Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

UNI HELP! [Law]. oxbridge, UCL, nottingham, bristol, durham... Watch

ReputationRep:
    hi people!

i am so lost with universities atm! :woo:
    i am definitely doing law... im a hong kong student and im just torn between everything!
    i have 38 points for my IB predicted grade, and will be taking the LNATS soon. what are my chances of getting into oxbridge???

my criteria for a uni would be:

-campus, more personal- london unis?? what are they like??
    -reputable law faculty (!!!)
    -strong student union
    -dance team/cheerleading???
    -PREFERABLY less hk students... hence my decision not to go LSE...

im also very into dance and im captain of my schools dance team and everything. unfortunately with UK universities (correct me if im wrong) they dont really have the whole school team spirit thing (as much as in the US)...?

my uni choices:
    -oxbridge
    -nottingham
    -UCL/LSE
    -Durham/Bristol/Manchester

i dont knowwwwwww please help! i would be so grateful if anyone could offer any info! Thanks, guys :p:

ReputationRep:
    hi people!

i am so lost with universities atm!
    i am definitely doing law... im a hong kong student and im just torn between everything!
    i have 38 points for my IB predicted grade, and will be taking the LNATS soon. what are my chances of getting into oxbridge???

-strong student union

im also very into dance and im captain of my schools dance team and everything. unfortunately with UK universities (correct me if im wrong) they dont really have the whole school team spirit thing (as much as in the US)...?

my uni choices:
    -oxbridge
    -nottingham
    -UCL/LSE

i dont knowwwwwww please help! i would be so grateful if anyone could offer any info! Thanks, guys :p:

ReputationRep:
    1. You will find HK students everywhere , whether they are doing their undergraduate or postgraduate.

2. The ones you mentioned all have a very reputable law faculty. You may also wish to add Warwick and Birmingham to that ( just the two universities I could think of the top of my head).

3. As for team spirit I would have to disagree. All universities have a vast array of societies to join so there is something for everyone. As for location it depends on what you want as the universities you mentioned above all have great campuses (non-London ones).

4. 38 on the IB. Despite Oxford giving out offers starting from 38 points this does not necessarily mean that they will and you'll be at a disadvantage with students submitting predictions at 40 points or higher.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    To whoever moved this back to GUD: the OP is certain that she wants to do a law degree and is looking for advice on the basis of that, so this definitely belongs in the Law forum.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the info!
    Sorry about that-- new to the site.

Is there a big difference between campus and no-campus? not so much the convenience of a city-life but how the people are, like are they less friendly, as into the school... of course this would have to be a gross generalization...

Right now I think I mainly have to choose between Bristol, Nottingham, Warwick, Birmingham I think
    pros and cons?

also if anyone knows anything about a dance team at their uni...
    cos msot of the dance programs i looked at on the website seemed to be more contemporary, ballet, jazz etc
    not so much of a street dance scene?

ReputationRep:
    errrrrrrm dunno about cheerleading at ucl, but yeah law is good there

ReputationRep:
    Hi firstly Oxbridge and Durham are not campus unis as I'm sure you're aware. However they are made up of colleges which leads to quite a lot of college team spirit and also rivalry between colleges which might be what you're looking for. When I visited Homerton there was a group of students doind dance in the hall too.

I don't have much experience of London unis unfortunately as I dismissed it as being too huge and busy

ReputationRep:
    Manchester is a great uni if you want to go outside of London...they have loads of legal opportunities open to you whilst you study there, and its a great city. You can always set up a dancing soc if there isn't one, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bittersweet.xox)
    hi people!

i am so lost with universities atm! :woo:

-strong student union

my uni choices:
    -oxbridge
    -nottingham
    -UCL/LSE

What do you mean by strong Student Union. IMO Durham fulfills all your criteria but I'm not sure what you mean by strong SU....

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!
    unfortunately after a few haphazard attempts to get a thread up I somehow got 2 of the same one up.... im new lol. it would be great if we move the convo to the other thread please?
    oh right and strong student union i guess im just going on about the school spirit thing again... sorry if that was unclear.

oxford and durham arent campus unis? o_0
    new to me! lol.
    oh and yeah about the dance i just thought it was more classical ballet kind of dance. theres no street dance or anything like that?

