Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

English Language AND Literature at Alevel. Too hard? watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InkFromMyPen)
    I'm so confused :\ lol. But not because of you guys...you've been great (Y) Thanks alot

I'm actually going to Oldham 6th form. Near Manchester 8-) I just put Manchester because I doubted anyone would know where Oldham is 8-)
    off topic, but is your name from Landlocked Blues?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by simon12345)
    I edited my previous post before you replied. Universities generally require either English Literature on its own OR the combined one.
    Ditto myself. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilyjane_09)
    off topic, but is your name from Landlocked Blues?
    Lol. I don't think I have any idea what that is 8-) Its from some song which I can't remember, but for some reason I remember the lyrics. Lol

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jismith1989)
    Ditto myself. :rofl:
    That should say 'after you replied' - it's a good thing I'm not doing English at uni. :facepalm:

Personally I don't think that doing English Literature over the combined one will put an applicant in a significantly better position.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by InkFromMyPen)
    Lol. I don't think I have any idea what that is 8-) Its from some song which I can't remember, but for some reason I remember the lyrics. Lol
    It's the name of the song, by Bright Eyes. Good choice if it is :yep:

ReputationRep:
    The combination would be better as it only takes up one A-level. However you could study English Language separately or English Literature separately

ReputationRep:
    I did both and the workload was perfectly manageable.

If you have to choose, do Lit. Not only is it more fun but it's what I would call "proper" English. Language was too sciencey for me.

ReputationRep:
    I did both, and really enjoyed it. The essays were perfectly manageable, I did history and psychology for my other AS subjects, and never had a problem. If you like writing, then you'll be fine. You can use both subjects to compliment the other; in literature I could always get the AO3 marks with my technical language knowledge, and in language I could do my coursework on more literary texts, because I was interested in them (I did an analysis of the language change between feminist texts). You get a lot of people doing language because they think it's easy, and you'll get some who just go 'why didn't you do combined lol?', but it's easy enough to do it if you like words and a more technical approach to literature.
    It's really nonsense about being disadvantaged for uni. I got into all five choices, including Edinburgh (which is competitive), and if you're good at what you do, I doubt anyone will care.

Do it! Don't let anyone try to bully you into dropping language as an option, or instead doing combined.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.