Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    Travel and Tourism?

Now I think you're a real *******....
    She excelled in her subject, earning the highest marks, and going to the top university for that subject in the country... something you failed at (only Royal Holloway, eh?)

And she has a future plan, going to work on cruise ships when she's older, something she'll love..

And it should be I laughing at you... you going to apply for medicine?! You're taking Psychology, noobhead XD What? Biochemistry was too hard for you?

ReputationRep:
    There's nothing wrong with taking a Gap Year. You aren't wasting time as long as you are productive, and honestly there's no need to rush into the working world. It's pretty dire from what I've experienced - 40-50 hour weeks with less than a month paid holiday? Fun times.

Work hard for now. Apply to one university above your grade boundary BCC and have some back ups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emmie19)
    Now I think you're a real *******....
    She excelled in her subject, earning the highest marks, and going to the top university for that subject in the country... something you failed at (only Royal Holloway, eh?)

And she has a future plan, going to work on cruise ships when she's older, something she'll love..

And it should be I laughing at you... you going to apply for medicine?! You're taking Psychology, noobhead XD What? Biochemistry was too hard for you?
    She's going to work on a cruise ship? Wow, I didn't realise having a degree was so useful for waitressing.

I'm applying for graduate medicine because I realised how weak most of non-biologial Psychology is. Biochem is alright, considering I averaged a first in all my modules including Physiology and Disease, Human Biology and Biological Psych

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, what's all this fighting about.

1) OP, apply to universities that ask for your predicted grades but also apply for universities that ask for slightly higher grades. I know you're avoiding London, but just to give an example of a university lowering grade boundaries in clearing, Goldsmiths' College (University of London) lowered their grade requirements to BCC.

2)It's OK to work on a cruise ship if it makes you happy. Life isn't about chasing other people's dreams or approval.

3)2nd year Biochem can be hard: Enzyme Kinetics + me = FML

4)If a Psychology grad wants to try for Grad-Entry Medicine, that's as fine as any other goal. People change their aims and ambitions in life. I changed mine many times and I'm happy where I am now.

ReputationRep:
    Getting into a 'decent university' with CCC will be impossible, to be brutally honest.

ReputationRep:
    She's going to work on a cruise ship? Wow, I didn't realise having a degree was so useful for waitressing.

I'm applying for graduate medicine because I realised how weak most of non-biologial Psychology is. Biochem is alright, considering I averaged a first in all my modules including Physiology and Disease, Human Biology and Biological Psych
    So? Maybe being on a cruise ship is something that will bring her happiness ?

Medicine isn't the the superior subject, and it's certainly not something you should be get into the habit of bragging about either. You'll understand when you actually start getting on the wards, you might be intelligent, but being intelligent doesn't directly correlate with being a good clinician. So how about a little modesty ? Arrogance will only lead you into situations you'd rather avoid.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by insparato)
    So? Maybe being on a cruise ship is something that will bring her happiness ?

Medicine isn't the the superior subject, and it's certainly not something you should be get into the habit of bragging about either, you'll understand when you actually start getting on the wards, you might be intelligent, but being intelligent doesn't directly correlate with being a good clinician. So how about a little modesty ? Arrogance will only lead you into situations you'd rather avoid.
    Didn't say it was. What I was doing, however, was explaining in my defence how/why I want to go into medicine in response to emmie19. Wasn't arrogance, but a response to "not good enough to biochem" or whatever she said.

ReputationRep:
    My friend got accepted for Psychology with an E in psychology AS level. The Uni is St. Marys. That's all I have to say

ReputationRep:

Or could just want to be a doctor?

You can be a n00b sometimes, my Geography teacher worked on a cruise ship... pretty standard starting job tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    A friend of mine had a Psychology offer from Gloucestershire for CCC. He got BBC and took it. And needless to say, he's now doing a PGCE and is well on the way to becoming a teacher. This elitist crap naffs me off, massive time.
    You and me both. Thankfully, most people aren't like that in real life.

ReputationRep:
    So do I have a chance of getting in if I apply to 5 places that have CCC as entry requirements?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    My friend got accepted for Psychology with an E in psychology AS level. The Uni is St. Marys. That's all I have to say
    What other subjects did she do, and what grades did she get? Psychology at A level is very rarely a required subject if you want to apply to do a degree in it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    What other subjects did she do, and what grades did she get? Psychology at A level is very rarely a required subject if you want to apply to do a degree in it.
    Performance Studies (she got a D), Psychology (the E) and History (D again)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Missmeem)
    Performance Studies (she got a D), Psychology (the E) and History (D again)
    She'll have only got in from her UCAS point, afaik St. Mary's only want 160-200 points.

ReputationRep:
    Anyway you can not declare AS grades until resit results?
    I know I have messed up big time in my exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bikipip)
    Heads up, retakes are pointless if applying for competitive courses. Retakes I got AAB (chem, bio & maths) and many of the 'good' unis for psychology still rejected me - it was brought up in every interview I attended: 'Why did you have to do retakes?' 'Why didn't you get the grades first time round?' etc. Even though I had a valid excuse for my failure the first time round (medical reasons), I only got accepted into an 'average' uni in the end.

The only thing - to register as a psychologist with the BPS you need a 2.1 or above, so if you don't think you are capable of this then it may not be worth applying.
    Just out of interest, where did you apply? And where are you now?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meliae)
    Are you still intending to do a law conversion course at the end? If so, wouldn't that be wasting a year too? If you took a gap year, you could improve your grades and then go straight into a law degree. You could also use that year to save up some money ready for uni. If you're set on going straight to uni, fine, but I wouldn't dismiss the possibility of a gap year too quickly if I were you.

Bangor has a very good psych department but only ask for 300-260 points if you think you could manage that. Huddersfield ask for 280 for psychology, but they also do 'psychological studies' which isn't accredited for which they only ask for 160 points. If you're not intending to go into psychology, whether or not the course is accredited won't really matter to you, but if there's a possibility you might change your mind, go to the BPS website and check if they are.
    I dont think that I am going to convert to law anymore but I still dont know. I dont mind 'wasting' a year to do something useful like converting it, I just dont want to spend a year out getting a job. I do want to be able to go into psychology.

ReputationRep:
    Is it possible to wait for results, apply for 2010 entry, then if I dont get in anywhere I apply, go on a gap year to Brazil, and then apply with higher grades from resits for 2011 entry?

I am able to get my grades up quite a bit. Law probably to a B, psychlogy to an A maybe and art to a B.

ReputationRep:
    Loughborough, UCL, Sheffield, Leeds & Bath ... I think ... it was a while ago now :yes: They were all in the top 20 at the time.

I'd rather not say where I am now. It's a little above average in the league tables. I love the course and everything, just wish I had got into a better uni!
    ****. Stories like this worry me, AAB is good though! :bawling:

ReputationRep:
    It does sound a bit like you are trying to avoid work at all costs!
    As in a job? Or revision?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: August 21, 2010

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.