Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Reverse Seasonal Affective disorder (SAD) in the summertime Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you hate summertime or are just not enjoying yourself while its boling hot and everyone else is having fun you might be a suffer of the above illness. As i did come across an article in the newspaper's today.

The symptoms were:

Wanting to stay indoors when its sunny outside
    Wishing for wintertime to start
    Getting happy when it does rain
    Drawing curtains so its dark in your room even though its daytime

Do you know of a person who suffers from it, they may not no this or If you do have is it a psychological problem and what are the causes ?

ReputationRep:
    I feel like that alot of the time!

But I don't think I suffer from it- I think I actually just prefer the winter and rain?

But I do do the whole curtain thing.

Strange. Do you suffer from it then?

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in the middle east suffers frm it!

ReputationRep:
    I think you "suffer" if the seasonal weather just makes you feel really depressed, right? Some people might just not like the sun, but it might not make them "SAD"

(Original post by geeksandtherest)
    Wanting to stay indoors when its sunny outside
    Wishing for wintertime to start
    Getting happy when it does rain
    Drawing curtains so its dark in your room even though its daytime
    Wow... I didn't know this actually existed, but yeah, that describes me pretty well. I just don't like the summer. I hate the bugs, the increased social activity, the fake tan, and I hate being hot. When the heatwave ended last week and it got colder I was so happy - I always rush to the window when it rains, and just stare for minutes on end. Love thunderstorms too. Probably sounds weird as hell to most people, but I'm just not a spring/summer person.

ReputationRep:
    everything is labelled with a disorder these days. It's sad really. It's also pretty defeatist/negative.

I can understand about SAD in winter, lack of sunlight....

'reverse SAD' rofl wtf :rolleyes:

It can feel very hot in the summer and people like to have some respite from it and stay indoors from time to time. People like the occasional rainfall in the summer as it has a nice, cooling effect, and again it provides some sort of respite from the warm weather. Drawing the curtains keeps the sun and warmth out and keeps a house generally cooler. It's not particularly nice sleeping in an overly warm house.

I do all the things you mention, 'the symptoms' :rolleyes: , except wishing for winter to arrive. That's me being a human, having preferences and making life a little easier for myself in challenging climatic conditions, not having a ****ing disorder.

I sometimes just want to meet the shrinks who engineer these disorders and slam their collective heads against a brick wall tbfh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Probably sounds weird as hell to most people.
    No it doesn't. Why does everyone like to think they're "just weird" or " so random". You're not different, or 'mental', or random, and thinking you are doesn't make you any more interesting. You're just as boring as everyone else.

Back on topic, 'Reverse SAD' is ridiculous. Why does preferring one season over another need labeling and turning into a mental illness? As if there aren't enough deluded people in the world.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think "Reverse SAD" actually exists.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I don't think "Reverse SAD" actually exists.
    This.

And SAD isn't where you just don't like the winter - it's a lot worse than that.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 13, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.