(Original post by cowsgoquack)
    yeahhhhhhhhhhh!
    dell recently sold 150k monitors for £9 each and had to honour it

saw it on msn news but heres a link

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...21405427.shtml

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jabed786)
    wtf?!
    Isnt that a breach of advertising legislations where the business has to sell it to you at the price that is advertised. Even if it was a error - its like at a shop, if they accidently placed £8 price tage on a leather jacket when its supposed to be £80 - then they have to give it to you for £8 dont they?
    No, a shop doesn't have to sell you anything.

Most times they do simply as matter of good PR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    dell recently sold 150k monitors for £9 each and had to honour it

saw it on msn news but heres a link

http://www.techdirt.com/articles/200...21405427.shtml
    Taiwan does not practice English law

ReputationRep:
    Someone who received a cancellation e-mail should challenge it and see what they say.

ReputationRep:
    It will be interesting to see about the people who claimed they had the money taken form them :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neodymium)
    who's in your sig
    lol, I love it - you're the third person in the last 60 minutes or so who asks her that very question (at least the third one I've seen and noticed, but I'm not stalking the girl so there might have been even more, mind you) - basically, wherever she posts, someone seems to ask her about that

it's Gina Carano. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Taiwan does not practice English law

They should! at least just on this occasion anyway! :p:

nice hope while it lasted anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    No.

This explains it well:

The Shop Has to Sell at the Displayed Price
    This is another common consumer misconception. If you see an item priced at what you think is an absolute bargain – beware. If a shop misprices an item, and for example misses a zero from the displayed price, you might think that you can walk up to the till and insist that you’re allowed to take the goods away at the displayed price. This is actually wrong. It comes down to basic contract law, and a price label on goods is what’s called, 'an invitation to treat' – that is, an invitation for you as a consumer to make the seller an offer to buy those goods.

You make the offer of the price stated on the goods – at this point if the seller realises that there has been an error, they can refuse to sell you the goods and tell you that they will sell them to you at the correct price. You cannot insist that they sell the item to you for the stated price – in fact you can’t actually insist that they sell the goods to you at all.

There may be an exception to this rule but it’s covered by criminal legislation - The Control of Misleading Advertisements Regulations. This means that although you can’t insist on a shop selling you something at an advertised price, if they have specifically advertised an item at one price but charge another price for it, and if they continue to do so after you have pointed out their error, they are committing an offence. If you suspect that a shop is deliberately trying to mislead customers, you should notify your local Trading Standards team.

http://www.consumerrightsexpert.co.u...nceptions.html
    Hmm I see.

the last paragraph (control of misleading advert....) is what I thought would apply to the amazon ipod error but , I guess you are right and I will have to trust you since your an Cambridge law student :hmmm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drewski)
    I haven't recieved an email yet, maybe mine's going through? :ninja:

:p:

[Hey, I can dream...]

I was wrong. Just got it [the email!].

Ah well, I never thought I'd actually get the thing.

ReputationRep:
    How do we know this was not some little publicity stunt? Sure has drummed up some interest for Amazon and hasn't cost them anything as they have just cancelled the orders.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    They should! at least just on this occasion anyway! :p:

nice hope while it lasted anyway

No, you'd want England to follow Taiwanese law...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rian1988)
    How do we know this was not some little publicity stunt? Sure has drummed up some interest for Amazon and hasn't cost them anything as they have just cancelled the orders.

Yeah, because amazon isn't a well known name at all....:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jesty)
    Well to anyone that managed to order the i-pod touches mis priced at £8.90 each I have recieved this today.

"Dear Customer,

We write to advise you that all orders placed with us on the Friday 10th July have had to be cancelled.

This was due to a corrupt file causing incorrect prices being advertised on Amazon.

Please accept our apologies for any disappointment and inconvenience this may have caused.

Your Credit/Debit card has NOT been charged and no further action is required.

You will recieve confirmation that you order has been cancelled from Amazon in due course.

Kind Regards

Customer Services

IT Hardware Direct Ltd"

Im not totally convinced because it should have been rectified before being advertised. Should I give up on this or complain and try fight for getting one sent to me?

p.s this was the thread http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...5#post20008355
    Thought that would happen :p: - I think in cases where the product is blatantly under priced then there's nothing wrong with shops canceling orders so long as it's through error.Which I think was the case here - I remember one occasion when Dabs actually went after someone who bought huge amounts of stuff whcih was clearly under priced.But I recall Ebuyer allowing someone to buy up some very cheap networking gear once.

ReputationRep:
    So is play.com, doesn't mean they can't get there name out more.

ReputationRep:
    these things happen all the time, no retailler is going to give you the item after such an error 'beyond their control'. Can but hope though..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by letsdothetimewarpagain)
    It will be interesting to see about the people who claimed they had the money taken form them :holmes:
    No one actual had the money taken per se , and certainly not by IT hardware.
    When the order is placed Amazon notifies the bank/credit card comp and the amount it held (so reduced from your available balance) but not actually transferred. Money is neither taken nor transferred to IT hardware until dispatch.
    This is all that happened.

But it was IT hardware Direct Ltd, not Amazon.
    And why would not selling products due to a pricing erroe damage reputation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aKarma)
    No one actual had the money taken per se , and certainly not by IT hardware.
    When the order is placed Amazon notifies the bank/credit card comp and the amount it held (so reduced from your available balance) but not actually transferred. Money is neither taken nor transferred to IT hardware until dispatch.
    This is all that happened.
    oh right that makes sense :yes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Stranger in Moscow)
    Well, from my experience with physical shops, they have to sell the item for what it has been priced at.
    Common misconception - it works if there's not too much difference in price, but when you blatantly know something is a misprice, the shop - online or otherwise - does not have to sell an item to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by aKarma)
    But it was IT hardware Direct Ltd, not Amazon.
    And why would not selling products due to a pricing erroe damage reputation?

To all intents and purposes, it was Amazon. Anybody looking at it and buying it, would say they "got it off amazon".

And I never said it would.

ReputationRep:
    I'm new to Amazon and wondering if I can still neg feedback the company for being such cocks? :tongue:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2009
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.