians got wound up or excited they seemed to over say 'eh' but it was brilliant and I just went with it! I did notice the alarming similarity to a Californian accent though, it sounded like everyone was asking eachother a question :P.
    You might have a little trouble understanding our accents, but as your in Sheffield they talk incredibly slowly so you should be fine

You will notice a big culture shock though, the goverment nannys us much more over here and it is incredibly cramped compared to your beautiful country .
    Btw can I just say I loved Canada Day

ReputationRep:
    I'm emigrating to Canada in November :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Kanedaa :awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Ah when the London canadians got wound up or excited they seemed to over say 'eh' but it was brilliant and I just went with it! I did notice the alarming similarity to a Californian accent though, it sounded like everyone was asking eachother a question :P.
    You might have a little trouble understanding our accents, but as your in Sheffield they talk incredibly slowly so you should be fine

You will notice a big culture shock though, the goverment nannys us much more over here and it is incredibly cramped compared to your beautiful country .
    Btw can I just say I loved Canada Day
    dont forget carabana in toronto...

i heard there are boobies everywhere :awesome: i must check this out before i go back.

ReputationRep:
    most people think your american

then you say canadian and everyone loves you

ReputationRep:
    Being a Canadian in the UK I have to disagree with the majority of people on here who are saying - "they think you are American"........ I have found the vast majority of people ask what part of Canada am I from ...very few ask if I am American. A few of the things that "shocked" me were things like everything (except pubs) closes before 6:00 pm - so if you want a Starbucks or something you're out of luck in the evening......and forget about doing the currency conversion when you buy things or you never will - accept that things will cost you twice what you would pay in Canada and enjoy the experience of England.

ReputationRep:
    Amazingly friendly, outgoing, talkative, upbeat...okay I've only met about 12 Canadians in my life but they were all like that

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, Canada hasnt done anything negative for people in the UK to think negatively about them.

ReputationRep:
    Most annoying accent ever.

Asise from that, you guys are okay

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I meet a Canadian I just spend all my time arguing with them that their country should be called Canadia... Nobody here really has anything bad to say about Canadians though as far as I know. No stereotypes about them...

ReputationRep:
    I'm from Vancouver, BC.... (where the 2010 winter olympics are happening )

Thanks everyone for the input... I'm not as nervous now knowing that I won't be "hated" just because I'm from Canada .....

P.S. I, at times, can't tell the difference from our accent and the accent of northern americans, and I've lived here my whole life... :yes:
    Ah I'm glad you can't tell the difference either! Makes me feel a bit better about confusing Americans and Canadians - I always feel bad!

Personally I love Canadians and everything about Canada... I went to Vancouver last summer and it's the most amazing place I've ever been to, absolutely stunning! I've also been skiing in Quebec and visited Toronto and Niagara (which are all very cool too!). I'd love to come and live there one day.

ReputationRep:
    Hello...

I am coming to the UK this fall for school and wanted to know what people in the UK generally think of Canadians??? Are there any negative stereotypes associated with Canadians that I should be aware of.... don't want to be shocked when I get there....

Thanks

I haven't heard any negative stereotypes.
    It's not like everyone judges a person just by their heritage anyway...

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: October 1, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.