Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Ouch what a horrible way to die. And it must have been horrific for the person that found the body in the engine room.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xsabax)
    tbh i think it was a tragedy but it was the guys own fault, what did he think was down there? some kinda underwater amusement world?
    But to be fair how many people if they thought they could just open the grill and lift the googles out would? Surely if there was any danger there would be a sign or it would be locked? The boy probably had no idea of the dangers.

ReputationRep:
    There must be more to the story ... In the video clip it took 3 guys to lift the grill. How did 1 14 year old boy do it on his own?!?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr-Dangerous)
    i aint going to Thailand now.
    Why?!? Out of protest?

Or because now you know that "swimming pool grill lifting" hobby that you hage may be your downfall?

ReputationRep:
    Just saw on News 24 that the death is being treated as suspicious. Police are grilling the parents.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BrightGirl)
    Ouch what a horrible way to die. And it must have been horrific for the person that found the body in the engine room.
    This is what I thought.

ReputationRep:
    How does one die by being sucked into a pool pump? What would actually kill you and affect your body? Sorry to be morbid!

ReputationRep:
    The staff apparently wouldn't even take it seriously.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick_000)
    The staff apparently wouldn't even take it seriously.
    But would you believe it if you were told "someone has been sucked into the pump?" if you were used to idiots saying that sort of thing all the time?

I think its quite a funny story - if he hadn't have died :p:

ReputationRep:
    how sad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    But to be fair how many people if they thought they could just open the grill and lift the googles out would? Surely if there was any danger there would be a sign or it would be locked? The boy probably had no idea of the dangers.
    yeah but if i put myself in the situation i no for sure i wouldnt be lifting any grills, its common sense tbh. and if it was a pool pump then he wouldnt have been able to see the goggles in the first place so he obviously knew he'd have to swim down to get them.

ok im confused now, maybe someone tried to murder him by drowning him. who replaced the grill after he had swum under there? surely if he's swimming down there he's gonna have removed the grill so he could have got out of the hole after he got his goggles.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    How does one die by being sucked into a pool pump? What would actually kill you and affect your body? Sorry to be morbid!
    I haven't watched the video prior to posting here, just watched. To be honest it seems it has just sucked him in and he drowned due to the lack of oxygen and - possibly - inability to get out of there because of the sucking force that has been pulling him downwards/inside the piping system.

ReputationRep:
    That was one of my fears as a child. Poor kid.

ReputationRep:
    Have you read the father got fined for disorderly conduct as he swung out at people taking pictures of his dead son's body when it was recovered?

(I read that in The Sun though but ithers have reported it too)

ReputationRep:
    Submerged structures in swimming pools, particularly things like grills, have freaked me out quite a bit in the past. If I'm walking along the bottom of the pool and accidentally tread on a grill it gives me the shivers. Sort of afraid of the unknown...what's down there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    He had his goggles down there. Probably had no idea about the force that lurks behind the grille
    He would have felt the force of the pump through the grille before he opened it. If the grille didn't let the pressure of the pump pass through, it's pointless having it.

There may well have been another grille down the line to stop crap that gets past the main grille (due to idiots lifting it up) getting into the (probably quite expensive) pump and damaging it. Also I doubt the pipes leading into the pump itself would be big enough to let a person through, otherwise it's a *very* big pump. So rather than some gruesome scene involving him being mashed up by an impeller, he probably just drowned after getting stuck further down the system.

Still pretty nasty though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psychocustard)
    I'm sorry, but seriously... Why would you mess with something that you don't understand how it works? It's a really sad thing to happen and everything, but I thought the basic rule was that you don't touch if you don't know what it'll do.
    Because he's (well was) a child. Unless you have parents like mine that put the fear of God into you about things like this, tell you never to swim past filters and vents and regale you with hundred of stories about people getting their hair caught and drowning, in the heat of the moment he probably didn't think.

Getting his goggles back so he could play > Uncertainty.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, his own fault.

ReputationRep:
    video of the grill

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/8147032.stm

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.