Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kickboxing vs Thai Boxing; AND best way to measure weight loss Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi all

Right so I was planning on beginning Kick Boxing around a month ago, in what was supposed to be a women's only class, only to turn up and find alot of bulky middle age men there- hot, but I was definately not starting like that! :eek:

I recently found out my gym offers a Kickboxing class as well, for £20 a session which I am quite keen on, but I've also found out there is a Thai boxing class beginning in my area. When I posted on here about beginning kick boxing, I remembered a few people said Thai Boxing was much more challenging, which I like the sound of right now, so could anyone give me any advice on the matter; like what are the differences between them?

And also, I want to start toning up/lossing a little weight for the summer and improving my fitness, which is the main reason for joining the club, but I know that just weighing yourself is sometimes inaccurate due to the fact that when muscle is gained it weighs more than fat. Can anyone suggest a good way of measuring my weight loss/fat loss/slimming down? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Are you joking? £20 per session? What a rip. A north west club I go to charges £4 a session, and have some of the best instructors I've come across. I wouldn't focus too much on measuring your weight loss - it will start to look obvious when you really begin to tone up. If anything, the most accurate thing would be body fat %.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *Star*Guitar*)
    Are you joking? £20 per session? What a rip. A north west club I go to charges £4 a session, and have some of the best instructors I've come across. I wouldn't focus too much on measuring your weight loss - it will start to look obvious when you really begin to tone up. If anything, the most accurate thing would be body fat %.
    Yer, the orginal place I was going to was only £5 per session. Which do you do, kick boxing? And how'd you measure body fat %? I just wanna know if I'm losing weight to keep me motivated tbh, but I'll probably forget to measure it lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    Yer, the orginal place I was going to was only £5 per session. Which do you do, kick boxing? And how'd you measure body fat %? I just wanna know if I'm losing weight to keep me motivated tbh, but I'll probably forget to measure it lol.
    Its kickboxing, yeah. I can't comment on others, but its a great mix of cardio and toning. There's some special equipment that measures body fat %, apparently the machines like the ones in Boots are not very accurate, but those who use this measurement are people who are training very hard to be weightlifters/fighters, so you won't need to focus on it so much.

ReputationRep:
    yep, thats unbeleivably expensive, like ridiculous, you should be looking at a small-ish membership fee and a few quid a lesson (i'd say 3-6 is reasonable, anything above 7 would be a total no-go for me). Try and barter a bit if you can, maybe 5 for 4 classes if you pay upfront or something.

Thai involves kicks, elbows, knees and boxing. kickboxing involves kicking (above the waist) and boxing only. In terms of atmosphere kickboxing (depending on the gym, obviously) CAN be more female friendly, more middle-class friendly and more 'im here for fitness only and i dont like the idea of getting hit' friendly. There are thai gyms that cater to that demographic as well, especially as theres so much money in it, but as a rule the classes are harder, and more geared towards thai as a sport and competing. I did thai for about 4 years, trained and fought for a few gyms and this was always my experience.

You'll get fit doing either if you keep it up, so it depends what else your looking for. you'll probably be one of a few girls in a thai class, whereas you might find kickboxing has more girls than boys. You'll be able to spar and compete in either if you wanted to, but obviously with kick you have the semi-contact competition option, as opposed to thai where its all guns blazing no matter what.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ophqui)
    yep, thats unbeleivably expensive, like ridiculous, you should be looking at a small-ish membership fee and a few quid a lesson (i'd say 3-6 is reasonable, anything above 7 would be a total no-go for me). Try and barter a bit if you can, maybe 5 for 4 classes if you pay upfront or something.

Thai involves kicks, elbows, knees and boxing. kickboxing involves kicking (above the waist) and boxing only. In terms of atmosphere kickboxing (depending on the gym, obviously) CAN be more female friendly, more middle-class friendly and more 'im here for fitness only and i dont like the idea of getting hit' friendly. There are thai gyms that cater to that demographic as well, especially as theres so much money in it, but as a rule the classes are harder, and more geared towards thai as a sport and competing. I did thai for about 4 years, trained and fought for a few gyms and this was always my experience.

You'll get fit doing either if you keep it up, so it depends what else your looking for. you'll probably be one of a few girls in a thai class, whereas you might find kickboxing has more girls than boys. You'll be able to spar and compete in either if you wanted to, but obviously with kick you have the semi-contact competition option, as opposed to thai where its all guns blazing no matter what.
    Thanks for the input. I really need to boost my confidence, so I think a tough sport will allow me to do that and I really want one that really needs dedication to keep up, because I know I find motivation in challenges. And I also want the option of compertition if I get to that standard.

I am 5'7 and 57kg, do you think this is okay to begin? I really want to build up my stamina before I begin as well if you have any advice for that? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    £20?

TWENTY POUNDS?

Dear Lord, that's a ridiculous price. Please don't wase that amount of money on classes - you will be able to find perfectly good classes that will give you the exact same training and exercise for far, far less.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GazzyG)
    £20?

TWENTY POUNDS?

Dear Lord, that's a ridiculous price. Please don't wase that amount of money on classes - you will be able to find perfectly good classes that will give you the exact same training and exercise for far, far less.
    I know it's ridiculas, especially considering I am a member of the gym... that's why I'm hoping to join this other class , but yet to hear how much that'll be. But bit scary, if it's tougher than Kick Boxing. And over here there isn't much in the way of those kind of classes so I guess they can get away with those prices.

