Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Kickboxing vs Thai Boxing; AND best way to measure weight loss Watch

ReputationRep:
    If you're looking for Muay Thai/Kickboxing classes on the Isle of Man, it might be worth getting in touch with Black Dog MMA in Douglas.
    While MMA might not be for you: It's a predominantly male sport, if there's any classes on the island that cover kickboxing or muay thai, they'll know about them.
    I see on their site that private tuition is available as well, if you're looking to compete at all that could be worth looking into.
    Best of luck anyway though, I do both Muay Thai and Kickboxing as part of my MMA training and both are great workouts, you'll destroy any fat doing it properly!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plainnash)
    If you're looking for Muay Thai/Kickboxing classes on the Isle of Man, it might be worth getting in touch with Black Dog MMA in Douglas.
    While MMA might not be for you: It's a predominantly male sport, if there's any classes on the island that cover kickboxing or muay thai, they'll know about them.
    I see on their site that private tuition is available as well, if you're looking to compete at all that could be worth looking into.
    Best of luck anyway though, I do both Muay Thai and Kickboxing as part of my MMA training and both are great workouts, you'll destroy any fat doing it properly!
    Hi again,

I did leave a message on their forum, thanks for the advice. First look at the site gave me the idea it was male only, rather than male dominated, and they confirmed that in the reply. But, they did say I was welcome, so I'm thinking of going along to check it out.

What's it like, MMA? I mean, kick boxing and thai boxing is kind of obvious, but is this like everything rolled into one?

thanks!

ReputationRep:
    You should definitely go and check it out for the stand-up sections, that'll be fine even though it's all male. Stand-up is the part of MMA before the fight gets taken to the floor and more submissions come in, so it's mainly kicks, punches, knees and some elbows. Good fun.

MMA is basically a combination of loads of different martial arts. When the fight starts you've got Muay Thai, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, a bit of judo and so on. When the fight goes to the floor, stuff like Brazilian jiu jitsu comes in, more submission holds and chokes. It sounds intense, and tbh it is, but it's a great workout and really let's you gain confidence.

I wouldn't worry so much about the all-male thing; if they've invited you along that's great and just remember you don't have to take part in all of the exercises if you don't feel comfortable with them. It can get quite close on some occassions.
    It's not gay if you don't look them in the eye...
    If you really get into it, bring a female friend along so you can do the holds while feeling more comfortable.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by plainnash)
    You should definitely go and check it out for the stand-up sections, that'll be fine even though it's all male. Stand-up is the part of MMA before the fight gets taken to the floor and more submissions come in, so it's mainly kicks, punches, knees and some elbows. Good fun.

MMA is basically a combination of loads of different martial arts. When the fight starts you've got Muay Thai, boxing, kickboxing, wrestling, a bit of judo and so on. When the fight goes to the floor, stuff like Brazilian jiu jitsu comes in, more submission holds and chokes. It sounds intense, and tbh it is, but it's a great workout and really let's you gain confidence.

I wouldn't worry so much about the all-male thing; if they've invited you along that's great and just remember you don't have to take part in all of the exercises if you don't feel comfortable with them. It can get quite close on some occassions.
    It's not gay if you don't look them in the eye...
    If you really get into it, bring a female friend along so you can do the holds while feeling more comfortable.

Hope that helps.
    Yer thanks, they did advise I bring a friend along and my mate is quite eager- however she does have kick boxing experience whereas I have nothing :redface: It's going to be fun!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by manx1991)
    That was one of my worries with starting kickboxing, I have tight tendons/muscles which prevent me kicking about waist level which my have been against me lol! So yer, Thai boxing did have that advantage. How long have you been doing it?
    With the right kind of regime, stretching everyday, you can easily improve your flexibility. Check out Stretching Scientifically by Thomas Kurz, it outlines everything you need to know to increase your flexibility.

I'd say go for the thai boxing, the kickboxing is overpriced,and the thai boxing may be intimidating at first but you'll soon get used to it. Plus as someone already said, it's more practical than kickboxing in a real life situation.

ReputationRep:
    I definitely agree with Saab about stretching; when I first started MMA, sitting down I couldn't even lift my leg anyway near my face. I've been stretching properly for about three months now and I can now get my leg behind my head.
    And this is coming from a fairly heavily built guy, anything's possible when you stretch regularly.

I'd go with the Muay Thai as well, purely because you've got more options; knees and elbows come in so they could be handy while you're working on your flexibility.
    Best of luck for either though, let us know how it goes.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.