Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Further Maths - what modules do I have to take and when?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I haven't got a teacher to ask so need some help on what to do with my Further Maths A Level. Before now I never intended to study it beyond AS Level (which I've already taken with the modules being FP1, M1 and M2) but now need to take the A2. I've studied the Edexcel 2004 specification for these modules which I think has ended this year, so I will only be able to do the A2 papers next January. Is this right, or would I be able to do some papers in June? Also, do I have to study another Further Pure module at A2 or can I just take applied modules?

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    You need to do three or more FP modules, core 1 - 4, and the rest applied, I think.
    I'm doing FP1-4, C1-4, M1-2, S1-2

ReputationRep:
    It's all detailed in the specification below. You have to get FP2 or FP3 plus another 2 units not used for your regular maths A level or FP2 and FP3 plus 1 other unit. This Edexcel spec doesn't have an FP4.

http://www.edexcel.com/migrationdocu...cification.pdf

January is the only guaranteed window for old spec exams to be available and that's IF you can find anywhere to let you take them.
    • PS Helper

PS Helper
    (Original post by maxfire)
    You need to do three or more FP modules, core 1 - 4, and the rest applied, I think.
    I'm doing FP1-4, C1-4, M1-2, S1-2
    That looks like AQA to me; I don't think Edexcel has an FP4. On OCR you only need to do FP1 + either FP2 or FP3, and I assume it's the same (or similar) on Edexcel.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help! My school will let me take them so I just need to pick which modules I want to do. I think I'll take D1 and D2for the applied modules but which of FP2 and Fp3 will be the easiest module to choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nuodai)
    That looks like AQA to me; I don't think Edexcel has an FP4. On OCR you only need to do FP1 + either FP2 or FP3, and I assume it's the same (or similar) on Edexcel.
    oh i see.
    Yeah, AQA, I was wondering why some people I know weren't doing FP4. lol

If you have done the old FP1 module, you may encounter some problems, as the old FP2 and FP3 are no longer available (I sat the last ones in June). You may have to do the new FP1 instead.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tommm)
    If you have done the old FP1 module, you may encounter some problems, as the old FP2 and FP3 are no longer available (I sat the last ones in June). You may have to do the new FP1 instead.
    According to the latest timetable at
    http://www.modernisationonline.org.u...le/search.aspx

...old spec FP1-3 are available in January (Exam code 6674, 6675, 6676)

(Original post by gdunne42)
    According to the latest timetable at
    http://www.modernisationonline.org.u...le/search.aspx

...old spec FP1-3 are available in January (Exam code 6674, 6675, 6676)
    Ah, I wasn't aware of that.

ReputationRep:
    Well for Edexcel, if you did the FP1 in the academic year beginning in Sept 08, then you have to do: (for A2)

-FP2 AND
    EITHER - FP3 & 1 application unit
    OR - 2 application Units

AQA is the only board with 4 Further Pure Maths Units (I'm not sure about other boards, Sorry!)

In my school it is compulsary for Further Math A level Students to do FP2 and FP3, because the teachers think that they are really important for strong bases in Math. Good Luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.