ReputationRep:
    You sure it isnt 20 quid a month.

Anyway google the instructors of both clubs and see which one has more credentials.

ReputationRep:
    Thai boxing is far better in terms of fitness, is a lot more fun, and more effective if you ever actually fight someone.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lnjames)
    Thai boxing is far better in terms of fitness, is a lot more fun, and more effective if you ever actually fight someone.
    ...but has a much steeper learning curve making it less beginner friendly.

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to say Thai boxing as that is what I do but I would say either are great for gaining better fitness.

If you aren't very good at kicking high then start with Thai boxing as at least you can kick below the waist :p:

but one good thing about Thai boxing compared to kickboxing is that when get into a clinch rather than it just being defensive like kickboxing you can be offensive, i.e knee to the mid section/head.

Using elbows is also fun

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the input. I really need to boost my confidence, so I think a tough sport will allow me to do that and I really want one that really needs dedication to keep up, because I know I find motivation in challenges. And I also want the option of compertition if I get to that standard.

I am 5'7 and 57kg, do you think this is okay to begin? I really want to build up my stamina before I begin as well if you have any advice for that? Thanks!

Thats more than ok weight wise, you'd drop a little to compete and you'd be flying. I used to compete at 55 and im only 5 foot 4.

Stamina wise. . .dont worry about it. Get to the gym asap, get your basic technique down and get a bit of a feel for the sport, then you can worry about running and things like that.

Learn to skip if you cant already, some people find it quite embarressing to walk into a gym and see a load of guys skipping like pros and your there in the corner falling over your feet :p:

Also where are you OP? i've been around thai for a long old time, i could probably tell you the best gym in your area if your interested in competing. . .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ophqui)
    Thats more than ok weight wise, you'd drop a little to compete and you'd be flying. I used to compete at 55 and im only 5 foot 4.

Stamina wise. . .dont worry about it. Get to the gym asap, get your basic technique down and get a bit of a feel for the sport, then you can worry about running and things like that.

Learn to skip if you cant already, some people find it quite embarressing to walk into a gym and see a load of guys skipping like pros and your there in the corner falling over your feet :p:

Also where are you OP? i've been around thai for a long old time, i could probably tell you the best gym in your area if your interested in competing. . .
    Oright, thanks, what are the wieght boundaries when it comes to competing?

Yer, definately planning to do so this week, do you have any good things to do to build up muscle/stamina- weights etc?

I'm in the Isle of Man, as far as I know this the first club that is for Thai Boxing and it's just starting up, other than that I've only heard of a few for kick boxing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foster)
    I'm going to say Thai boxing as that is what I do but I would say either are great for gaining better fitness.

If you aren't very good at kicking high then start with Thai boxing as at least you can kick below the waist :p:

but one good thing about Thai boxing compared to kickboxing is that when get into a clinch rather than it just being defensive like kickboxing you can be offensive, i.e knee to the mid section/head.

Using elbows is also fun
    That was one of my worries with starting kickboxing, I have tight tendons/muscles which prevent me kicking about waist level which my have been against me lol! So yer, Thai boxing did have that advantage. How long have you been doing it?

ReputationRep:
    That was one of my worries with starting kickboxing, I have tight tendons/muscles which prevent me kicking about waist level which my have been against me lol! So yer, Thai boxing did have that advantage. How long have you been doing it?
    I started last October so haven't been doing it to long. I do it twice a week (well I have stopped for the summer as I am back home from uni) and go to the gym in between and my fitness levels are much, much better. Before I started I didn't do any kinda of sport apart from Mountain biking. If you get instructors like mine then they will help you no matter what your fitness level is. I'm part of the uni team and it only started last year and we had a range of people join and everybody loves it

The first couple of training sessions will leave you feeling rather dead but after that it makes you feel great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Foster)
    I started last October so haven't been doing it to long. I do it twice a week (well I have stopped for the summer as I am back home from uni) and go to the gym in between and my fitness levels are much, much better. Before I started I didn't do any kinda of sport apart from Mountain biking. If you get instructors like mine then they will help you no matter what your fitness level is. I'm part of the uni team and it only started last year and we had a range of people join and everybody loves it

The first couple of training sessions will leave you feeling rather dead but after that it makes you feel great
    Oright, thanks! What do you think I can expect from my first session if I'm a complete beginner?

ReputationRep:
    That is a rip off, I pay £30 a month and can do absolutely any class I want :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Oright, thanks! What do you think I can expect from my first session if I'm a complete beginner?
    Well you will start off with a normal warm up/shadow boxing and then stretching. After that then I suppose it depends on the trainers but it would be typically followed by going into a pair or a group of three and just doing pad work. The trainers will give you certain moves to do and they will go through with you technique so don't worry about doing it wrong. Also the people your with will either be new as well and your group will get more help or you will be with someone who has done it before to help you through (they may also go easy on you because your new :p: )

and then you will finish with a warm down and stretching. Our warm downs are quite fun and involve being in pairs/splitting the class up and doing challenges against each other. I'm guessing other place do this to.

The trainers shouldn't push you to do anything you don't want to do (for example people join for a pure fitness point of view and don't actually want to fight). It definitely builds your confidence up in the way you look/feel and also the fact that you can defend your self.

I think that's it, hope it helps

ReputationRep:
    One of the best workouts you've ever had! :yes:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.