Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Well for those students who are studying English language and literature at A level, i'd like you to share your experiences with me. I've chosen to study it at college but have been told numerous times that you have to do the work of 2 A levels and it can get really difficult. I really love English and am thinking about continuing it to degree level. However, I am quite worried because I have chosen all writing based subjects and the added pressure of English lang and lit might just push me over the edge :\

So what are your experiences of the subject? Do You think I should just choose either English language or English literature seperately?

Help please :'(

ReputationRep:
    what sort of English degree would you be looking at? If it was a combined degree, do both. They're iffy about letting people do both separately at my college, as apparently it "shuts doors." But, if you're wanting to do an degree in English, I suppose it would be fine.

Oh, and I do 4 essay based subjects, most people in my classes do

ReputationRep:
    I studied Lit and Lang and found it managable...I studied Lit in one year though so it got a bit difficult around the exam period

ReputationRep:
    I studied English Lit and English Language separately at 6th form and never regretted it - if you're sure you want to take a essay based, arts or humanities type subject then they are both good for that. And also they are very different in many ways. I found literature harder and a more rigourously academic subject than language.

ReputationRep:
    Well, I studied both English Literature and Language separately at Sixth Form and I can tell you from experience, the two subjects are both completely different and English Language does compliment English Literature (especially in the second year!) in terms of what you need to know for your exams. The two subjects bring different things to the table and I found both very enjoyable. (Note: I dropped English Language at AS).
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I would like to chuck in that if you want to do English (literature) at DEGREE LEVEL most unis want Lit on its own. I study both separately and although English language complements English literature well, especially when it comes to analysing stuff, I don't think it's hugely necessary unless you're interested in pursuing linguistics or something. :dontknow: The two subjects are very different in terms of the way they are structured and what you are required to do. Language is a lot more technical :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help guys!! I was actually talking about choosing one over the other, as in EITHER English Language OR Literature.

(Original post by emilyjane_09)
    what sort of English degree would you be looking at? If it was a combined degree, do both. They're iffy about letting people do both separately at my college, as apparently it "shuts doors." But, if you're wanting to do an degree in English, I suppose it would be fine.

Oh, and I do 4 essay based subjects, most people in my classes do
    I really have no idea what I want to do at uni, English is just one option for me, i'm still really confused lol! If I stuck with English lang and lit combined at A level would I still be able to persue a seperate English degree at Uni?

Sorry if I've just confused you! Thanks for the help xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InkFromMyPen)
    Thanks for all your help guys!! I was actually talking about choosing one over the other, as in EITHER English Language OR Literature.

I really have no idea what I want to do at uni, English is just one option for me, i'm still really confused lol! If I stuck with English lang and lit combined at A level would I still be able to persue a seperate English degree at Uni?

Sorry if I've just confused you! Thanks for the help xxx
    English literature is a requirement for English degrees. It seems to be generally more respected too. (although whether fairly is up for debate.) I'd do English lit, you could always pick up Language at A2. If you're not sure about doing an English degree, don't close doors. I wanted to do English/History for years, and completely changed my mind after studying for AS. I hope you get good books in English Lit next year too; completely changes your experience of it

ReputationRep:
    I'd say literature is the main part of English - if you're not sure, you should do lit.

Language is good for linguists or advertising.

ReputationRep:
    English Language is really not very respected by universities. English Literature is highly respected. A combination of the two is again not very respected so... if you can opt for just lit then do it.....now.

ReputationRep:
    I did English Language, to compliment my other A levels, which were languages.

Even though I was really good at it in GCSE, I didn't fancy literature, because it just seemed boring at A level. And I couldn't be bothered to read loads of books I wasn't interested in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    English literature is a requirement for English degrees. It seems to be generally more respected too. (although whether fairly is up for debate.) I'd do English lit, you could always pick up Language at A2. If you're not sure about doing an English degree, don't close doors. I wanted to do English/History for years, and completely changed my mind after studying for AS. I hope you get good books in English Lit next year too; completely changes your experience of it
    Yeah I see where you're coming from. So would studying English literature combined with English Language not be as good as studying English literature seperately. Does English Literature go into the study of literature in more depth than it would if it was studied alongside language? Its strange to hear that English lit is more valued as I always thought it would be language :O

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see where you're coming from. So would studying English literature combined with English Language not be the same as studying English literature seperately. Its strange to hear that English lit is more valued as I always thought it would be language :O
    From my experience, Language seems to be learning reels of terminology and identifying it. Literature...ahhh, well... :love:
    I'd do English literature, and 3 other essay based subjects. Or spice it up, and do a science alongside. Ultimately, it's your decision and I'm sure you'll do great whatever you take.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I see where you're coming from. So would studying English literature combined with English Language not be as good as studying English literature seperately. Does English Literature go into the study of literature in more depth than it would if it was studied alongside language? Its strange to hear that English lit is more valued as I always thought it would be language :O
    Do lit or, if you really want to do them both, do both subjects separately -- not the combined A-level. Literature is most respected and the combined one-A-Level-does-all is not very respected.

By the way, where are you studying? I'm just curious with you being in Manchester.

ReputationRep:
    I studied the combined one in one-year and found it manageable. I'd actually suggest that the combined one is better as it demonstates more skills than either of them on their own, but then again I'm probably biased!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Do lit or, if you really want to do them both, do both subjects separately -- not the combined A-level. That's most respected.

By the way, where are you studying? I'm just curious with you being in Manchester.
    Why 'not' the combined one? She can do the combined one and then free up space for 3 other AS levels, instead of two.

I think generally the requirement of English degrees is either English Liteature on its own or English Language & Literature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    Why 'not' the combined one? She can do the combined one and then free up space for 3 other AS levels, instead of two.
    Sure. It's just that it's not as respected by universities. Of course, many colleges don't mention this, which is why many people -- largely working-class -- end up with qualifications that may not take them as far as they may wish to go.

Of course, it depends on her aspirations though. If she's not likely to apply to a Russell group or similar university, it's unlikely to matter. English is a very popular course: for example, at my University of Manchester they ask for AAA and have many more applicants than places. If applying to such a university may even be a small possibility for her, it seems best to maximise her chances of success.

ReputationRep:
    I'm so confused :\ lol. But not because of you guys...you've been great (Y) Thanks alot

Do lit or, if you really want to do them both, do both subjects separately -- not the combined A-level. Literature is most respected and the combined one-A-Level-does-all is not very respected.

I'm actually going to Oldham 6th form. Near Manchester 8-) I just put Manchester because I doubted anyone would know where Oldham is 8-)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)

I think generally the requirement of English degrees is either English Liteature on its own or English Language & Literature.
    this is true. For some degrees (Warwick), evidence of "further reading" is required for those who have done combined.

ReputationRep:
    Sure. It's just that it's not as respected by universities. Of course, many colleges don't mention this, which is why many people -- largely working-class -- end up with qualifications that may not take them as far as they may wish to go.
    I edited my previous post before you replied. Universities generally require either English Literature on its own OR the combined one.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: July 14, 2009
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.