Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheap i-pod @ £13.13 - fridays amazon mistake watch

ReputationRep:
    Im guessing no one has recieved there ipod yet!!!

ReputationRep:
    Personally, I'd just argue false advertisement and fight to get my tenners worth of iPod. They can make all the excuses they want (whether true or not) but they said the price was so-and-so, you allowed them access to your bank details, and they pulled out to your disadvantage.

Fight it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by killerjane)
    Personally, I'd just argue false advertisement and fight to get my tenners worth of iPod. They can make all the excuses they want (whether true or not) but they said the price was so-and-so, you allowed them access to your bank details, and they pulled out to your disadvantage.

Fight it
    Despite the law saying otherwise.

If the price was a mistake (which it obvious was), then you have no legal right at all to get the product for that price.

Since this thread has been dug up, has anyone actually got their iPod from them? I doubt it.

ReputationRep:
    I also doubt it, but false advertisment is false advertisment. Surely the folk behind amazon have to do rigorous checks before they allow an item to go online? Surely this involves checking and double checking that correct information is provided before the public are allowed to see it?

I only say this because of my experience in shops. I am well aware it's not the same, but if I go into a shop and buy a jumper that says £10 on all the tags but it comes up at £20 at the till, I am well within my rights to demand the jumper at the price advertised. My mother is one person who rigorously lives by this rule

ReputationRep:
    I also doubt it, but false advertisment is false advertisment. Surely the folk behind amazon have to do rigorous checks before they allow an item to go online? Surely this involves checking and double checking that correct information is provided before the public are allowed to see it?

I only say this because of my experience in shops. I am well aware it's not the same, but if I go into a shop and buy a jumper that says £10 on all the tags but it comes up at £20 at the till, I am well within my rights to demand the jumper at the price advertised. My mother is one person who rigorously lives by this rule
    you're actually not, entitled to it apparantly, but many shops do it for good will and lack of a headache. I always thought this was the case too, but it does not allow for mistakes, people putting things in the wrong place intentionally etc.. It's an offence if they continue to advertise it, or if it is intentionally misleading however according to the http://www.oft.gov.uk/

They aren't however, allowed to continue to advertise at the price under law.

An advertised price is simply a solicitation for an offer, and is not a binding contract.

it's like going into an estate agents for a posh part of London, seing houses for £1.54M £2.72M and £3.66. if they were bound, then screwed isn't the word :laugh:

A shop keeper is not legally bound to sell you anything, so can choose to cancel the transaction or honour the price. which he does is reflected on how severe the mistake and their discretion. iirc The 'palpable error' clause in UK law says that a business does not have to honour prices falsely advertised as a result of gross error or sabotage

ReputationRep:

Actually, your wrong on that.
    If it is a mistake, then you have no legal right to have it for the cheaper price.
    If however they are advertising it at a lower price in order to try to get more sales, then that is illegal.

As said though, a lot of places will let you have it for the cheaper price as a good will gesture to keep your custom.

Also, with this, its not amazon who are selling it, its a 3rd party marketplace seller.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough mate Thanks for chasing me down on every little thing (Y)

ReputationRep:
    An IT technician where I used to work got offered a new job on £20k or so. The company had accidentally given him the supervisors contract which was £25k, when they realised they sent him a new contract.

He refused to sign the new contract saying that if they had made an error in giving him the wrong contract it was tough, they'd signed it, he'd signed it, he would work as a supervisor and they could pay him £25k. He went round work telling everybody and anybody that he was going to fight this in court and win etc etc

He went to court, spent a lot of money in legal fees, and lost. Worst bit for him was that everybody at work knew the story by then and was laughing at him.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.