Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    Why?!? Out of protest?

Or because now you know that "swimming pool grill lifting" hobby that you hage may be your downfall?
    Thats the one. :woo:

ReputationRep:
    That really does suck. Must of been painful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IGX_RSV2)
    Meh, his own fault.
    You're precisely the reason why humanity has so many problems.

ReputationRep:
    As sad a story as this is, what the crap was going through the kid's mind when he did that? I used to go to a water park in my town when I was a little kid and the "river" had grates kind of like that, and they used to suck pretty hard (in the literal sense). They actually scared me a bit. I can't imagine anyone wanting to actually remove the grate on that after feeling how much pressure those things make.

(Original post by Diamond Diva)
    How does one die by being sucked into a pool pump? What would actually kill you and affect your body? Sorry to be morbid!
    I'd imagine he drowned.

ReputationRep:
    That's actually horrendous. Incidently, it reminds me of The Final Destination trailer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diamond Diva)
    You're precisely the reason why humanity has so many problems.
    How so?

ReputationRep:
    Hah everyone here assumes young teenagers have an absolute intricate understanding of pool pumping systems. This just in: they don't. He probably underestimated the suction of that thing (something I'd expect the majority of idiotic TSR members to do also).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hithereimdave)
    Hah everyone here assumes young teenagers have an absolute intricate understanding of pool pumping systems. This just in: they don't. He probably underestimated the suction of that thing (something I'd expect the majority of idiotic TSR members to do also).
    If a thing is sucking on you and has a metal grate keeping you out, you don't remove your only barrier. You don't have to be a university grad to know that. I mean, that was something I figured out when I was 7.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greghouse)
    There must be more to the story ... In the video clip it took 3 guys to lift the grill. How did 1 14 year old boy do it on his own?!?!
    I think he must have lifted up one side and been sucked in (grill coming down behind him), otherwise the staff wouldn't have to remove the grill as it would already be off

I can't imagine what his brother, who raised the alarm, had to go through - presumably he saw what happened

Terrifying incident - stuff of my nightmares, even now.

ReputationRep:
    ouch thats worse than the shark in the swimming pool fear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    I just kinda imagined how horrible it had to be - all of a sudden a giant force just grabs you by the whole and you're totally helpless traveling through a tube system just waiting for this to end, and then it's a sudden crush with a giant fan/propeller, few seconds of excruciating pain and an ultimate blackout :shock:

*shivers*
    Wow, thats some scary **** right there.

ReputationRep:
    yeah i read this on sky news active.

Heard the dad had to repeatedly plead to the staff to check the pump as they didnt believe him first time round.. and then they checked and his body rolled out.

so sad.

ReputationRep:
    If I remember rightly when you walk over those grilles you can feel the force of the water being sucked down anyway!? Why would you then lift it up to retrieve a pair of goggles. Feel incredibly sorry for his family it must have been pretty painful for the boy too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Darkness)
    I think he must have lifted up one side and been sucked in (grill coming down behind him), otherwise the staff wouldn't have to remove the grill as it would already be off
    That's a good point. There's no way he would have gotten out if the grill was back in place.
    I usually feel no sadness for death due to stupidity, but in this case I do. What an utterly horrible way to die, and that story about the father lashing out at people taking photos of the body is just heart wrenching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gracie88)
    If I remember rightly when you walk over those grilles you can feel the force of the water being sucked down anyway!? Why would you then lift it up to retrieve a pair of goggles. Feel incredibly sorry for his family it must have been pretty painful for the boy too.

what kind of a water park leaves such a dangerous vent unlocked

ReputationRep:
    Why... why put your hand down a sucking vent.... Bad times!! And that he came out in the engine room!! how horrific.....i still cant help but wonder if he did find his goggles in there!!? mmmm

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uktom91)
    what kind of a water park leaves such a dangerous vent unlocked

Also a good point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lady_Darkness)
    In which case he probably went in face-first...

ReputationRep:
    How awful, I suspect he had no idea about the force of the pull. Also I'm amazed they left the vent unlocked but it's Thailand so they probably don't have the same safety regulations as we do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dynamitri)
    I've been trying to google up some images, but all it comes up with are some ******** pictures of hotels and grill-parties, lol

Oh well, gotta take your word for granted, then - but still it looks really unusual to me. R.I.P. to the boy anyway
    If you follow the original link and watch the video at the bottom of the page it shows you the actual grill x

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.