The Student Room Group
Reply 1
There is no age limit. Anyone with appropriate qualifications can apply.
Reply 2
Ideas? Aren't they positively discouraged?
Reply 3
No, there aren't any age limit. You'll need at least a bachelor's degree. Regrading ideas, you and your supervisor will select it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Wolfram

Wolfram received his Ph.D. in particle physics from the California Institute of Technology at age 20 and joined the faculty there.
Reply 5
Well there you go then if you dont finish by the time you're 20 you aren't worthy ... curses
Reply 6
There's a 70 year old guy doing an undergrad at my uni. He goes clubbing in the SU and everything.

So I'd probably say not. Although I'm not sure how useful a Undergrad or postgrad degree would be to you at that age. So I urge you to do it younger.
myriadofatoms
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stephen_Wolfram

Wolfram received his Ph.D. in particle physics from the California Institute of Technology at age 20 and joined the faculty there.

brilliant example, yes he's representative of us isnt he

:rolleyes:
Reply 8
No age limit, but a height limit. No people under 5' 3'' need apply for PhDs, and the taller you are the greater your chances of gaining a place at a reputable university.
hobnob
No age limit, but a height limit. No people under 5' 3'' need apply for PhDs, and the taller you are the greater your chances of gaining a place at a reputable university.

a mod spam? warning points? :O nah i didn't think so

There's no limit to age but a limit to qualifications needed
Reply 10
hobnob

Yes! *victory dance*

abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Atually, in a very technical sense, I don't think there are any specific qualification requirements. Oxford, for example, claims that

"[t]he one essential condition of being accepted for a graduate course ... is evidence of previous academic excellence, and of future potential."

And there have been cases with which I'm familiar in which people have been able to get on various graduate programmes (MA, PhD) with career experience standing in stead of the usual academic qualifications. Admittedly rare, but still ... it's worth remembering these things work on a case-by-case basis.
Reply 11
a mod spam? warning points? :O nah i didn't think so

... because it's so much less spammy just to repeat something which has already been said by three other posters, right?:rolleyes:

My point was that the idea of an age limit for PhD applicants is completely ludicrous - just as ludicrous, in fact, as a height limit.
You can't but an age cap on learning can you so therefore there is no way they could say to anyone of X years that they are not eligible for study... Especially after to advent of ageism &c.
hobnob
... because it's so much less spammy just to repeat something which has already been said by three other posters, right?:rolleyes:

My point was that the idea of an age limit for PhD applicants is completely ludicrous - just as ludicrous, in fact, as a height limit.

First point - yes but knowing mods i'd have been given a warning for spam if i didn't put in anything useful no?

second point - if anybody else did that they'd get a warning point. Double standards yay :rolleyes:
Reply 14
You wanna do a PhD with such poor grammar? :p:
Reply 15
BruceTaylor
You wanna do a PhD with such poor grammar? :p:

You are aware of how absolutely awful scientists are with spelling and grammar, right?
Reply 16
First point - yes but knowing mods i'd have been given a warning for spam if i didn't put in anything useful no?

second point - if anybody else did that they'd get a warning point. Double standards yay :rolleyes:

I don't recall ever having warned you for spam (or anything else, for that matter), so please don't talk to me about "knowing mods". Just for the record, though: I'd have no problem with mods being able to get warns for spam or whatever just like everybody else; it's not my fault that due to the way the usergroup has been set up it's actually impossible to warn them. If you have a specific complaint or suggestion to make, please take it to the appropriate place - but this isn't it.
There's no limit.

You'll need to meet the minimum criteria of course (qualifications etc)
hobnob

Warned.

Latest

Trending

Trending