Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum, however, I have read most of the discussions regarding these universities over the past few days. I have been accepted at St. Andrews for Masters in Analytical Finance and at TCD for Masters in Finance. I am a Canadian and have recently graduated from McGill with an undergrad in Economics. I have done three internships: one with Deutsche Bank's S&T in NYC, one with a small hedge-fund in London ($80million AUM), and one with a PE firm in Montreal. Currently, I am leaning towards St. Andrews as it is doing very well in the rankings in the UK and is (I think), also well-known with employers (from the City of London), esp. when compared to TCD. I have the following questions, please feel free to offer your opinions:

1. What top I-Banks or Consulting firms actually recruit at St. Andrews/TCD?

2. Will I have a greater chance of getting an Analyst position at an I-Bank in FO after my Masters? Have you heard of any MSc students working as fresh analysts?

3. Which university, in your opinion, will give me a better access to FO recruiting? Any tips for getting employed in London for I-Banks/hedge-funds?

Thank you all for your time and help, and suggestions will be highly welcome as I have to choose this week.

ReputationRep:
    With your stats why didn't you apply to oxford, cambridge, LSE, imperial or warwick?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jameo)
    With your stats why didn't you apply to oxford, cambridge, LSE, imperial or warwick?
    Will you knowing help him choose?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jameo)
    Maybe he's not so hung up about going to Oxbridge/LSE like everyone else seems to be. Maybe he just likes Dublin/St. Andrews...

ReputationRep:
    Let's not get off topic here please...My grandfather and my uncle went to St. Andrews, and my parents went to TCD. We were just joking around one day when my dad said..."given the economy, you should have a back-up option - apply to St. Andrews and TCD" - so I did, without knowing that I would get in or that I would go there, spending no more than an hour on the whole thing. It turns out, my job offer from a bulge-bracket got rescinded due to the state of the economy, and also, I had gotten into both of these schools. The graduate school option already seems golden.

Anyone has advice/answers to the original questions please?

ReputationRep:
    Ok dude I understand. As someone from Dublin I can't recommend it enough in terms of the people and craic. Only problem is flying over to London can be a pain. Dublin airport is a joke until new terminal is online in 2010. Theres not much between them but maybe St.Andrews has got better international rep, especially in states.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, as an Irish/Canadian here is my 2 cents. The course at TCD is new, and so does not have the reputation of the course at UCD Smurfit Business School. Having said that TCD has an excellent reputation but in terms of finance and business UCD has the better reputation. As for St. Andrew's I have no clue. I will say that the economy in Ireland is terrible right now and getting a job at AIB or BofI will be difficult whereas a UK degree might give you more options. I have a UK degree (non target) and got interviews with TD Asset Management and CIBC World Markets. A UK degree is well regarded in Canada so St. Andrews might be a better option.

ReputationRep:
    Jameo and BrianGretzky99...you bring up valid point, and thank you. Though I think TCD would be more fun, due to the Irish economy right now and St. Andrew's reputation in London, I am considering St. Andrews.

How hard is it in Britain to reach out to alumni/other professionals at bulge brackets, hedge-funds etc, compared to the states/Canada? I got all my internships through networking, by emailing people and then following up on the phone, and being persistent. Is that considered rude in Britain? In other words, would I be restricted to the employers that come to St. Andrews or can I spend the winter break in London, just meeting people and trying to get interviews...

ReputationRep:
    I think both are excellent universities, to pick one over the other would be splitting hairs. Although I admit, I'm not fully aware about the ins and outs of the specific course, I'm sure a qualification from either uni would be an asset. In my opinion, it really comes down to where you want to live. Dublin is a young and friendly capital with lots to do/see, although be warned: it can be extremely expensive. St Andrews is a LOT smaller and quieter, so for that reason I'd rule out St Andrews. But as I said, it really comes down to what you would prefer.

ReputationRep:
    I thought about that, but then it came down to job opportunities versus having fun during the year. Moreover, since MSc is going to be way more intense than college, I'll hardly have time to drink enough to be moderately hung-over the next day...My uncle lives in Dublin so I'll be visiting for a week.

ReputationRep:
    Networking is key regardless of where you are, stateside or UK. Either uni will get you an interview, once in an interview it doesnt matter. Scotland is known more for fund management/asset management than IB so Im sure St.Andrews has links to the major Scottish fund houses. As for the BB's in London I think you would have to contact alumni which it seems you have experience doing.

ReputationRep:
    I can tell you that (almost) all of the investment banks(GS, MS, ML, DB etc) and all of the strat cons(Mckinsey, BCG, Bain) put a decent amount of effort into recruiting at Trinity and will have events there over the year. If your record is good enough, you;ll have a good chance. Afew people I know, including myself, have got offers at TCD. But its obviously, not like Oxbridge or LSE where the name will carry you a long way.

I don't know a lot about the MSc. Finance because it's quite new, but Prof. Lucey is a good guy and seems to be putting a lot of effort into getting it off the ground. I think it'll be well taught and rigorous. It has no real reputation though. And for academia, e.g. applying to LSE orOxbridge for a Phd., Trinity postgrads are not well regarded in general, esp. for economics

I have to say that I don't think one will help you more than the other when applying for jobs. But the actual course content might be different. Is Analytical Finance not different to plain finance, i.e. more quant orientated. Maybe you should investigate that further since the St. Andrews Msc. might set you up for really technical jobs, which the TCD vanilla finance msc. mightn't do. This is probably the only thing that will set one apart from the other.

ReputationRep:
    The point about Investment Mgmt in Scotland is interesting. I didn't know about it before. Thanks. Yes, the Analytical finance is a more technical degree, allowing me to go into research for investment management as well as derivative trading, which is something I would like to explore as I have been studying financial derivatives for the past year in college. However, I didn't know that the BB's and consulting firms recruited at TCD. Currently, this is what I think. TCD will give me better access to recruiters on campus, but the Irish economy sucks so it's questionable how many recruiters will be coming this fall and how many kids they'll be hiring. St. Andrews, on the other hand, is just as prestigious, if not more (esp. internationally due to the Prince William factor), it's cheaper, a smaller town where I'd like to spend a year, and gives me access to the London job market. Hence, St. Andrews it is. Anyone else who goes to/went to these schools? Thanks to all those who already weighed in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gorton15)
    The point about Investment Mgmt in Scotland is interesting. I didn't know about it before. Thanks. Yes, the Analytical finance is a more technical degree, allowing me to go into research for investment management as well as derivative trading, which is something I would like to explore as I have been studying financial derivatives for the past year in college. However, I didn't know that the BB's and consulting firms recruited at TCD. Currently, this is what I think. TCD will give me better access to recruiters on campus, but the Irish economy sucks so it's questionable how many recruiters will be coming this fall and how many kids they'll be hiring. St. Andrews, on the other hand, is just as prestigious, if not more (esp. internationally due to the Prince William factor), it's cheaper, a smaller town where I'd like to spend a year, and gives me access to the London job market. Hence, St. Andrews it is. Anyone else who goes to/went to these schools? Thanks to all those who already weighed in...
    I think that reasoning sounds pretty fair, plus think of the golf . Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.