Turn on thread page Beta

Psychology with CCC? watch

ReputationRep:
    If my predicted grades are CCC, do I have any chance of getting in to any decent Universities? (not top Uni's.)
    I'm applying for 2010.
    I've taken: law, art and psychology.
    I have literally no idea where to apply to and where I have a chance of getting in. I want to avoid London.

I've found Edinburgh Napier and Stirling with CCC entry requirements.

ReputationRep:
    Generally, the top 40 unis for Psych will ask for ABB. I don't think I've seen any unis worth mentioning that offer CCC. Psych is quite a competitive course these days.

Perhaps consider some resits?

ReputationRep:
    Aberdeen's BA course is CCC
    I think Bangor don't ask too much.
    I got BCC and cos I wanted the BSc had to go to UWE basically. But in the end, psychology degrees are accredited separately if you want to become a psychologist. Degrees accredited by the BPS are generally accepted as "good" psych. degrees.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pip_x)
    Aberdeen's BA course is CCC
    I think Bangor don't ask too much.
    I got BCC and cos I wanted the BSc had to go to UWE basically. But in the end, psychology degrees are accredited separately if you want to become a psychologist. Degrees accredited by the BPS are generally accepted as "good" psych. degrees.
    Just looking at your sig.. You are aware that a "Doctorate in Clinical Neuropsychology" doesn't actually exist in the UK, right? Unless you're talking a PhD in Neuropsych, perhaps.. Other than that, I think you're meaning a D.Clin.Psych followed by a MSc in Neuropsych.

Anyway, I think it's a little naive to think that all BPS accredited degrees are of equal quality. Just from hearing some of the descriptions of how stats are taught at some unis seriously suggests otherwise. Yes, it provides a minimum standard, but that does not mean some universities surpass that minimum while others just scrape by.

In all honesty, considering the competitiveness of Psych as a career (assuming OP is considering such), it's not worth going to a uni that only wants CCC. If OP wants a half-respected degree, they should do some resits and get into the top 30/40 atleast.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    If my predicted grades are CCC, do I have any chance of getting in to any decent Universities? (not top Uni's.)
    I'm applying for 2010.
    I have literally no idea where to apply to and where I have a chance of getting in. I want to avoid London.

Did you take another AS subject? Assuming you got a C in that, that's 280 points.

Wolverhampton, Worcester, Derby, Middlesex, Chester, Liverpool John Moores, UCLAN, Nottingham Trent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hazzypants)
    Did you take another AS subject? Assuming you got a C in that, that's 280 points.

Wolverhampton, Worcester, Derby, Middlesex, Chester, Liverpool John Moores, UCLAN, Nottingham Trent.
    No, I didnt because I took textiles then realised it was pointless and the work load was too much so dropped it after a few months and it was too late to take up another.

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for 2010.

If I remember correctly Aberdeen and Dundee aswell.

Hull ask for BBC but they generally say to apply anyway if you have a good PS and reference. I'd suggest taking up 1 or two AS levels to bulk up your UCAS points as a lot of unis such as Sheffield hallam ask for 300 points. So you could make up the points that way.

ReputationRep:
    http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...b=53&x=28&y=16

ReputationRep:
    That website helped me, i only got BCD and im going to do psychology in sept!

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you a) admit defeat and get a job b) resit some of your AS to bump up your predicted grade?

ReputationRep:
    No, I didnt because I took textiles then realised it was pointless and the work load was too much so dropped it after a few months and it was too late to take up another.
    OKay well if I were you, maybe try a few resits to get some of those grades to maybe CBB as this would give you more choice in uni.

Have you thought of taking up biology or english or sociology something next year?

That could get your points up, and Biology especially would be very useful for a psychology degree.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/tol_...ject=PSYCHOLOY

That lists all of the unis that do psych with average entry standards. With CCC that's 240 points. Towards the bottom you'll see quite a few you could apply to. I really would revise and do some resits as currently you have a slightly restricted choice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Why don't you a) admit defeat and get a job
    Wth?

I am resitting law and psychology but my predicted grades are going to stay the same.

ReputationRep:
    Wth?

I am resitting law and psychology but my predicted grades are going to stay the same.
    Then take a gap year and wait for your actual grades.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Then take a gap year and wait for your actual grades.
    I'm really trying to avoid a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    Wth?

If you're only managing to get a C now, how are you going to cope at A2, never mind doing a degree.

ReputationRep:
    Scotland is probably best because places like Aberdeen and that offer really low grades - I dunno why really, but mostly because Aber is sooo far north and no-one wants to go so they offer low grades even though it's a good Uni? And Scottish grade requirements tend to be a teeny bit lower anyway. Have you considered like the Lancaster Combined Science course? You can take Psych as part of it and it's only like BBC-BCC or something?

ReputationRep:
    I'm really trying to avoid a gap year.
    So you'd rather throw £20,000 down the drain?

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be a waste? It's up too me if I work hard enough and come out with a good grade, not the Uni.
    I dont want to waste a year by taking a gap year.

ReputationRep:
    its not really throwing money down the drain. Believe it or not even people with average grades can find uni an rewarding and worth while experience.

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be a waste? It's up too me if I work hard enough and come out with a good grade, not the Uni.
    I dont want to waste a year by taking a gap year.
    So why are you bothering to retake if you're just going to go to a CCC university? What's the point?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 21, 2010
Poll
Could you cope without Wifi?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.