Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi!
    I'm doing my Geography IB HL coursework on beaches and coasts at the moment and since both my hypotheses were proven incorrect by my data im a bit stuck at the analysis bit trying to prove why.... could someone be so kind as to help me out? just send me a personal message if you're willing!

my 2 hypotheses are:

1)There is a positive correlation between gradient of the beach and particle size
    2)There is a negative correlation between the distance to the headland and the size of the particles

just ask if you need more info.

oh and also to measure sediment size i used a vernier calliper... what could i use in place of this?

oh and does anyone know what this grid square thing is called... i rmb using it when i was younger for biology for outdoor fieldwork, like you put it down on the ground and it has 4 sections and you could the number of whatever youre investigating to find what is the average number for that site or something....

any help will be greatly appreciated!!
    thanks

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing it wasn't a sandy beach if you used a vernier caliper? But you could use sand sieving instead and find the mass of a number of particles. I can provide the example from my coursework later.

That grid is knwon as a quadrat, well at my school/6th form it was.

Pm me the types of data you collected and I can have a thnk about it for you. I will check what I wrote in mine too.

Oh and I did coasts coursework for A2 level geography, not the same but similar.

ReputationRep:
    itll probably sound a bit patronising but did you make sure you did all of your measurements away from coastal defences and groines etc?

2nd the underlying rocks can have a greater effect than sediment coarseness

for example, where i live the beaches show little correlation between angle and coarseness due to:

underlying cretaceous platforms
    groines
    sea defences
    ww2 beach defences

and so on

University open days

1. University of Bradford
    University-wide Postgraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  2. University of Buckingham
    Psychology Taster Tutorial Undergraduate
    Wed, 25 Jul '18
  3. Bournemouth University
    Clearing Campus Visit Undergraduate
    Wed, 1 Aug '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.