ReputationRep:
    We have street dance over here, it's probably more likely to be that than ballet in universities to be honest.

ReputationRep:
    hey im from hong kong and i just finished my first year in notts!

ReputationRep:
    you wont be eligible for churchill college at cambridge, 41+ on IB is required.. 42 prefferably..

virtually all students hold minimum 9 A*'s
    under 5 A*'s would not be considered
    2 A*'d a A's at A level, i know your not doing them, just giving you and idea of how hard it ccan be to get in to some oxbridge colleges..
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Warwick seems to meet most of your criteria. It's a campus university, it has (I think) the biggest student's union in Europe and it's Law faculty has an excellent reputation amongst the leading employers (MC firms and top chamber sets, etc). There are loads of societies here which centre around dancing/music/theatre and we've got the Arts Centre on campus which is one of the biggest arts venues in the UK. There is a pretty high population of Hong Kong and other international students but you will get that at all of the top universities.

ReputationRep:
    hey! lol. how did you find it? i heard theres a really tight Chinese society there. im chinese btw. i hope theres not too much segregation?
    if you dont mind me asking, was it difficult to get in?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkyng1)
    Big whoop.

OP, my opinion is this:

1. Oxbridge
    2. UCL/LSE
    3. Warwick
    4. Manchester
    5. Queen Mary

ReputationRep:
    oxford and durham arent campus unis?
    Nope, they are spread across the city. It's just that all three (Durham in particular) are small cities so it still remains fairly self-contained and, dare I say, a bit of a bubble. Whether this is a good or bad thing really depends on what you're looking for and it seems like it's what you want. There's also the collegiate structure which, although still different to a campus, still helps to create a personal touch. Added pastoral and personal support and often easier to settle in. Of course this is down to the individual.

Durham, as a university, is actually moving out of the city centre and has been these past few years. The "new" colleges (mid 20th century onwards) have always been located on "the hill" (just one of three main hills in Durham) to the west of the city centre. It's only a five to fifteen minute walk. The older "Bailey" colleges and the arts/social sciences are largely in the city centre. The law department being in the city centre on the historic Bailey, around Palace Green and the cathedral. However, the plan is to move the law department outside the city (near the hill colleges, main library, science site and recently moved departments). Palace Green library, again by the cathedral, is used mainly by the law and music departments. However, this is being closed down also and transferred to the main library on the science site (outside the site).

So what I'm basically saying is that in a few years time there won't be anything in the city centre except a handful of arts departments and colleges around the Bailey plus the Elvet Riverside lecture complex. The newer colleges, social science departments (including law), administration buildings, new lecture buildings will all be just outside the city centre and form a "campus" of sorts, with a gateway. Sorry, I'm describing this very poorly :p: All in all, it doesn't matter, it's such a small city it doesn't take long to walk anywhere.

Right, well, after confusing things, allof the universities you've listed have very reputable law faculties indeed. Oxford, Durham, London, Bristol and Nottingham being easily amongst the strongest in the country. Manchester doesn't fall short of these by any particularly significant measure. It's still a strong redbrick, large and well targeted.

You should find cheerleading teams and most, if not all, of those universities. College and university sport is particularly strong at Durham and they do have the "Durham Divas"

http://www.teamdurham.com/university.../cheerleading/

Unfortunately their own personal website doesn't seem to work but if you want to know more about it then it may be worth sending the captain an email. I'm sure she'll give you some information if she has the time.

I'm about to merge the threads

ReputationRep:
    i like the campus and a bit of grass and trees

:laugh: Couldn't resist! Sorry! But the wooded riverbanks of Durham are lovely.

ReputationRep:
    nottingham will be a good choice for grass and trees!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jkyng1)

hey! lol. how did you find it? i heard theres a really tight Chinese society there. im chinese btw. i hope theres not too much segregation?
    if you dont mind me asking, was it difficult to get in?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.