Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    How long does it take to become

a) doctor
    b) GP

?

ReputationRep:
    for a gp you have to do your 5year degree, 2 foundation years, then 3years vocational training before you become fully qualified.

for a hospital doctor you have to do your 5year degree, 2 foundation years, then probally around 5 years training depending on your speciality area.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gibbogersfan)
    for a gp you have to do your 5year degree, 2 foundation years, then 3years vocational training before you become fully qualified.

for a hospital doctor you have to do your 5year degree, 2 foundation years, then probally around 5 years training depending on your speciality area.
    thanks for the info but how about if you go to med school ?

ReputationRep:
    The UG training lasts 4, 5, 6 or even 7 years depending on which MBBS course you take.

You would then do the two Foundation Program years.

The old VTS scheme is being abandoned in favour of an ST pathway lasting 5 or 6 years and making more hospital rotations compulsory.

Hospital speciality ST pathways are usually 6 or 7 years.

It's worth pointing out that these are the minimum defined training times, most qualified GPs will locum for a period of time before they are taken on by a practice and it will be many years until they are invited to become a partner. Similarly, people completing the hospital ST programs could be looking for consultant jobs for a couple of years, depending on their speciality. Also, there's absolutely no guarantees of getting onto the ST pathway that you want and you could spend a couple of years at FY2 level if you don't get a job.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dumbgeek)
    thanks for the info but how about if you go to med school ?
    As above... :curious:

ReputationRep:
    It's like 13 years (? I'm not sure on this one).

It's not all fun and games. I highly recommend work experience to see if you'd really like it. All these hospital drama shows are misleading.

:shock:

ReputationRep:
    You do your degree at med school which can take between 4 and 6 years. Different Unis have different courses so for example if you had a degree from somewhere else in a related subject like anatomy or pharmacology for example you could do a degree in 4 yrs at some places. Most Uni's it's 5yrs for the standard course but some traditional unis like oxford for example have 6yr courses. It's up to you which one you'd like to do. As soon as you're qualified you are a doctor but youare 1. the lowest of the low junior doctor and 2 you don't get properly registered with the GMC until you've done your first two years. These years are called foundation years and you'll do various different rotations and types of work throughout these. The rest is as stated above. I just thought I'd clarify because none of the above ones seem to mention that your are actually a doctor (although without being fully registered by the GMC) after you start work once you've successfully passed your degree at medical school.

ReputationRep:
    From all my research it would take 7 years to become a fully qualified gp
    I'm doing it ! Hope I get my place at Manchester university !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DoctorR)
    From all my research it would take 7 years to become a fully qualified gp
    I'm doing it ! Hope I get my place at Manchester university !!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Minimum of 10.... Assuming you go straight into med school from a levels.

ReputationRep:
    5/6 years at uni

2 years foundation

An extra 5 years for General Practice Training.

~13 years in total

ReputationRep:
    Quite simple.

4 - 6 years undergraduate training.
    Foundation programme (F1 and F2) - 2 years
    18 months hospital specialty
    18 months GP registrar
    Then you qualify as a GP.

If you go through normal channels you can be a GP by 28.

Cheers, Gareth

Poll
Which accompaniment is best?
Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.