Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta
    • Thread Starter


    I was taking a National Diploma for Electrical/Electronic Engineering at my college.

    That course also had an added AS Level Maths (Use of Mathematics).

    When I got my predicted grades I got DDM and a B in AS Maths.

    Thats about (370 UCAS Points)

    So, after applying to University of Southampton (Electronic Engineering with Nanotechnology) they offered me a Foundation year and then a Masters in Electronic engineering after the foundation year.

    Now that I called up my college to ask what I might get in August they said it will most probably be DDD (and I am thinking about getting an A in AS maths)

    This is around 410-420 UCAS points.

    This means IF I want I could probably take the Masters Directly without
    the foundation course. But as you all know BTEC is not the best qualification to get before university and maybe since I am not taking Full A-level maths I might struggle a LOT.

    The question is, what is better?

    Take the Foundation year and then the masters?

    or take the Masters full on? (remember everyone starts of with Bachelor, but can then go all the way to masters...)

    This is very important so hope you guys help me out, thanks!
    • Community Assistant

    Community Assistant
    Have you contacted Southampton? Would they actually permit this? I ask this because you're taking AS-Level Use of Maths, not AS-Level Maths.
    • Thread Starter

    I have asked them before, the guy said that if I get a DDD then it should be fine, even if I get like a B in my AS use of maths
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course


Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.