Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    With the amount of graduates in the field of Psychology, if you want to take your degree further in the field you really need to be at a decent uni - i.e one of the top 20, well established and BPS registered. If you don't, or aren't sure, go for a CCC uni if you think you'll enjoy the course and are willing to possibly waste the time (less grad. job prospects because of an abundance of similar graduates) then go for it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by co_co_vogue)
    Is it possible to wait for results, apply for 2010 entry, then if I dont get in anywhere I apply, go on a gap year to Brazil, and then apply with higher grades from resits for 2011 entry?

I am able to get my grades up quite a bit. Law probably to a B, psychlogy to an A maybe and art to a B.
    Yes, people (including me) have been suggesting this all along! Although you'd have to work out how you'd fit resits and revision in around trips to Brazil unless all your resits are AS modules during y13. There's also extra and clearing if you don't get in first time.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah they are all in January in year 13.

ReputationRep:
    Anyone know if theres a way to not delcare AS results until after resits?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    She's going to work on a cruise ship? Wow, I didn't realise having a degree was so useful for waitressing.

I'm applying for graduate medicine because I realised how weak most of non-biologial Psychology is. Biochem is alright, considering I averaged a first in all my modules including Physiology and Disease, Human Biology and Biological Psych

you really are a knob, insparato is right.

Op: Go somewhere you like, the world is your oyster now, go on open days, and find a uni you'll enjoy and feel comfortable at, thats the best way to a good education, its not where you go, it's what you do with what you're given :yes:
    CCC isn't bad grades at all, if you think you can achieve higher, maybe explain to your teachers you're retaking and ask to be predcted higher?

Good luck

ReputationRep:
    I find it funny when people say if you don't get great grades at A level you don't deserve to be at uni. A levels are a glorified memory test. As long as you work hard at uni you can still do well.

I have done a lot better at uni and enjoy it more because I'm given more freedom to think for myself and give my own view even in psychology.

If you're doing psychology maybe you should have a more open mind and be less judgemental
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by TwoDot)
    I find it funny when people say if you don't get great grades at A level you don't deserve to be at uni. A levels are a glorified memory test. As long as you work hard at uni you can still do well.
    Couldn't agree with this more, I would possibly add "ability for independent thought" to working hard, but that just further exemplifies the relative differences between A-levels and degree level.

If you realistically can get AAB once you've re-taken then I'd personally think that the difference between the quality of uni's you can get into is worth the extra year (and a gap year certainly helped me mature a lot before starting my undergrad).

That said, a complication which some of the people giving advice may not be aware of, is that from this year onwards uni's and admissions tutors can see whether you've had any re-sits and naturally this will count against you slightly. However, the benefits of going from CCC to AAB will far outweigh the detriment of having re-sits on your record. Just make sure you're applying to a range of uni's.

ReputationRep:
    Why would it be a waste? It's up too me if I work hard enough and come out with a good grade, not the Uni.
    I dont want to waste a year by taking a gap year.

Only problem being if you get a C at As, you're guna struggle come 2nd year. I got an A in As and A level, and i struggled 2nd year.

ReputationRep:
    chester, wales (glamorgan, bangor, aberystwth), bristol (uwe), nottingham trent and sheffeild hallam.
    that's what im looking at. i usually get D's, C's and B's. but who knows! hope thats helped.

ReputationRep:
    Bumping this as I got AS grades and spoke to teachers. Got a B in art, and thats my predicted grade for A2. Predicted C for Psychology and C for law.

I've done LOADS of research and still struggling to find Uni's with low enough entrance requirments. Im unsure of what Uni's I should be looking at.

ReputationRep:
    Kent might be worth a shot, Bangor, Nott. Trent and Chichester would be my first choices with those grades.

ReputationRep:
    Kent ask for 320 points.

ReputationRep:
    Kent are also known for being lenient - you might as well give them a try.

ReputationRep:
    Gloucester ask for CCC I think, if you're still looking.

ReputationRep:
    HERIOT WATT! :eek3: They're ranked 22nd in the Guardian league tables for psychology with the lowest requirements I've ever seen.

ReputationRep:
    I saw they were really low. I guessed I would have no chance with them though.

ReputationRep:
    I saw they were really low. I guessed I would have no chance with them though.
    Why not?

First Year Entry
    Scottish Highers BBCC
    GCE A Level CCD
    SQA Higher National Cert C in a relevant HNC. Please contact the Admissions Administrator to discuss further.
    Irish Leaving (Higher) BBCCC
    Additional Information Mathematics is required at least at GCSE grade C/Standard Grade 3 or equivalent.
    They don't specify what subjects they want you to have taken, just that you need at least CCD, which you'll have

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sakura-Chan)
    Why not?

I thought that even though they are the requirments, people with higher grades like BBB will still be applying.

ReputationRep:
    I thought that even though they are the requirments, people with higher grades like BBB will still be applying.
    Just make sure you've got a cracking personal statement, apply and see what happens
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    For goodness sake, don't choose your university based on newspaper leauge tables! Their relation to reality is tenuous at best, they are based on often irrelevant and innacurate statistics and I (along with virtually every academic member of staff I've ever had this conversation with) call them absolute ********.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.