Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I saw this reply in one of the other, ever popular "y am i still virgin" threads.

What does it mean?

Is it like when gay people say they're proud to be gay, in that it makes no sense whatsoever and is a silly thing to say?

How can you be proud of:
    1) Not having the sexual urge to have 'sexual flings'. You can hardly control this, so where does the pride stem from?
    2) Having not found, or been accepted by any partner you wish to have sex with as an act of love.
    3) Waiting for *some event*.

Are there any other possible reasons for pride that I can't think of?

I would like to know why some virgins would rather be virgins than not. Unless of course this isn't what pride means in this sense.

Here I am discounted such cases where virginity is lost due to rape. I would like to define loss of virginity here, only in consentual cases.

This thread has been spawned by my puzzled reaction to the thread(s) mentioned above, and my sleep deprived state.

Also note, I am both gay and a virgin so this is not an attack on either groups of people.

ReputationRep:
    I never understood this either tbh. I'm not a virgin myself, so technically can't comment, but I don't think people are accomplishing anything by being a virgin. It's not difficult to not have sex, it's more difficult to get out there and do it. So it should be the other way I suppose....
    You've got me all confused!

Edit: though it does seem like a lot more people are in a hurry to lose it than who are proud to keep their virginity.

Edit edit: And with the gay thing, I think people aren't so much proud to be gay, but are proud that they can be open and admitted without feeling the shame that is sometimes attached to it. (Again not being gay, so technically can't comment) but I think that since coming out would be a big deal for most people, so they can be proud of themselves for doing it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by patrickthestarfish)
    I never understood this either tbh. I'm not a virgin myself, so technically can't comment, but I don't think people are accomplishing anything by being a virgin. It's not difficult to not have sex, it's more difficult to get out there and do it. So it should be the other way I suppose....
    You've got me all confused!
    Haha, good response.

To be honest, I don't know what pride means anymore.
    I don't think even the almighty dictionary does either. :confused:

I can imagine religion playing quite a role in this. A lot of people would feel proud in the fact that they have remained a virgin for God/their own personal beliefs, despite all the pressures that we are surrounded by each and every single day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AnonyMatt)
    I saw this reply in one of the other, ever popular "y am i still virgin" threads.

What does it mean?

Is it like when gay people say they're proud to be gay, in that it makes no sense whatsoever and is a silly thing to say?

How can you be proud of:
    1) Not having the sexual urge to have 'sexual flings'. You can hardly control this, so where does the pride stem from?
    2) Having not found, or been accepted by any partner you wish to have sex with as an act of love.

I would like to know why some virgins would rather be virgins than not. Unless of course this isn't what pride means in this sense.

Here I am discounted such cases where virginity is lost due to rape. I would like to define loss of virginity here, only in consentual cases.

This thread has been spawned by my puzzled reaction to the thread(s) mentioned above, and my sleep deprived state.

Also note, I am both gay and a virgin so this is not an attack on either groups of people.
    When people are like "I'm proud to be gay", I don understand it either. Isn't your sexual orientation just a fraction of who u are? I don think anyone should be proud or ashamed of it, gay or straight. Bout ur question, virginity among girls have been valued throughout the living history. A virgin girl is thought to be the symbol of purity and stuff. Hvr, the opposite is true for guys (make that str8 guys)... Among gay guys, however, they can relate more with girls than guys.... Trust me I'm not reinforcing the stereotypes but this is generally true. I wld personally, wait until I'm like 60 to loose it up rather than shag a random hotty just for the sake of having sex.

ReputationRep:
    I don't quite understand how you can be proud (or ashamed) of being a virgin or not (excluding rape cases for ashamed of losing virginity).
    When people boast to me about being virgins or about sleeping around.. I don't even know what to say. "Well done"?

ReputationRep:
    I think being proud to be a virgin is just being proud of the fact that you're not like the masses (though there are a growing number of virgins apparently)

ReputationRep:
    It's something that people are proud of because they aren't conforming to the typical norms of society.

Except in the cases where they just can't get any, then there's nothing to be proud of.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by un_gars_romatinque)
    When people are like "I'm proud to be gay", I don understand it either. Isn't your sexual orientation just a fraction of who u are?
    I think with the gay thing, many gay people say they are proud because it is something that in the past and present people have been ashamed by or have been told to be ashamed of it. 'Change, repent' etc etc etc. So I think it does make sense really.

As with virgins, I can see something to be proud of. Although I am not, doing it the first time with someone you feel a credible deep connection with, plan to stay with the rest of your life, the one thing that only the both of you have shared with each other. It's harder not to sleep about really, than it is to sleep about. Because the temptation is always there. So it is something to be proud of I reckon.

ReputationRep:
    As a virgin myself, I think that being proud of one's virginity is utterly ridiculous, as is being ashamed of it. Being a virgin does NOT make you 'pure' or somehow superior, nor does it make you a freak. All it means is that you've never done the horizontal tango. The end.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe they mean they are proud to be a virgin instead of the opposite...ashamed and/or embarrassed for never having sex.

ReputationRep:
    i think its really easy to get confused between being proud and being high and mighty about something.

I have a housemate who does not want premarital sex, and she's proud because dispite having a few boyfirends in uni she was able to maintain her disapline (and funily enough some guys say "i dont want premarital sex either" just to get her to like them more, lol), but shes never been high and mighty holier than though about it, that would just really get on my nerves

What does it mean?

How can you be proud of:

I just had the most ludicrous thought then, of a Virgin Pride parade...

I don't know if some people are proud or not; maybe they're like me and ried of being aone all the time. I feel so lonely some times that I could weep.

ReputationRep:
    Socities pressure is bull, its not important...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    Socities pressure is bull, its not important...
    What do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Delta Usafa)
    What do you mean?
    I mean does it really matter if your a virgin or not? people feel so worried about it because sex is in your face, rather everyone is talking about it and making those wo havent feel bad that they havent yet, or its been slapped in your face in magazines and on the internet. It makes people ask oh why hasnt it happened to me yet when there like 19, i think it crazy it just seems like bull **** peer pressure

ReputationRep:
    Personally I think people make to big of a deal about virginity, Yeah It's special but not as important as people make it out to be.. It seems their is a virtual deadline in which you must have lost your virginity by. American Pie and films like that add to this

ReputationRep:
    It's pretty much the pride in knowing that we didn't feel pressured into sex despite what peers expect and how the media is so focused on sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lessthanzero)
    I mean does it really matter if your a virgin or not? people feel so worried about it because sex is in your face, rather everyone is talking about it and making those wo havent feel bad that they havent yet, or its been slapped in your face in magazines and on the internet. It makes people ask oh why hasnt it happened to me yet when there like 19, i think it crazy it just seems like bull **** peer pressure
    Ah okay. I wasn't sure if you were saying that, or if you were saying that there is no pressure from society.

ReputationRep:
    People say it because of the amount of peer pressure on losing it.
    But personally, I think 16+ year olds should be adult enough to think for themselves, and not be affected by what their friends say.
    Nothing to be PROUD of really, it's not that hard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.